“A fantastic experience”

Ranked #48 of 129 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Amsterdam, Netherlands
“A fantastic experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

From check in right through to check out, we could not fault the Sheraton. The staff were incredibly professional, the hotel was clean, quiet and absolutely without fault.
Sure, there is construction work going on all around but it really doesn't affect your holiday at all.. promise! The pools are clean, the choice of restaurants is good, it is very child friendly and the staff went our of their way to make sure we were happy and looked after... at check in, when our booking was not to be found on their computer system we were upgraded from a Diplomatic Suite to the Royal Suite which was stunning.
The only issue that we had was that the childrens menus are exactly the same whichever restaurant you eat in; a little more variation would be nice please!
If we ever go back to Abu Dhabi, the Sheraton will be the first point of call for us and I would like to thank everyone at the Sheraton for making our trip the relaxing holiday we were looking for.

Room Tip: Pool side rooms also overlook a big construction site. Yas Island Suite is gorgeous!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Mrs_S_in_Holland
Yves446, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 26 January 2012
Dear Mrs. S. in Holland,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of our hotel on Trip Advisor. I was very happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the service of my colleagues met your expectations. I will discuss your comment with regard to the Children’s Menus with our Food & Beverage team and thank you for sharing this point of concern with us. I look forward to meeting you personally on your next visit to Abu Dhabi and in the meantime, I remain with kind regards,

thomasvan.opstal@sheraton.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

From December 23, 2011 to January 2, 2012 we stayed at the Sheraton. This was our first holiday to the Emirates. The hotel had a very neat appearance even very large Christmas weer available. The room had sea-view and the beds slept great, the bathroom had both a large shower and bath. We did not use the mini bar, the hotel-bar was open untill late. in the private backyard of the hotel you will find both the pool and private beach with plenty of beds and towelservice. There is also à poolbar where you van order reasonably priced cocktails and lunches. The service is completely right and after two days they even remember your name and room number! In the bar on the beach you can drink a apperitive and if you like smoke shisha. We have in all the restaurants of the hotel and everywhere the service and food was great. Especially in the buffet restaurant you eat more than you want. We have had our breakfast in the lobby with fresh croissants and capucino and have no idea about the breakfastbuffet. Especially the banana cake is a must. For public transport in Abu Dhabi you use the taxi. they have clear and meters and for 60-70 dirhams (12-14 €) you travel to and from the airport. within the city you pay as far as 10 to 20 dirhams (€ 02.04!) so you do not have to walk. The hotel is close to the souks and shopping malls. Even a visit to Dubai is very doable by taxi or rental car. We have had a wonderful and sunny week (20-25 degrees) and will come back for sure.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Boonstrawieger
Yves446, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 28 January 2012
Dear Wieger Boonstra,

thank you very much for posting a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. I do appreciate you taking the time out of your busy schedule to write such an in-depth review and of course we are were pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and that the facilities and the service of my colleagues met your expectations. Please do let us know when you intend to return to Abu Dhabi again in the future – it would be a pleasure to welcome you back and to meet you personally. Until then, I remain,

Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

We had a great 2-night stay at the Sheraton in December. We chose to upgrade to a club room which was really worth it since this included the excellent breakfast buffet at the Flavours Restaurant, complimentary drinks at the Cloud Nine Bar, free wireless in the room, etc. The rooms were luxurious, especially the bathrooms which had a bathtub and a shower with a "rain shower head." View from our small balcony was of course, as mentioned in other reviews, construction but that is of course only temporary.

The pools and garden are very relaxing and enjoyable - we didn't hear any noise from the construction while there. The beach area is small and construction is visible but we still had fun renting kayaks and paddling around in the lagoon. The excellent Christmas decoration created a very festive atmosphere in the hotel. We also enjoyed our meals at the Mexican restaurant and especially at the Italian restaurant La Mamma! The gym looked great - unfortunately, we didn't have time to take advantage of these facilities. The staff was throughout our whole stay consistently helpful and courteous.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank SPM70_1
Yves446, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 6 January 2012
Dear SPM70,

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor. I was very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your short stay with us and that you thought that the facilities and services met your expectations. We do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to our hotel soon and I look forward to meeting you personally on your next visit to our hotel. For now, I wish you a very happy and prosperous New Year 2012 and remain with kind regards,

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2011

We arrived around 10 PM from an exhausting and long flight. Our room was ready, with a small balcony as requested. Check in was swift and cordial. But when we got to our room we were disappointed that although it faced the sea, it also faced a vast construction project which no one mentioned when we booked the room.
We asked for a room on the other side, even though it faced the traffic. But on the other side the road was being repaired and the buildings across the way were being demolished! So, back to the first room. Actually it was small, cozy, well decorated and had very nice bath amenities. From our little balcony we could see the pool, lagoon, the corniche and the sea...and of course, the cranes.

The hotel is very well located for walking around the city (once you learn to weave in and out of construction sites). And the hotel is just a short taxi to the fish souk which is incredible. If you buy a fresh fish they will have it cleaned for you and then take it over to a cooking area where dozens of small vendors will grill your fish, add salad and rice and you can eat it right there or take it on a picnic or back to your hotel room!
We also enjoyed the Hanoi Restaurant near the hotel, on Hamden bin Mohammed Street just west of East Road, which serves wonderful Vietnam specialities.
The hotel itself has 5 restaurants but they are not open 24 hours so travelers arriving with jet lag must adjust to their rigid restaurant hours, although room service is always available.
The Italian restaurant, La Mama, is very good and Jenny, who waited on us, was a total delight.
The concierge, however, didn't seem familiar with Abu Dhabi, and that was frustrating.

The rest of the staff were alert, caring, personable and really offered warm attention. An example is Ms. Bini, who managed to reserve the same room for us on each of our three returns, and added many small courtesies during our stay.
We would definitely stay here again and hope, in the meantime, the destruction and construction in the UAE declines.

Room Tip: until construction stops can there be any "good' rooms. Still facing the sea is so beautifu...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Yves446, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 29 December 2011
Dear Akachan 21,

I firstly would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel on tripadvisor as we take such firsthand customer comments very seriously and use them to improve on our service offering.

I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and are likely to return in the future. I was especially pleased that our associates managed to make you feel very welcomed and took good care of you and you may rest assured that your comments will be shared with them. I was also happy that you enjoyed the different restaurant options we offer and found the food quality to your liking.

The hotel is indeed well located and allows easy access to most of what the city has to offer. In regards to the constructions taking place in town, while sometimes frustrating, they are done with a goal to beautify the city and offer upgraded facilities to travellers in the future.

I certainly hope that you will be contacting me directly should you decide to come back for a future visit in order to make the arrangement personally and in order to meet you during your stay.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel.

Warm regards

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2011

My wife and I stayed recently in the Sheraton Abu Dhabi Resort. It was during the Eid holidays so the hotel was full. The first impression was awful. No car park space. The woman at the front desk wanted to give us the normal classic room. My wife is gold member and so you get usual an upgrade. I asked her and she insisted that there are no upgrades on that member ship level. After a long discussion and showing her the gold member benefits in the spg website she then gave us an upgrade to a club room - which was very nice but the first impression was gone.
The rooms are very small but the bath room is huge compare to the rest. They are equipped with everything you need (DVD player, walk in shower, comfortable bed). The club lounge is one the smallest I have ever seen. It is in a suite room and has about 6 tables and small buffet line. The snacks were fine and the service good but slow.
The building looks like it is 30 years already but I heard it is only 10 years old anyway not that nice.
The nice thign is the little "resort" area they have. The "beach" access below the street level. Not bad and very relaxing.
The location is not bad direct at the Corniche and not far from the older part of the city.
We had dinner at the Spanish restaurant and the food there was great.
Be careful there is a huge construction site in front of the hotel and it can be very noisy. We were lucky only the last day of our stay they actually workd but then it was very noisy.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SAT33
Yves446, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 27 December 2011
Dear customer,

Thank you for posting a review about your recent stay with us on Tripadvisor and about your loyalty to Starwood hotel in general as one of our SPG Gold Members.

I reviewed your comments carefully and was left with mixed feeling myself.

In regards to the construction site directly in front of the hotel, I am happy to inform you that the construction work is over and we are now only left with few workers further down on the opposite side of the hotel which does not represent a disturbance anymore and allows an easy and improved access to the hotel.

I was happy to hear that you enjoy the food and beverage offering of the hotel as well as our resort area and your comments will be shared with our associates who always take pride in our customer’s satisfaction.

I am sorry for your arrival experience, we do try and offer upgrades as much as we can but we have limited number of suites and when the hotel is on such high occupancy we sometimes have to decline. On this occasion it was obvious that a club room was available and should have been offered to you earlier on to avoid any frustration.

Considering our Club Lounge facilities, which are sufficient most of the time, we have opened access to our main breakfast buffet to all Club members and offer the evening happy hour and warm snacks in our Cigar Lounge the Cloud Nine. This was, we easily manage the flow of customers staying on our Club floor.

The Sheraton Abu Dhabi is one of the first hotels that opened in town over 30 years ago and we have kept the outside structure of the hotel as it represents the shape of a Castle in sand colors and fits with the overall Arabian experience perfectly. The rest of the hotel on the other hand has been entirely renovated a few years ago and offers all modern comfort.

I hope that you will come again to Abu Dhabi in the future and when doing so that you will contact me directly to make the arrangement and meet you while staying with us.

Once again thank you for your comments and warm regards

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2011

I stayed here with my wife in March 2011 on the way home from Nepal. We had first stayed here nearly 30 years ago and, whilst most of the city has changed out of all recognition, the Sheraton stays the same - in a good way. The food was excellent - the breakfast buffet is amongst the best I've had anywhere. The service was excellent, as you'd expect from a Sheraton. The ever grander hotels open every few months in Abu Dhabi but I'm not tempted to stay anywhere else. The Intercontinental, by comparison, which I used extensively in the 80's was beginning to show its age - still a nice hotel but with a few 'wrinkes' starting to show.

Room Tip: Get one overlooking the sea and / or the pool.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Yves446, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 7 January 2012
Dear Brian C.,

thank you very much for posting a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. I was delighted to learn that you returned to our hotel after a 30 year absence and that you were again satisfied with the service and facilities we offer. We realize that with a great number of new hotels our only competitive advantage will be our location and, more importantly, our service to you, our guests, which we believe is still among the best in Abu Dhabi. Thank you for staying with us and I do hope that we can welcome you back soon again. Until then, I remain with kind regards,

J Thomas C. van Opstal

Rapallo, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2011

We spent a two-day stopover at the Abu Dhabi Sheraton Resort on our way to Melbourne, Australia. A wonderful place to rest, relax and enjoy the comfortable surroundings as well as the excellent food and superb service! Don;t miss a visit to the remarkable white marble mosque...

Room Tip: Select room with a sea view.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Franc-Rapallo,

Thank you for posting a message on your recent experience in our hotel on tripadvisor.

I was very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you managed to both relax and enjoy some of the Cultural sites Abu Dhabi has to offer.

Your kind comments about our associates and the quality of our restaurants will be shared with our team who take great pride in their achievements.

I hope that you travels will bring you back to Abu Dhabi one day and that I will have the opportunity to meet you personally when doing so.

Once again thank you for taking the time to post a review on our hotel and warm regards