“Not worth the price”

Le Meridien Abu Dhabi
Ranked #63 of 127 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
“Not worth the price”
Reviewed 27 September 2009

We stayed here for two nights on a stopover in Abu Dhabi. Given it is a "5 star" hotel and it was expensive we were very disappointed. The room was average and overlooked a uninspiring back courtyard. The whole hotel looked a little tired and in need of a makeover. Buffet breakfast offered a good selection, but once again service was only just average. It was ramadan during our stay so this may have contributed to the overall feel of the place. I wouldn't stay here again and couldn't recommend it.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
CyrielleSoulbieu, Public Relations Manager at Le Meridien Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 16 May 2011
Dear GW33,
I feel sorry you did not enjoy yourself quite as you expected. Our hotel was one of the first hotels built in Abu Dhabi and we believe that this is what gives it a lot of charm and character. We try to offer our guests a homely feeling and a good service. The Holy month of Ramadan is indeed quieter than the rest of the year. However all our outlets are open at night and have a normal service. Your remarks have been shared internally so we would be able to make your stay really enjoyable in the future.
Marketing & PR Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
London
Reviewed 19 August 2009

After some problems with the hotel taking payment and me almost cancelling, I was told they had sorted out the issue and had upgraded me to the royal club room with the exec lounge access so was happy even before we arrived :-)

There were a few problems with check in as the booking didnt actually have the upgrade mentioned but thankfully i had the email with the converations i had with the reservations manager so this was honoured. The room we were initally given had a really bad damp smell and was moved and given a airwick plug in as the 2nd room also had a slight smell..lol after that everything else was great, the pools are nice, and free watermelon is given out in the afternoon but beware that on mondays and tuesdays there was a large group of children who I can only presume were on some playcentre/holiday camp thing that take over the pool area for 2 hours in the morning so this may only happen during school holiday but it did spoil things a bit as my kids (and other guests) felt a bit strange using the pools whilst there were so many other children using it.

The room is a good size, the Hermes toiletries were wonderful and still trying to find a way of getting some sent over..lol, nothing was too much trouble for the staff, they were all so friendly and helpful, breakfast is nice and lots of choice. We never had dinner there so can not comment, but if the cakes offered in the executive lounge and breakfast was anything to go by then I am sure it was nice. The hotel is next to the mall and loads of shops witin walking distance so very handy

The only downside is the fact that smoking is allowed in the lobby, bar and resturant area, and this is also a reason we did not eat dinner there as it was too much for me let alone my 2 children, other than that a nice place to stay even if old fashioned and worn

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank hoxtonbabe
Dear hoxtonbabe,
Thank you for sharing with us your impressions of our hotel. I am delighted that you found service and facilities useful and enjoyable. We follow a strict non-smoking policy in designated non smoking areas as per the local law regulations and we launched a new sustainable restaurant at Le Bistrot – Sustainable Cuisine which is totally non-smoking. I sincerely hope you will visit us again and I would be happy for you to enjoy our new sustainable restaurant.
Edinburgh
Reviewed 25 July 2009

Thoroughly enjoyed 9 nights at Le Meridien in July. Impressed by customer service and genuine welcoming nature of all staff. Hotel is located beside Abu Dhabi mall and is a good, central location for everything you need to see in the city. Excellent variety of restaurants in hotel and pool areas are well shaded with a ready supply of umbrellas. A very relaxing holiday and would definetely return, highly recommended.
Received a lovely anniversary cake just after checking in which was a wonderful touch and really appreciated.
If you're looking for a taxi however, avoid the cabs at the hotel, they're limousine cabs and at least twice the price of local cabs. Take a walk up to the taxi rank at the Abu Dhabi Mall to save you a few dirham.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Erchie01
Dear Erchie0,
I am happy you enjoyed your holiday at our hotel. It is our aim to offer our guests the best in service and accommodation. Our facilities are especially designed to give our guests a feel of relax and well-being. I would like to inform you that two categories of taxis are available at the hotel: the limousine taxis and the standard taxis that you can find anywhere in the city for a cheaper price.
I would like to thank you again for your review. We are looking forward to having you with us again.
Sydney
Reviewed 28 May 2009

Staff, Hotel Restaurant (Bistro) Meals & Accomodation... Acceptable.
All Restaurants, Bars & seating areas are predominantly SMOKING with minimal space for NON SMOKERS. Hotel Bistro has SMOKING & NON SMOKING tables seperated by an open railing!!! Inside bar & Tea Lounge ALL SMOKING. If you are allergic to cigarette smoke this is not the Hotel for you. SMOKING problem applies to ALL external Restaurants & Bars.
Do not book any room above the "Garden" Bars & RESTAURANTS, especially the Sports Bar, where TV volume dial is "loud to very loud " & Bar closes at 0130 HRS...we were in room 274 above the Bar TV & unable to sleep until after the bar closed at 0130 hrs due to the volume of noise from TV & Sports Bare customers on patio. Complained three times with no noise reduction.
Would we recommend this Hotel to others ....NO WAY unless the SMOKING & NOISE problems are fixed.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MongoliaSydney
Dear MongoliaSydney,
Thank you very much for taking the time the write a review of our hotel. It is very important to us to offer the best service as possible to our guests and I feel saddened reading that you were disturbed by the smoke in many areas. Kindly be aware that we follow a strict non-smoking policy in designated non smoking areas as per the new local law regulations and we launched a new sustainable restaurant at Le Bistrot – Sustainable Cuisine which is from now on a totally non-smoking restaurant.
I only hope that you will decide to visit us again in the future, so that all these concerns will be taken care off.
Manila
Reviewed 20 May 2009

Booked to stay there purely due to the brand name and the reality was - A good name does not make a good hotel.

First off, the staff seemed to have the idea that guests are stupid and they can make lame excuses to make the complaining guest go away. First morning during breakfast, there were 2 waiters against 10 tables. They could just not cope. At 7am sharp a troupe of another 3-4 staff memebers walked in looking like they just woke up. You never appreciate piped music until the one you're dining in doesn't have any. When I asked the staff about it he said, "oh, it's broken." Funnily enough, the next morning there was a pianist entertaining the diners. So yesterday was his fingers 'broken'?

Upon entering the room, you are struck by how small it is. The TV is of the old cathode ray type being about 1 meter thick. Nowadays, LCD TV's are not that expensive and from the room rates they charge, I don't see why they don't invest in some. Small counter table to place your laptop and the chair was a normal dining chair. I missed the armrests, leaning back and swivel function of an office chair. The wall sockets on the table were not universal and you had to ask for an adapter if you didn't have the same type of plugs. They say you get a view of the sea, but they don't tell you that you also get views of ugly construction sites off the coasts as well as power lines.

Later on, I came back to the room at about 10pm and was surprised to find that the room was not turned down, a normal service in other hotels. I opened the door and asked the room attendant about the lack of service. I was told that turn down service is only for SPG (Sheraton Preferred Guest) members and suites. Immediately I felt that I was like a minority in the hotel. That I was not as welcome here as an SPG member. I asked him to repeat that so that I am sure I wasn't making these things up in my mind. No big deal. You just fold the bed runner, place it in the cabinet, close the drapes and fold up the corner of the blanket. Normally there is a complimentary chocolate and the breakfast menu placed on the pillow to encourage you to order. None of those. Only for SPG members though.

In the morning I opened the door to grab the newspaper hanging on my doorknob but - suprise, surprise - none to be found. I called the reception desk to ask for it but it never came.

The business center was small and had only 2 sets of PCs which was both occupied when I had to use it.

The duty manager did try to solve our problems but it was too little, too late.

Verdict - if you're in town for business, don't stay at the Le Meridien.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank Kapowguy
CyrielleSoulbieu, Public Relations Manager at Le Meridien Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 18 May 2011
Dear Kapowguy,
I feel so sorry you didn’t find your stay at our hotel comfortable. Our associates always try to offer the best service to our guests. They are quite popular for their friendliness; I deeply regret that they didn’t meet your expectations this time.
Please be certain that all your remarks have been passed along internally. I only hope you will decide to join us again in the future so we will be given another chance to make your stay enjoyable.
Francais a Paris
Reviewed 21 April 2009

i had the chance to stay in Le Meridian Abu dhabi for holiday with my family
The location, the service and the staff are perfect and give an excellent image of the hospitality industry
This is the only place in Abudhabi with such an FB outlet offer with a green play area for kids
Choose their sea food buffet on monday evening, it is simply the best I ever tried

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank les4mary
Dear les4mary,
Thank you so much for sharing with us your feedback of Le Meridien Abu Dhabi. It is inspiring to know that you enjoyed our outlets and the hotel facilities. I am delighted you enjoyed the Seafood Night at La Brasserie restaurant.
I sincerely hope to see you again very soon.
Delhi
Reviewed 15 April 2009

An old looking hotel with old decor rooms. Very good food options; lot of restaurants in fact a full food court. Very disappointing TV sets in the room and old carpets in the lobby and passages

Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank VIKAS C
lemeridien_abudhabi, Marketing Manager at Le Meridien Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 27 April 2009
Dear Vikaschadha,

This year our hotel celebrates 30 years of continued success; hence the style is more classic than the more modern hotels which opened in the area in the recent years.

We are glad you mentioned our great asset which is our Méridien Village, celebrating world famous cuisines packed in 14 restaurants and bars varying from Italian, Thai, French to American and British, overlooking the lush garden with a gentle sea breeze.
We hope to see you back again soon.

With warm regards,