“Perfect Service, Perfect Location, Strongly Recommended”

Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort
Ranked #50 of 127 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Berlin, Germany
“Perfect Service, Perfect Location, Strongly Recommended”
Reviewed 3 January 2013

I had the pleasure to be guest in the Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort nearly ten times in 2011 and 2012. It is one of my two favourite hotels in Abu Dhabi.
The location on the northeastern corner of Corniche Road puts you in the middle of everything: Abu Dhabi Mall, Marina Mall, some nice bars and clubs, Saadiyat Island and common business places can be reached within a few minutes by taxi. Since the Sheikh Zayed tunnel opened in December 2012 you safe the traffic jam if you approach the Sheraton from southerly direction.
The staff is always attentive and delivers service in a warm and friendly attitude. I found always a handwritten welcome message in my room as well as a fresh fruit platter and some chocolate - maybe in recognition of my SPG status. The rooms are of average size with a spacy working desk. All bathrooms are equipped with both shower and bath tub. Club rooms even have a iPod/iPhone loudspeaker.
Cleanliness in the rooms and in all public areas was always perfect. The breakfast in the flavours restaurant on 1st floor is just fantastic. Also other restaurants like the italian and the mexican restaurant (with live music) on ground floor and the tapas bar in the garden keep up with the high standards.
The gym is the best in Abu Dhabi and also visited by many locals.
Adjacent to the small beach is still a construction site that is huge and everything but nice. However, there are no limitations regarding the use of pool, beach and the open air restaurants.
For both business and leisure I would recommend this Sheraton to my best friend and I am looking forward to my next stay there.

Room Tip: A room on a club floor towards the pool side would be the perfect choice.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank zf34bu8q
ThomasVanOpstal, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 10 January 2013
Dear Karlsruhe,

Thank you for your loyalty to the Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel and to Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

We certainly appreciate you taking the time to post a review of your numerous visits of our hotel on Tripadvisor.

I was very pleased to see that as a repeat customer we have always managed to make you feel welcomed and that our associates take good care of you while staying with us.

Your kind comments about the hotel facilities, its location, restaurant and bar offering and service levels have been well noted and will be shared with our team who take great pride in delivering a flawless experience to our customers.

I will be looking forward to meeting you personally during a future visit and remain at your disposal for any assistance you may need from the hotel.

Once again, thank you for your time and warm regards

Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 3 January 2013

Dealing with Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort was the worst experience ever.
Where i was the organizer of the New year event as the hotel replaces my menu with other terrible menu where me and all people who where attending the event disappointed for the bad choose of food
in addition of that, the waiters wasn't educated what was included in the event
where the event was open Alcohol bottles.
when the event started the waiters was shocked about the open bottles as there wasn't any communication from the management and the waiters

where that was the most terrible new year;s event i have ever organized in sheraton abudhabi

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank wessam_shomali
ThomasVanOpstal, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 23 January 2013
Dear Mr. Shomali,

Thank you for posting a review on tripadvisor.

Following on our meetings, discussions and agreement I still would like to apologies for the trouble with the mix up between the menu which you had initially chosen and the one you had confirmed at the end.

The selection of food while not the one that should have been served, was of very good quality and well representative of the five stars standards we are renown for.

I believe that we had some miscommunication with you while arranging for the details of the function and considering that we have already discussed it on several occasions, I will not go into further details on the subject.

I wish you and your organization all the success you deserve for future events in Abu Dhabi

UK
Reviewed 3 January 2013

This is the sixth time I have stayed at this Sheraton, four of those stops being in the last year. However, this is more indicative of the competition rather than excellence on the part of the Sheraton.

The hotel is in a good location, close to the corniche, shops and the busy Tourist Club area which is the heart of Abu Dhabi. The rooms are small but well designed and comfortable. Bed was fantastic, bathroom is lovely. Staff are great, very friendly and attentive. Club upgrade seems a good deal and the food and drink were of a excellent quality, as was the breakfast. Did not try any of the restaurants but had room service one night which was very nice and reasonably priced. Beach as and pool area is nice, always lots of loungers even when the hotel was very busy.

That is all the good points which is why I keep returning.

However, there are several bad points which cause me to look around at other hotels prior to booking my next visit to the Sheraton:

Smoking. I understand smoking is popular in Abu Dhabi. However allowing smoking in areas where nonsmoking guests have no choice but to frequent is very unpleasant. For instance, smoking in the Tavern pub is fine as I can choose to visit there or not. Smoking in the lobby cafe of the hotel or the breakfast restaurant is not fine as these are places that you have no choice but to visit. What struck me as odd was that two mornings I had to queue for breakfast as the room was full only to discover the smoking section was sparsely populated with plenty of empty tables whilst the no smokers were crammed in like sardines. Also, the difference between the smoking and nonsmoking section is as little as a couple of feet insome cases. Hardly nonsmoking!

Smoking rooms. I asked for a smoking room and was given. A room on a smoking floor. I guess the room I was give was a smoking rooms there was no signs up asking guests not to smoke. The room had the musty smell of having been smoked in. There are nonsmoking floors so I guess I was fobbed off with a smoking room. In addition there were lots of cigarette butts littering the area beside the balcony

Return visits. As mentioned I have stayed here 6 times, 4 times within the last year. As I booked these visits through an agent I seem to fall off the radar. Whilst not expecting banners and a marching band some loyalty reward would be nice but agent bookings are not registered with the star woods loyalty programme. Having been a platinum SPG guest in the past I know loyalty points can reap rewards and perhaps this is something the SPG group should address. Just because I choose to book through an agent should not negate any loyalty rewards.

Construction. Whilst a lot of Abu Dhabi is being built on I do feel that the three new towers opposite the sheraton are very distracting from having a quiet time on the beach. Work was in progress every day including Fridays, it was very noisy on the each and despite the best efforts of the staff lots of detritus from the building works made its way into the lagoon and beach area. Not a five star experience when swimming to see bits of rope and plastic bobbing past.

So bit of a mixed bag. I will no doubt look around to see what is available prior to my next inevitable booking.

Room Tip: Not sure if the sea view rooms are now worth the extra considering the construction notice and the n...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fossildog
ThomasVanOpstal, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 8 January 2013
Dear Fossildog,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent experience with us on tripadvisor.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your overall experience and your positive comments about the hotel facilities, the quality of food and service have been well noted.

I was especially happy that you found out associates friendly and attentive as this is what it all comes to at the end and you may rest assured that your comments will be shared with our team who take great pride in delivering a flawless experience to our customers.

I can well understand your comments about the smoking situation in the hotel and in Abu Dhabi in general as until today the laws which are relevant in most other countries do not apply here. We nonetheless do our best to offer a smoke free environment in each one of our restaurants and bars for our non-smoking customers yet are sometimes restraint due to structure or size or the venues. We have increased our non-smoking inventory of rooms and while most rooms which are non-smoking are in fully smoke free floors some are still in floors where half of the rooms are smoking and half not which I believe is what happened in your case.

In regards to the construction taking place in the vicinity of the hotel, it is unfortunately out of our control and very much an Abu Dhabi trend which, while sometimes disrupting, will lead to improved facilities for travelers in the future. The hotel is doing his best to maintain the issues to the minimal disruption to our guests.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure to receive you for a seventh visit and would certainly appreciate if you were to contact me directly to personally handle all arrangements and ensure of your comfort.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and warm regards

Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2013

My wife and I rounded off a terrific stay in two other locations in the Emirates, with two nights at the Sheraton.
The highs were the lounge bar area close to the pool where comfortable seats, nice jazz and blue lights in the trees made it a great place to chill out for a drink before or after dinner.
Sadly the rest of the hotel did not achieve the same standards of comfort or ambience.
Particularly disappointing features included the small rooms, the unusable balconies, and building site views and noise from the small "beach."
While there was a good variety of restaurants in the hotel, the two we sampled ( Lebanese; and Spanish) were distinctly average.
After the luxury of 3 days at Qasr al Sarab, the Sheraton was a bit of a let down !

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
ThomasVanOpstal, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 2 January 2013
Dear Grumpy666,

I firstly would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us on tripadvisor. We take such firsthand customer feedback very seriously and use it to improve on our service offering.

I was happy to see that you enjoyed spending time in our B-lounge which is a very comfortable and popular outdoors venue which was launched this year.

I was on the other hand disappointed that you did not enjoy the comfort of our rooms which are indeed rather on the smaller size but well-appointed and offering all the modern features one could expect from a 5 star business hotel. The constructions in the vicinity of the hotel can be an annoyance and unfortunately are out of our control. This is unfortunately a feature that can be found around most Abu Dhabi hotels and I am sorry of the inconvenience this may have caused. It is very difficult to predict when it will be slightly noisy or not as it does create noise disturbances most of the time.

We normally receive high praises from our restaurant food quality and I will share your comments with the relevant teams to understand what may have happened and ensure it does not repeat itself.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to receive you again in the future and remain at your disposal to handle all arrangements personally. This would allow us to prove you that your recent experience with us does not represent our standards and that we take pride in delivering quality experiences to our customers.

Once again, thank you for sharing your comments with us.

Warm regards

Jyvaskyla, Finland
Reviewed 29 December 2012

This hotel is a good choise to spend your holiday if you want to have extremely good variety of food at breakfast, very very nice bed and fantastic gym.

As we are a family with 8 and 16 years old children, we chose to have connected rooms. Rooms are big enough and we had a sea view. Bathrooms are well maintained and clean. I suffer from migraine and I am very light sleeper, so I was a bit worried about how would I sleep in the hotel because the is lot of construnctions going on just opposite the hotel. With my earplugs I had no problem, and my family could sleep well also. Keep in mind if you choose this hotel that the consturction goes on and on even up to 2 o´clock at night like it did on Chitstmas Eve... but of course all that will stop one day when they are finished. It is funny, if you decide it does not bother that much - it doesn`t.

The only absoluytely low point is that smoking was allowed in the breakfast room and at the cafeteria. Lot of locals came in to smoke for hours at the cafe. In Dubai there is not such a problem anywhere in the hotels. So I suggest to the hotel management you should stop allowing the smoking inside of your nice hotel.

I had spa maicure and spa pedicure once, and a shoter pedicuce once, and I must say I was very very good choise in both times. Thank you girsl! So nice service and good work. Really.

Also went to Atristic Yoga once. Wow, what an experience. I was kind of a mix of youga and aerobic class. My abs where a bit tense afterwards, but that is what I came for. So thank you teacher!

So all in all we had a very nice holiday with having a good time with my family. No need to cook and bake for the Christmas at home.
My housband and our son went to Ferrari World, and liked it a lot. From what I understood, it is worth of going I you don`t mind for standing in a queue for a long time. We visited two times in Dubai as our friends stayed at Atlantis The Palm hotel ( wow).

Would I come back? Sorry, I`d probably choose Dubai for the next Christmas. But you can always make me a good offer :)

Happy New Year to you all!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
ThomasVanOpstal, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 30 December 2012
Dear Nina_fin,

Thank you very much for posting a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. I enjoyed reading your review and am delighted that we were able to meet your expectations and that your family and you enjoyed your Christmas vacation at our hotel. We look very much forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the coming year and for now, I wish you all the very best for 2013 and remain with kind regards

Yours sincerely,

J. Thomas C. van Opstal

thomasvan.opstal@sheraton.com
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 26 December 2012 via mobile

We are staying in the hotel when I wrote the review. The hotel is okay. Not more than that. The rooms are fine. The pool and fitness are reasonable. And we don't mind the construction next to the hotel. A couple of recommwnsations: make internet freely available for guests, upgrade the restaurants (e.g beach rotana) and increase the general feeling of service. The hotel seems to manage on revenue improvement (paid internet and general price level) and on coat (staffing). But for a 5 star hotel SERVICE is the key. That creates loyalty.

• Stayed December 2012
ThomasVanOpstal, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 27 December 2012
Dear Wgiezenaar,

I hope this message finds you well.

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on your experience with us on tripadvisor.

I have carefully reviewed your feedback both positive and negative and feel mostly concerned about your comments on the service levels you have received as we normally take pride in the way we care for our customers.

Since you do not share much details on your experience we will ensure that we get in touch with you directly to understand where you feel we could make improvements and ensure that you find the rest of your stay more pleasant.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

Warm regards

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 18 December 2012

I have nothing except this hotel is amazing, I did stay there for Club room, Royal Suite and classic rooms, it's just lovely, stuff is amazing, breakfast is totally awesome :)

Also for the dinner, coffee shops, restaurants, were trully lovely, bathroom is just amazing, beach is nice for children, also for value of service as a whole is just pretty amazing

Room Tip: Club Room, high floor
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank omar_elkerdany
ThomasVanOpstal, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 20 December 2012
Dear Omar_elkerdany,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel on TripAdvisor! I am delighted that you are enjoying your stays at our hotel and that you are content with the service and the attention you receive from my colleagues. Thank you very much for being our guest – we look very much forward to welcome you back to our hotel and I remain with kind regards,

Yours sincerely,