“Very good older property with excellent service”

Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort
Ranked #50 of 127 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Los Angeles, California
“Very good older property with excellent service”
Reviewed 11 February 2012

The Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort is conveniently located in the front of the Abu Dhabi corniche relatively close to the tourist club area and to the old downtown. I stayed there three of or four times between October and December last year.

They had a road construction going in front of the hotel during my stays, but I think that it must have been completed by now. It was bit difficult to get in a taxi because they had to make quite a few turns before finding the right driveway to the hotel’s entrance.

There is a club lounge, but you need to check in at the front desk even if you are a club level or SPG Platinum member. In all occasions, I hadn’t been upgraded to a suite in advance. Few words with the front desk, and at least once a phone call or two, made the suite happen in all of my stays.

The suite that I had was different every time but the basic layout was about the same. All of the suites had a spacious living room, kitchenette with a full refrigerator, and a bedroom with a bathroom/shower. I did appreciate the fact that the furniture was in the Middle Eastern style.

Club lounge is not open for breakfast as the breakfast is offered for Club members at the main restaurant. There are sandwiches, fruits, breads, cheeses etc. available all day long with coffee/tea and soft drinks. They have complimentary alcoholic beverages at the lounge from 6PM to 7PM. You can also have the club drinks benefits at the bar from 6PM to 8PM.

Fitness center was definitely one of the better hotel ones. Apparently they are selling memberships there as well. Remember to bring your own headphones if you prefer watching TV while doing cardio. They don’t have complimentary ones available.

This is one of the few hotels in Abu Dhabi that has their own private beach. There is quite a bit of construction going on the other side that bothers a bit. You have plenty of sun chairs available They have one bigger pool that has a pool bar and smaller one for kids.

As a Platinum member with a club access, I could have the breakfast at the main restaurant. The breakfast options are extensive. You need to sign the bill but it will be taken care off before your departure. At least I never saw my breakfast charges on the final bills.

Overall, I have been very satisfied with my stays there as a Platinum member. Unlike quite a few hotels in the Middle East, where employees just come and go, the people here seemed to care. There are quite a few Germans working at the management positions that probably partly explain why the hotel seems to be well run.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Yves446, Director of Sales at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
Dear LoyaltyLobby,

thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the services and amenities at our hotel met your expectations. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel soon and I look very much forward to the opportunity to meeting you personally then. In the meantime, I remain with kind regards,

thomasvan.opstal@sheraton.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 10 February 2012

We came on a weekend vacation with the family, the price and the published photos were tempting. On arrival staff was extremely friendly and was proffecioanl and well prepared to receive families with children which created a positive first impression. On the room things were not as expected. Both of my two rooms were small and not really clean. The round coffee table had stains of cups from an earlier guest all over it, which surprised me. When my bags came up I did not find a place to put them on, the rooms don't have a luggage bench like all other hotels have. We had to keep them on the floor, that was not very convenient.
Later that evenenig we received some friends in the lobby, we were not able to order coffee after 12, so we had to order it through the room service. After some 30 minutes our coffee came, but it was more an ice coffee, the waiter was friendly and apologized and went and brought us new, hotter coffee. Though if it wasn't for the friendliness of the staff it would have left a real bad impression. The beach is small but nice apart from the fact that the sea view is blocked by a huge construction site. All in all it fine for therice we paid, could see my self visiting it again. It's a Hotel, which definitely had its golden times some years ago....

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Gass1
Yves446, Director of Sales at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 12 February 2012
Dear Gass1,

thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. I was sorry to learn that you did not fully enjoy your stay at our hotel and that you found the room size insufficient for your needs. As you can see from the various posts on TripAdvisor, the size of a hotel guestroom is obviously a personal opinion and while some of our guests like the room size, others like yourself find the room size too small. I would be pleased to offer you options for a variety of rooms we have at our hotel when you visit Abu Dhabi next and would appreciate it if you were to contact me directly in order for me to assist you in setting up your room reservations. I also noted your comment with regard to the coffee table in your room. The hotel Engineering team is presently re-polishing all the coffee tables in the hotel and we are looking at the possibility of covering the tables with a glass top in order to prevent the tables to get stained whenever hot beverages are placed on top of them. I am sorry that your rooms were still not fitted with the re-polished coffee tables but we foresee that this process will be finished in the coming months. I am also sorry that you were not satisfied with the opening hours of the Lobby Cafe and that the service of the coffee was not up to our usual high standard. We will review this internally to ensure that this type of service deficiencies do not recur again in the future. Also for your information, our Cloud 9 venue on the first floor remains open until the early hours of the morning and we serve coffee and other hot beverages at this venue.

I noticed that you intend to return to our hotel again in the future and as mentioned earlier, I would appreciate it if you were you contact me directly when your travel plans are finalized in order for me to ensure that your next stay with us will be a completely satisfactory one. I look forward to hearing from you and also hope to have an opportunity to meet your personally then.

Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed 8 February 2012

I stayed at the Sheraton Corniche for a few days a number of weeks ago. I had stayed at this hotel a couple of years back and thought I would try it again as the business I deal with in the UAE are familiar with the location. As I travel globally and stay at hundreds of Hotels, I am still amazed at the lack of a reasonable smoking policy at this hotel. When I arrived I was lucky to make out the front desk due to the high level of smoke in the foyer.(seems like a common problem based on the reviews) Not a particularly nice introduction. As I had booked a club room and non smoking floor I thought that this would be the end of the smokers but to my amazement, people were smoking on the non smoking club floor, in their rooms, at the elevators and in the club lounge that was the size of half a bedroom. As I paid for the additional club advantages such as the evening coctails, I was constantly disapointed over several days that it was standing room only. The one staff member in the club lounge just looked at me and shrugged his shoulders, two days in a row...I will propably try another hotel in the future that can guarantee a non smoking floor and more realistic club advantages that are obtainable...

Room Tip: Be mindful of the smoking that is everywhere in the hotel. Also get a room that overlooks teh pool a...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Dear Crakyl,

thank you very much for posting a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. I was sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us and that the smokers in our hotel were a particular cause of irritation for you. We have clearly defined smoking- and non-smoking areas in the hotel and we are strictly enforcing these. I of course understand your objections to smokers and being a non-smoker myself, I share some of your sentiments even so they seem a little exaggerated in your post. Obviously, we are unable to control guests and if guests smoke in elevators or in other areas which are clearly defined as non-smoking areas, we are unfortunately helpless. I also noticed your comment about the Club Room and I am sorry that you did not enjoy the Club Lounge, which is actually quite a bit larger than what you claim in your post. We also offer cocktails for our Club guests at our Cloud 9 bar and this information is stated in the welcome letter for Club guests as well as in the Club Lounge and I am sorry that you missed the opportunity to enjoy your cocktail at Cloud 9, where we have ample space for guests to sit and relax or use the Link@Sheraton, which is adjacent to the venue. I noticed that you would perhaps try another hotel on your next visit to Abu Dhabi but I would still hope that you will give our hotel a second (or in your case, a third) chance in order for us to make amends for your disappointing stay this time. Please feel free to contact me directly when your next visit to Abu Dhabi is confirmed in order for me to set up reservations for you. I look very much forward to welcome you back and in the meantime, remain with kind regards,

Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 3 February 2012

We have made reservations for 2 rooms from the 30th till 31st january. The guests would took their flight from Istanbul to Abu Dhabi, but due to heavy snow in Istanbul their flight was cancelled after a delay of 7 hours. When the flight was cancelled it was already 11pm (turkish time. 03am UAE time) and they couldn't call the hotel. Next day, on the 31st we have contacted hotel via our travel agency to cancel the booking and any payment concerning. The hotel didn't accept. From then they are not even responding my e-mails.
I was expecting a much more decent behaviour from this well-known hotel chain.
and just wandering if this is not a "force majeure", what is ???

Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Yves446, Director of Sales at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 5 February 2012
Dear Whatasmallworld,

thank you very much for your post on TripAdvisor. While I can understand your disappointment related to the cancellation of your booking with our hotel, please be informed that we received your reservation through your Travel Agent for the 30th January for a one night stay. When you did not arrive on the day of your reservation, you were listed as a “no-show” and as per our agreement with your travel agent, we charged the no-show. Your first correspondence with our hotel was on the 2. February and my colleagues from our reservation department replied to you. I would suggest you review this matter with your travel agent as we have followed the normal procedure for no-shows which is acknowledged and agreed to by your travel agent. I am sorry that you feel that this was a fault of ours but unfortunately, we simply followed the procedures laid out by your travel agent. Please feel free to contact me directly should you need any further clarification or assistance.

thomasvanopstal@heraton.com
Far North Coast, NSW
Reviewed 29 January 2012

This is a beautiful hotel in a nice location, but for non-smokers it's a shock to the system! The foyer area, which includes a coffee shop, was full of smokers for most of the time. The smoke wafts up to the open mezzanine level on the first floor - (which is supposed to be a non-smoking floor). However, the first floor also includes a "Cigar Bar" - bit of an oxymoron really. There are Internet facilities on the first floor. The reception check-in was slow and I have to say not very welcoming. Felt Like a hospital reception - (except for the smoke).
Now the upside is that our room was beautiful and included all you need for a comfortable stay. The bathroom was a nice size. The hotel has various eating venues (not cheap - but no hotel restaurants are...) and a lovely pool area. Still construction works all around the hotel, but no noise after dark from the works. Very nice hotel - but the smokers ruin the atmosphere.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Yves446, Director of Sales at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 30 January 2012
Dear 4evaLuv-Holidays,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. I was pleased to note that you enjoyed the restaurants and pool area at our hotel but was of course disappointed that your check-in experience was not up to your expectations – we will review your comments internally and I would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. I have also noticed your comment with regard to the smoking areas in the hotel and again, we will review whether it will be necessary to enlarge the hotel’s non-smoking areas in order to ascertain that non-smokers are not disturbed.

I do hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel again in the future and I would appreciate it if you could channel your next reservation directly through my office. I look forward to meeting you personally on your next visit to Abu Dhabi and until then, I remain with kind regards,

Stuttgart
Reviewed 28 January 2012

I have stayed here 3 times over the past ten years and i must say i like the hotel, but there has always been building sites closeby. The reception area is well organized with friendly helpful staff. The rooms are on the smaller side, but have everything you need, beds are comfortable and bathrooms good, with a separate shower and bath. The Balconies are not really worth talking about, you can not sit out on it. The Hotel has some excellent food outlets, there is an Italian, Spanish, Fish & Buffet restaurant, and Pub which shows sport events, also a Coffee shop in reception.
There is a fitness area which very big, many locals use the fitness club also. There is also a beach and pool area, these days the beach area overlooks a building site i am afraid. It is still ok if you want to spend an hour or two in the sun after a day in the city. There is a children's pool also. If i was on business i would definitely stay here, but not sure if i would holiday here because of all the building sites.

Room Tip: Try to get a sea view, not city view.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Dear Manufannr1d,

thank you very much for posting a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. I was very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and were overall satisfied with the service standards and the food and beverage options we offer at our hotel. I realize that the road construction around the hotel was a disturbance in the past weeks and months, but the good news here is that aside from some landscaping and minor pavement work, the construction around the hotel entrance is now almost finished. Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back to our hotel soon so that you can see the progress yourself! I look forward to meeting you personally on your next visit and until then, I remain with kind regards,

beds
Reviewed 24 January 2012

We were worried about the Sheraton due to the photographs left on trip advisor by other visitors which showed a lot of construction in the local area. We called the hotel and moved to a sea view club room.
We should not have been concerned, the hotel is surrounded by roadworks and building sites however we found it to be an oasis of calm and enjoyment in a city that is growing rapidly.
Hotel location is excellent being positioned on the Corniche which is great for walking, running and seeing the sea.
The staff were all friendly and helpful and the room to a high standard. As a regular traveler my only compliant is the club room which falls way behind most others being open from 10am to 7 pm and only serving free alcohol from 6pm to 7pm. Net result is too late for breakfast, too early for pre dinner drinks and who wants to have lunch in a small hotel club room when there are so many other options in the hotel and out. Not good.
I would however return to the Sheraton next time as overall a great hotel with charm, character and quality

Room Tip: Worth booking sea view
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jonsBeds
Yves446, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 26 January 2012
Dear JonsBeds,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. I was very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and that you would like to return to hotel if your travel plans bring you back to Abu Dhabi. I was particularly happy that you chose our hotel despite some older posts on TripAdvisor which indicate that our hotel is in the middle of a construction site, which is, as you have rightfully stated in your post, untrue. I have also taken note of your comments with regard to the opening hours of the Club Lounge and we will review this matter internally in order to explore possibilities to match the expectations of our guests in this area as well. Thank you again for taking the time to post a review which is much appreciated. I look forward to meeting you personally on your next visit to Abu Dhabi and remain with kind regards