“pity about the building site”

Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort
Ranked #50 of 129 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
london
“pity about the building site”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

Abu Dhabi is much like all Emirates in so much that construction is an addiction. I stayed at this hotel for two days inm late October 2011 and tried to relax next to the pool only to be surrounded by the constant loud noise from a construction site directly opposite the lagoon. There is no way of getting away from the noise! A tip for travellers not in the Club rooms is that the staff in the Club lounge do not check room numbers and have no idea iof you are a club member or not. So if you want to cut your food costs, just use the club lounge for free. A compensation for the noise.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
sheraton_abudhabi1, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 25 October 2011
Dear Capetown,

Thank you for posting a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. I was sorry to learn that you stay was marred by the construction around the hotel which unfortunately is out of our control - but the good news here is, that we have been advised by the local authorities that the major works will be completed by the end of November 2011 and therefore, the majority of the concerns you pointed out in your review will be solved. Thank you as well for pointing out our lack of control at the Club Lounge – we will review this matter internally in order to ensure that the proper controls will be in place from now on. I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel again soon and I look forward to the opportunity to welcome you personally. Until then, I remain with kind regards,

thomasvan.opstal@sheraton.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Mumbai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2011

I stayed in this hotel during JUly 2011 and found it is good. The break fast has lots of variety and filling. The eroom was neet and good. The bath room is awesome.

Room Tip: Good to stay from 6 th floor onwards
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
sheraton_abudhabi1, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 23 October 2011
Dear Sridharan,

Thank you very much for posting a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor after your recent stay at our hotel. Your comments are very encouraging and I am delighted to you were satisfied with the breakfast selection at our Flavours Restaurant. Likewise, I was pleased that you enjoyed your room and bathroom and I do hope that we will have an opportunity in the not too distant future to welcome you back to our hotel. I look very much forward to meeting you personally then and for now remain with kind regards,

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2011

After researching and reading previous trip advisor comments I was a little uneasy about this Hotel. Decided to go against my better judgement and book. SO GLAD I did, we had A GREAT time here, yes the construction is a pain at times, but having said that, there is always a taxi out the front and very cheap to go by taxi.
Check in was perfect, fast and efficient. I had booked a club room which included a city view (we were not bothered by any noise from the construction) with breaky (fantastic, all you need, so friendly and looked after my daughter. THANK YOU ) and club lounge benefits, light food, drinks and at night alcohol, which we took full advantage of and again service was fast and efficient.
My husband, 7 year old daughter and myself had no trouble in a king size room and found it very comfortable, great bed and bathroom. Very clean and well kept hotel from rooms to outside areas.
There is a play area near the kids pool with kids club but we did not use it.
We ventured to the beach part once, it was good, but far to hot for us.
When we first arrived we had both the childrens pool (great area with life guard) and the adult pool practically to ourselves, which was great. Kids pool has slide and waterfall. Perfect to entertain the kids. Service at the swim up bar friendly and fast. Water in the pool cool (which is hard to find in Dubai or Abu) such a relief to cool off with a swim. On our last day the hotel was very busy and the pool area very crowded. If I had to pick on anything that would be my only thing and this would not stop me from staying at this great hotel again. Our family travels every year to lots of places and this hotel would stand up as one of my hotels to visit again. THANK YOU SHERATON.
We visited Ferrari World while staying here. See review.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Lynda S
Dear Lynda S.,

Thank you very much for your kind review of our hotel on TripAdvisor! I truly appreciate your comments and was very pleased that you enjoyed a relaxing family vacation at our resort. I do hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel soon and I look forward to meeting you personally soon – having lived in wonderful Melbourne when I opened the Sheraton Towers Southgate, I always enjoy meeting Melbournians and get updated on what’s happening in Australia’s best city! Please let me know when you are returning to Abu Dhabi – I look very much forward to meeting you! Until then, I remain with kind regards,

New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2011

This is a perfectly fine mid-level chain, but there is nothing five-star about it except for the prices. Service is mediocre:

--I sent down dry cleaning as soon as I checked in (6 pm) and confirmed that it would be returned by the following afternoon. When I returned to my room the next evening, it was not there; when I called and asked about it, they brought it up with some kind of chalk marks all over the skirt that had not been there previously.
--Housekeeping at one point knocked on the door and entered immediately without giving me a chance to tell them not to come in. They should always knock twice.
--Room service guys always came all the way into the room and closed the door behind them. I was staying by myself and I am not comfortable being in a room with a male employee with the door closed, but whenever I tried to keep the door open or stay near the door, they would ask me to step out of the way and close it. I've never seen another hotel do that; a little training required here.
--It would be nice if part of the lobby was designated nonsmoking, especially near the cafe where the food is kept/served - the whole area stank of smoke at all times.
--Please provide decent hairdryers! The hotel has the ones that requires you to hold the button down instead of an on/off switch. Holding the button down (with a fair amount of force) is really annoying for those of us with long, thick hair that takes about 20 minutes to dry.
--Housekeeping was perfunctory; when I checked into the room, there was a hanger dangling from a lamp that remained there throughout my stay; towels were not removed/hung up every day.

--On the plus side, the woman in the business center was very nice and did not charge me to print out an e-mail.

Overall, the hotel is fine - but at these prices, and given what else is available nearby at the same price point, I expect better.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
sheraton_abudhabi1, Deputy General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 19 October 2011
Dear Eyes on TheHorizon,

I firstly would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor and you may rest assured that we take them seriously and always use such feedback to further improve on our service offering.

I am of course disappointed of your overall experience and can imagine how frustrating some of the issues you encountered with our Housekeeping may have been. This particular department is usually outstanding and we pride ourselves of our services, as you may see from most reviews rightfully so. On this occasion, it seems that we have failed to deliver on our promise and I apologies for this. I will personally look into all areas that you have mentioned to ensure such occurrences do not happen in the future.

I wish you would have contacted us directly during your stay as it would have allowed us to rectify all events immediately and would have certainly made your stay more comfortable.

I am happy that you nonetheless appreciated the overall hotel and recognized some of our associates with whom your positive comments will be shared.

I remain at your disposal should you decide to come back to Abu Dhabi in the future and entrust us with your comfort once again.

Thank you again for your kind feedback and warm regards

Yves
Deputy General Manager
Kabul, Afghanistan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

Location is very demanding. Food quality is an asset. Room service is very prompt. Cleanness and friendly enviroment with high speed internet at business centre are invitable features of the hotel.

Room Tip: Sheraton Hotel has an extraordinary location right in the heart of the city. Food quality and prompt...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
sheraton_abudhabi1, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 13 October 2011
Dear FahimHaki,

Thank you very much for posting a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. I was very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and that you were satisfied with the level of service and the amenities we provide to our guests. I do hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel again soon and I look forward to meeting you personally on this occasion.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

Stayed at the Sheraton Abu Dhabii Hotel, which was more than disappointing. The first room we had we asked for another room immediately. It was so small and there was no where to put anything, Two people could not walk around the bed and the same time. The second room we had, with a sitting room, and kitchen, and bedroom, which was two big but at least we could move. Restaurants not brilliant and outside in the pool area the lunch restaurant was dreadful. It was right next to the pool which was noisy and crowded. Not up to Middle eastern standards.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel, as one side faces the busy road and the other a noisy pool
  • Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
sheraton_abudhabi1, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 12 October 2011
Dear Breeze184,

Thank you very much for posting a review about our hotel on TripAdvisor. I was sorry to learn that you were disappointed with your stay at our hotel and that you felt that neither our rooms, the restaurants nor the pool of the hotel met your expectations.

As you can see from the other reviews on TripAdvisor, you views differ greatly from the many positive reviews we have had about our hotel and I was therefore surprised to read your review. I am not sure what went wrong during your visit to our hotel and I would therefore appreciate it if you could contact me directly to let me know what particular issues marred your stay with us. I also hope that your travel plans will bring you back to Abu Dhabi soon as I would appreciate it if you were to stay with us again and experience the true hospitality of our hotel – I would be delighted to make the necessary room reservations for you and hope that I would then have an opportunity to meet with you personally. In the meantime I remain,

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2011

Our family stayed at the Sheraton for about 6 weeks 2 years ago when we were moving to Abu Dhabi. We had a wonderful stay and we try to visit as frequently as we can. We went to El Sombrero last night and one of the waitresses, Michelle, remembered us from 2 years ago. She was so happy to see us as were our children to see her. It was so nice to be remembered! Then as we were leaving one of the car valets remembered us too and shook our hands. This made it a special night for us because the Sheraton was our starting point for living in Abu Dhabi. All the staff made us feel welcome and even 2 years later they still do. Well done!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank AbuDhabiDoo
sheraton_abudhabi1, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 6 October 2011
Dear AbuDhabiDoo,

Thank you very much for posting a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. I was very pleased to learn that you continue to return to our hotel after you had spent six weeks with us a few years ago and that my colleagues continue to provide you with the type of personalized service our hotel has become known for.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to serve your family and you again soon and if there is ever anything I can assist you with, please do not hesitate to let me know.