“will construction in the UAE ever cease?”

Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort
Ranked #48 of 129 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
New York City, New York
“will construction in the UAE ever cease?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2011

We arrived around 10 PM from an exhausting and long flight. Our room was ready, with a small balcony as requested. Check in was swift and cordial. But when we got to our room we were disappointed that although it faced the sea, it also faced a vast construction project which no one mentioned when we booked the room.
We asked for a room on the other side, even though it faced the traffic. But on the other side the road was being repaired and the buildings across the way were being demolished! So, back to the first room. Actually it was small, cozy, well decorated and had very nice bath amenities. From our little balcony we could see the pool, lagoon, the corniche and the sea...and of course, the cranes.

The hotel is very well located for walking around the city (once you learn to weave in and out of construction sites). And the hotel is just a short taxi to the fish souk which is incredible. If you buy a fresh fish they will have it cleaned for you and then take it over to a cooking area where dozens of small vendors will grill your fish, add salad and rice and you can eat it right there or take it on a picnic or back to your hotel room!
We also enjoyed the Hanoi Restaurant near the hotel, on Hamden bin Mohammed Street just west of East Road, which serves wonderful Vietnam specialities.
The hotel itself has 5 restaurants but they are not open 24 hours so travelers arriving with jet lag must adjust to their rigid restaurant hours, although room service is always available.
The Italian restaurant, La Mama, is very good and Jenny, who waited on us, was a total delight.
The concierge, however, didn't seem familiar with Abu Dhabi, and that was frustrating.

The rest of the staff were alert, caring, personable and really offered warm attention. An example is Ms. Bini, who managed to reserve the same room for us on each of our three returns, and added many small courtesies during our stay.
We would definitely stay here again and hope, in the meantime, the destruction and construction in the UAE declines.

Room Tip: until construction stops can there be any "good' rooms. Still facing the sea is so beautifu...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Yves446, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 29 December 2011
Dear Akachan 21,

I firstly would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel on tripadvisor as we take such firsthand customer comments very seriously and use them to improve on our service offering.

I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and are likely to return in the future. I was especially pleased that our associates managed to make you feel very welcomed and took good care of you and you may rest assured that your comments will be shared with them. I was also happy that you enjoyed the different restaurant options we offer and found the food quality to your liking.

The hotel is indeed well located and allows easy access to most of what the city has to offer. In regards to the constructions taking place in town, while sometimes frustrating, they are done with a goal to beautify the city and offer upgraded facilities to travellers in the future.

I certainly hope that you will be contacting me directly should you decide to come back for a future visit in order to make the arrangement personally and in order to meet you during your stay.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel.

Warm regards

Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2011

My wife and I stayed recently in the Sheraton Abu Dhabi Resort. It was during the Eid holidays so the hotel was full. The first impression was awful. No car park space. The woman at the front desk wanted to give us the normal classic room. My wife is gold member and so you get usual an upgrade. I asked her and she insisted that there are no upgrades on that member ship level. After a long discussion and showing her the gold member benefits in the spg website she then gave us an upgrade to a club room - which was very nice but the first impression was gone.
The rooms are very small but the bath room is huge compare to the rest. They are equipped with everything you need (DVD player, walk in shower, comfortable bed). The club lounge is one the smallest I have ever seen. It is in a suite room and has about 6 tables and small buffet line. The snacks were fine and the service good but slow.
The building looks like it is 30 years already but I heard it is only 10 years old anyway not that nice.
The nice thign is the little "resort" area they have. The "beach" access below the street level. Not bad and very relaxing.
The location is not bad direct at the Corniche and not far from the older part of the city.
We had dinner at the Spanish restaurant and the food there was great.
Be careful there is a huge construction site in front of the hotel and it can be very noisy. We were lucky only the last day of our stay they actually workd but then it was very noisy.

1 Thank SAT33
Yves446, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 27 December 2011
Dear customer,

Thank you for posting a review about your recent stay with us on Tripadvisor and about your loyalty to Starwood hotel in general as one of our SPG Gold Members.

I reviewed your comments carefully and was left with mixed feeling myself.

In regards to the construction site directly in front of the hotel, I am happy to inform you that the construction work is over and we are now only left with few workers further down on the opposite side of the hotel which does not represent a disturbance anymore and allows an easy and improved access to the hotel.

I was happy to hear that you enjoy the food and beverage offering of the hotel as well as our resort area and your comments will be shared with our associates who always take pride in our customer’s satisfaction.

I am sorry for your arrival experience, we do try and offer upgrades as much as we can but we have limited number of suites and when the hotel is on such high occupancy we sometimes have to decline. On this occasion it was obvious that a club room was available and should have been offered to you earlier on to avoid any frustration.

Considering our Club Lounge facilities, which are sufficient most of the time, we have opened access to our main breakfast buffet to all Club members and offer the evening happy hour and warm snacks in our Cigar Lounge the Cloud Nine. This was, we easily manage the flow of customers staying on our Club floor.

The Sheraton Abu Dhabi is one of the first hotels that opened in town over 30 years ago and we have kept the outside structure of the hotel as it represents the shape of a Castle in sand colors and fits with the overall Arabian experience perfectly. The rest of the hotel on the other hand has been entirely renovated a few years ago and offers all modern comfort.

I hope that you will come again to Abu Dhabi in the future and when doing so that you will contact me directly to make the arrangement and meet you while staying with us.

Once again thank you for your comments and warm regards

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2011

I stayed here with my wife in March 2011 on the way home from Nepal. We had first stayed here nearly 30 years ago and, whilst most of the city has changed out of all recognition, the Sheraton stays the same - in a good way. The food was excellent - the breakfast buffet is amongst the best I've had anywhere. The service was excellent, as you'd expect from a Sheraton. The ever grander hotels open every few months in Abu Dhabi but I'm not tempted to stay anywhere else. The Intercontinental, by comparison, which I used extensively in the 80's was beginning to show its age - still a nice hotel but with a few 'wrinkes' starting to show.

Room Tip: Get one overlooking the sea and / or the pool.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Yves446, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 7 January 2012
Dear Brian C.,

thank you very much for posting a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. I was delighted to learn that you returned to our hotel after a 30 year absence and that you were again satisfied with the service and facilities we offer. We realize that with a great number of new hotels our only competitive advantage will be our location and, more importantly, our service to you, our guests, which we believe is still among the best in Abu Dhabi. Thank you for staying with us and I do hope that we can welcome you back soon again. Until then, I remain with kind regards,

Yours sincerely,

J Thomas C. van Opstal

thomasvan.opstal@sheraton.com
Rapallo, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2011

We spent a two-day stopover at the Abu Dhabi Sheraton Resort on our way to Melbourne, Australia. A wonderful place to rest, relax and enjoy the comfortable surroundings as well as the excellent food and superb service! Don;t miss a visit to the remarkable white marble mosque...

Room Tip: Select room with a sea view.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Franc-Rapallo,

Thank you for posting a message on your recent experience in our hotel on tripadvisor.

I was very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you managed to both relax and enjoy some of the Cultural sites Abu Dhabi has to offer.

Your kind comments about our associates and the quality of our restaurants will be shared with our team who take great pride in their achievements.

I hope that you travels will bring you back to Abu Dhabi one day and that I will have the opportunity to meet you personally when doing so.

Once again thank you for taking the time to post a review on our hotel and warm regards

holidayholicm
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2011

Comfortable, good swimming pool.
Bit of roadworks all around the corniche but hotel is comfortable. Beautiful Christmas decorations.

• Stayed December 2011
sheraton_abudhabi1, Deputy General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 14 December 2011
Dear Customer,

Thank you for your kind post on tripadvisor.

I was happy to see that you enjoyed our overall leisure facilities and our Christmas decorations which really create an enjoyable atmosphere in the hotel this time of the year.

The road constructions will finally be completed within the next few weeks offering us prime access to all areas within the city center.

Warm regards

United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2011

I had a week at the Sheraton and overall was disppointed. The best thing was the sun which is why I went but this hotel I feel sorry for. It has just beed built around, it is noisy 24 hours, the staff in the hotel were informal and off hand almost heighty. I stayed half board and was treated like i was second class citizen, the club room was not worth the upgrade, the pool was great, the beach not a beach. I was presented with a bill for 900 pounds for snacks and drinks at the end proving how overpriced everything was this even with free happy hour, the club room. My card would not registar on arrival, possibly my fault, but the receptionist said thay would have to empty the mini bar, it so made me feel unworthy and untrusted I almost felt sick. Having just paid out nearly 3500 pounds for this over rated , 3 star at best hotel on a building site with smokey halls and surly staff I just wanted to walk out and go home.
In the end with the sun and a few nice staff, particularily the manager in the bravo restaurant we settled in and a reasonable stay, all the time though you had this feeling that you were being watched to see if you might nick something. And the room was small and the balcony no bigger than a wheely bin.
We wont be returning

1 Thank Glenn T
sheraton_abudhabi1, Deputy General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 19 December 2011
Dear Glenn T,

Thank you for posting a review of our hotel on Tripadvisor.

I was of course disappointed of your experience with us and wish you would have contacted me directly during your visit in order to work on the issues you had and ensure of your comfort.

I was surprised in regards to your comments about our associates as they are normally very much praised by our customers and take pride in delivering warm and caring service. We obviously did not meet your expectations in that respect and I am sorry about that. Should you find the time to write me directly and give me more details of your experience I will make sure to discuss it with the concerned departments directly.

In regards to the credit card situation there are certain policies in place that we need to follow but we should not have given you a feeling of discomfort and make sure to find the best possible ways to work around the situation.

The road construction in front of the hotel are almost over and the noise level kept to a minimum at the moment.

The prices displayed in our hotel are those of similar hotels in the city and I would even say that we are lower than most when it comes to our F&B offering. Most of the food and beverages items are imported to the UAE and may represent a premium compared to other destinations which have their own produces.

I am happy that Shaun our Bravo manager made you feel welcomed and comfortable and your comments will be shared with him.

Should you decide to travel back to Abu Dhabi in the future I would be pleased to take care of the arrangements personally and prove you that the experience you have described does not represents our standards and as you may see from other reviewers we are normally very customer oriented and focused on ensuring our guests with a comfortable and enjoyable stay.

Once again, thank you for your time in writing about your experience in the hotel.

Warm regards,

Deputy general Manager
antwerp
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2011

We stayed a week at the sheraton abu dhabi hotel and resort. Our conclusions are:

positive points:

-very nice and comfortable rooms and excellent housekeeping
-excellent cuisine in the different restaurants. The indian buffet on tuesday and the seafood buffet later in the week were among the finest dinners we had in years.
-extremely friendly and helpful staff
-very good location to explore the city while at the same time be able to enjoy a bit of sun, sand and sea.

negative points:
since the whole city of Abu Dhabi is a continuous construction site, the hotel doesn't escape the fall-out of these works. There is a lot of noise from the 24/7 roadworks in front and at the back of the hotel where a new building is under construction. Many hotels in the city "suffer" from the same problem because they are surrounded by works in progress. So if one seeks a totally peaceful escape from the buzz of eg a busy working life in Europe, ...there is an amount of auditive pollution around the hotel that might interfere with a tranquil vacation.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
sheraton_abudhabi1, Deputy General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 8 December 2011
Dear Vpu,

Thank you for sharing your comments on your recent visit to our hotel on tripadvisor.

I was very pleased to hear that you had thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and that our associates managed to make you feel comfortable and welcomed. You may rest assured that your comments will be shared with them during our next communication forum.

I was also happy that you enjoyed our food and beverage offering and what has become institutional for the hotel “the seafood night” and “Indian Night”. I hope that during a future visit you will also be able to try our “Asian Night” which is a wonderful experience.

Most of the construction surrounding the hotel are coming to an end and while we are still facing visual disturbances, the noise level has not been an issue lately.

I would be pleased to personally meet you should you decide to come and visit us again the future.