“well-designed hotel”

Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort
Ranked #53 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 16 January 2013

On 4th of January 2013 I stayed in this hotel
not stayed for a long time only 4 hrs in total.

reception not very very good but it was better
I received my original passes safely in a letter.

I found this hotel's design little different,
that is why I liked it being a first entrant.

I can't comment on food and its restaurent,
because of no use & my time constraint.

morning 2 am check-in and 6 am check-out dear
what more can I write for you in this review here.

if you felt entertained inspite nothing much in this review
give your honest comment as your review on my review.

thanks

Room Tip: no tip at this time may be next time
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
ThomasVanOpstal, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2013

Dear Ghanshamdas,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel on tripadvisor.

I am happy that you enjoyed your very short stay with us and liked the hotel design. It is indeed somewhat different from the high rises that are commonly found nowadays as the hotel was built in the shape of an Oriental Castle and its original design does make it stand out.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of a future visit and that you will be able to enjoy our extended facilities and several restaurants and bars.

Please do not hesitate to contact me to handle all arrangements personally

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort

Reviewed 12 January 2013

we stayed at the Sheraton over Christmas for a week,its good for people like me who only likes English food as they have many different restaurants, ours was a Tavern,part of the hotel,recommend the shepherds pie and veg,its lovely,the girls were so nice in there aswell.the entrance and stairs everywhere is very beautiful,there is free wifi for 1 hour a day on the 1st floor,the rooms are good,but no dressing table with a mirror for us ladies who use tongs etc had to use bathroom or put a chair near a plug near the wardrobe/mirror,that was a pain.the a/con worked well,the balcony is so small,the sea view is practically non excistent.due to a huge building being biult,the pool is nice with a bar in,the seperate kids pool is nice and their own private beach/lagoon was lovely if you dont want to go the the Cornice Beach a 5 minute taxi ride away,which are cheap by the way,we used taxis several times a day.The Cornice starts just down from the hotel,but no beach there,plenty of water features and walking,but the beach part is a taxi ride away near the Marina Mall and Heritage centre.free admission,camel ride for kids,very interesting in there,sstalls every day but Fridays and the toilet is closed that day but the restaurant is open even for just a cup of te and you can use their toilets.Nice little duck pond in there to sit and watch,or look out to the sea it all there and a small beach.we loved it there and went 3 times.If you want gold,its the Madinat Mall and gold centre,taxi ride away,only about 3 pounds if that.The breakfast is the best,anything you could possibly want,no matter what nationallity and the staff were all lovely,everywhere in the hotel,all very helpful and polite and the young men who cleaned the rooms,always very nice.Music goes on late,we were on the 4th floor and could hear it,but hey they are on holiday and it didnt bother us,we all like different things on holiday.I would recommend this hotel and up and coming Abu Dhabi,been Dubai 18 times,tried here for a change,getting similar,but smaller at the moment,but can just see with all the building its going to look the same,love the modern different shaped buildings though,Yes,l will be going back,probably inDecember on route to Oz and NZ rather than Dubai,the temperature then is about 25 as it was all week.....perfect.

Room Tip: we were on the 4th floor overlooking the pool/sea,well what you could see of it,could hear the singi...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
ThomasVanOpstal, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2013

Dear Jean Dalby,

I was very pleased to see that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and that your entire family found something to do while in the hotel and in the surrounding area. I am sure that your comments about the activities available at a short taxi ride from the hotel will be very useful to the readers.

I was a especially pleased to read that our associates took good care of you and your family as at the end of the day, the human experience is what matters the most.

Since you will be coming back in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly in order to handle all the arrangements on your behalf, meet you while in the hotel and personally ensure of your comfort.

Once again, thank you for your detailed and useful review

Reviewed 10 January 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Yas Viceroy then moved into City. Now, I realise Abu Dhabi isn't awash with ritzy hotels like Dubai but never the less I went for the Sheraton. I booked a club room (and paid for it) yet on arrival I was told I'd been upgraded to a club room but without privileges. When I pointed out I had booked a club room the staff looked puzzled. As manager duly arrived and stated the checking staff couldn't read.
I got to my room which is tiny by today's standards and bust open the fridge for a drink - I was almost sick! The smell was putrid. There was off Milk curdled and rank pooled in the bottom.
I asked for another room and due to the size of my existing one, check in hassle and rotting fridge they said ok if I pay one.
I almost walked out but the duty manager was so helpful (someone else pulling the strings as she would have upgraded me).

I did get a free meal which I appreciated. The club snacks in the evening are sparse and cheap.

Resort itself is fine but just shattered by the two huge buildings being constructed across the lagoon. This can only get worse.

All all this up and consider it wasn't much cheaper than executive at Viceroy and you'll see my point.

I would not recommend this hotel at this price. A sub £100 then perhaps but only if they sharpen up.

• Stayed: January 2013
ThomasVanOpstal, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2013

Dear Bil1965,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us on tripadvisor.

I was of course very disappointed of your feedback and the fact that you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. You may rest assured that your comments have been shared with the relevant personal and the corrective measures taken so that such events do not repeat themselves in the future.

We normally take great pride in our positive customer service and as you may read from other tripadvisor reviews and we have obviously failed to deliver on this occasion for which I would like to apologies.

Such happening does not represent the norm in our hotel and I hope that we will have the opportunity to prove it to you by welcoming you again in the future. Should you decide to do so, I would like to make myself available to handle all arrangements personally and ensure of your comfort.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

Reviewed 6 January 2013

We stayed at the Sheraton Abu Dhabi for 5 days over New Year. Over the first couple of days I didn't think it was great, but I mentioned my misgivings to the person in charge of guest relations and it was all dealt with politely, sensibly, and efficiently and, for me, this is a sign of a good place to stay, particularly if the concerns are noted and dealt with so that they don't need to be mentioned in the future ....
The rooms, by Gulf standards, are quite small (by London or Paris standards they are fine). We had adjoining rooms for 2 adults and 3 children and it felt pretty cosy. The balconies, which I hoped might enable us to sit down outside and have a drink in the cooler weather, aren't big enough for that. These were club rooms. We did, however, have access to the Club Lounge, which, while again not massive, was really nicely run, particularly by the gentleman who runs the evening shift, who is very professional and has great patience, particularly when there are small children around in a confined area.
The breakfast is great.
The beds are fantastic.
The pool would be nice and will be nice again once the heavy lifting on the construction works opposite is finished, which is looks like it will be soon. Obviously there is nothing the hotel can do about this, but it can't help but hinder the atmosphere round the pool and the outside bars and restaurants.
Room service food was nice, and sensibly priced, especially for the children.
If there was a "good" rating on this I would have used that, because the hotel is certainly better than average, but I am not sure that, until, the construction is finished, which looks likely to be sooner rather than later, you can say it is very good, as one of the charms of the place is the large and pleasant outside area, the pleasantness of which is impacted upon by the building on the other side of the lagoon.
Also, it has been said before, but hotels (and its not just the Sheraton) need to stop charging for internet access.
Check out was particularly slick and bill was transparent
All in all, I would stay again, and I like Sheratons, but the very best of this place may be a few months away, and need some small adjustments.

Room Tip: Sea view is a bit of a waste of time at the moment
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
ThomasVanOpstal, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2013

Dear Listener,

Thank you for posting your feedback on your recent experience with us on tripadvisor.

I was happy to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay and certainly noted your comments.

I was also pleased to read that our associates made you feel welcomed and managed to handle all your request promptly and with care. You may rest assured that your feedback will be shared with them.

I appreciate your understanding of our situation when it comes to the construction taking place in the vicinity of the hotel and we are very much looking forward to a fast completion of the ongoing work. The disturbance levels are normally minimal yet it is hard to predict what may happen and when.

We would be more than happy to receive your family again in the future and remain at your disposal to handle all the relevant arrangement and personally ensure of your comfort.

I hope to have the pleasure of meeting you soon again in Abu Dhabi.

Thank you for your time and warm regards

Reviewed 6 January 2013

We stayed at the Sheraton for a week from 13th dec 2012. We stayed in a club, city view room.

The club rooms are worth upgrading to for the massive, buffet breakfast which is excellent and the free soft drinks during the day and the happy hour at the cloud bar in the evenings. The food on offer in the club room is really just snacks and the room itself is very small,so you would not want to sit in it for long.

The hotel bedroom was comfortable, if a little small. The window is quite narrow, meaning the room is quite dark and the balcony is small and therefore not somewhere to sit and relax. This was fine for us as the sun went down early, so we had no desire to sit out. The bathroom has a fantastic powershower. On the hotel website it advertises Bliss toiletries, but disappointingly we did not have these, so this feature should be taken off their website.

We were glad we did not book the sea view rooms, following reading other reviews. There are 2 tower blocks being built directly across from the hotel beach. These would certainly spoil any sea view. There is some noise from the building work during the day, but not enough to disturb, it is more just unsightly, but this is obviously not the Sheraton's fault. There is building work all over Abu Dhabi, so I think it would be difficult to find a hotel without construction close by.

We ate out at several other hotels during the week and comparing the Sheraton to these it is definitely far less modern and lacks a bit of the wow factor other newer hotels had. However we got such a good deal on our week, that we were happy with the Sharaton and the staff were always very helpful.

Room Tip: Due to building work, don't bother with a sea view. The upgrade to the club rooms is good value...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
ThomasVanOpstal, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2013

Dear Nefyn1,

I firstly would like to thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay with us on tripadvisor. Such firsthand comments are very valuable to the hotel as they allow us to continuously improve on our services.

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your overall stay with us and managed to use the many facilities we are offering. The breakfast is indeed a highlight of our customer’s culinary experience as it boast a wide variety of dishes from all over the world.

I was especially pleased about your comments on our associates as it is the most critical part of someone’s stay in a hotel. I meet many of our regular customers and they always say that first reason for them to return every time they are in town is because of our staff. You may rest assured that I will share your feedback with them.

I also appreciate your understanding of the situation with the construction in the hotel vicinity and I am happy that it did not disturb your relation time.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of receiving you again in the future and remain at your disposal to personally handle all the arrangements.

Reviewed 3 January 2013

I had the pleasure to be guest in the Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort nearly ten times in 2011 and 2012. It is one of my two favourite hotels in Abu Dhabi.
The location on the northeastern corner of Corniche Road puts you in the middle of everything: Abu Dhabi Mall, Marina Mall, some nice bars and clubs, Saadiyat Island and common business places can be reached within a few minutes by taxi. Since the Sheikh Zayed tunnel opened in December 2012 you safe the traffic jam if you approach the Sheraton from southerly direction.
The staff is always attentive and delivers service in a warm and friendly attitude. I found always a handwritten welcome message in my room as well as a fresh fruit platter and some chocolate - maybe in recognition of my SPG status. The rooms are of average size with a spacy working desk. All bathrooms are equipped with both shower and bath tub. Club rooms even have a iPod/iPhone loudspeaker.
Cleanliness in the rooms and in all public areas was always perfect. The breakfast in the flavours restaurant on 1st floor is just fantastic. Also other restaurants like the italian and the mexican restaurant (with live music) on ground floor and the tapas bar in the garden keep up with the high standards.
The gym is the best in Abu Dhabi and also visited by many locals.
Adjacent to the small beach is still a construction site that is huge and everything but nice. However, there are no limitations regarding the use of pool, beach and the open air restaurants.
For both business and leisure I would recommend this Sheraton to my best friend and I am looking forward to my next stay there.

Room Tip: A room on a club floor towards the pool side would be the perfect choice.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank zf34bu8q

Dear Karlsruhe,

Thank you for your loyalty to the Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel and to Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

We certainly appreciate you taking the time to post a review of your numerous visits of our hotel on Tripadvisor.

I was very pleased to see that as a repeat customer we have always managed to make you feel welcomed and that our associates take good care of you while staying with us.

Your kind comments about the hotel facilities, its location, restaurant and bar offering and service levels have been well noted and will be shared with our team who take great pride in delivering a flawless experience to our customers.

I will be looking forward to meeting you personally during a future visit and remain at your disposal for any assistance you may need from the hotel.

Once again, thank you for your time and warm regards

Reviewed 3 January 2013

Dealing with Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort was the worst experience ever.
Where i was the organizer of the New year event as the hotel replaces my menu with other terrible menu where me and all people who where attending the event disappointed for the bad choose of food
in addition of that, the waiters wasn't educated what was included in the event
where the event was open Alcohol bottles.
when the event started the waiters was shocked about the open bottles as there wasn't any communication from the management and the waiters

where that was the most terrible new year;s event i have ever organized in sheraton abudhabi

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank wessam_shomali
ThomasVanOpstal, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2013

Dear Mr. Shomali,

Thank you for posting a review on tripadvisor.

Following on our meetings, discussions and agreement I still would like to apologies for the trouble with the mix up between the menu which you had initially chosen and the one you had confirmed at the end.

The selection of food while not the one that should have been served, was of very good quality and well representative of the five stars standards we are renown for.

I believe that we had some miscommunication with you while arranging for the details of the function and considering that we have already discussed it on several occasions, I will not go into further details on the subject.

I wish you and your organization all the success you deserve for future events in Abu Dhabi