“New years eve”

Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort
Ranked #59 of 129 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

Recently I posted a review for the El Sombrero resteraunt in Sheraton and mentioned new years eve. I thought this special night warented it's own review. We ( my little girl 12) and I where sold the idea of new years eve by the wonderful staff in the El Sombrero. Lili, Brian, Peau and Rolain. So tickets where purchased at a good price I might add for that evenings extravaganza.
We were greated and seated with the same warmth and friendlyness we had previously experienced even taking into account the additional business of the resteraunt. The tables where embellished with every party piece you could imagine and the evening began.
The food again was amazing with myself having what I must say was one of the best rib eye steaks I have ever had... and I have had a few,as my waistline can prove.!! The band again played along even taking requests as the staff worked their magic making a fuss of every guest to ensure a god time was had. Especially my little girl who a day or so later was to turn 12, giving her a special party hat as they themselves where dressed as cow boys and girls... The staff on this evening where also joined by a new manager who to be totaly honest was a little overwealmed by the events of the evening but luckily clearly guided by the experience of the team there. To be honest I never really got to even know her name and I like to know.
After dinner we went outside to another live band and bubbly to see the new year in which was fantastic even though we saw no fireworks. The hotel looked AMAZING. With my little girl even saying she felt she was on a movie set in Hollywood. Which was where we spent a previous new years in LA. The staff again very polite and attentive bringing drinks and ensuring we had a fabulous time. After a while we returned to our table in El Sombrero to find a birthday cake for my little girl and serenaded by the staff and band as she blew out her candle. What a perfect finish to a perfect night. Thank you Sheraton. As we left I ask Casey my little girl what she had wished for as she blew out her candlethe answer came back " To be here again next year Daddy".... need I say any more. ..

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Martin_Cramer, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Dear LL Jones,

Many thanks for your kind review of our “New Year’s Eve” party.

I was looking forward to read your feedback after your last review of our Mexican Restaurant and I am very pleased to see that you enjoyed your experience with us.

The B-Lounge countdown event was indeed very enjoyable and we received many praises from our customers for the organization and the nice atmosphere.

Tala is our new Mexican restaurant manager and I am sure she would be pleased to meet with you during a future visit of El Sombrero, as would I.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and warm regards

Yves

Write a ReviewReviews (1,631)

Reviewed 11 January 2014

The hotel has good location. It is close to corniche. When I compare this hotel with others in Abu Dhabi, its advantages are superb breakfast and its beach. Its disadvantage the smaller rooms, but it is ok.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Etem H,

Thank you for sharing the comments on your recent experience with us on tripadvisor.

I was pleased to read that you found our facilities to your liking and that were impressed by our “Sheraton Breakfast Experience”.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly to plan a future visit as it would be my pleasure to personally ensure of your comfort.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and Warm regards

Reviewed 11 January 2014

We stayed in a club room with city view on the 7th floor which had access to the lounge most of the day and also a happy hour in the evenings.

Overall the service at the hotel was exceptional and they did there utmost to help their guests, when arriving the manager wanted to speak to us and welcome us to the hotel, when I visited the gym a personal trainer welcomed himself and offered to help at no charge from what I could gather, even when attending the pool the staff were always holding doors open and making conversation. These little touches made the stay very pleasant.

The breakfast was fabulous and we liked the idea of being able to get free drinks from the lounge although I don't see why they can't make the drinks free at the pool area too for club residents. The food in the lounge was not great and for some odd reason they served breakfast until 2pm and the sandwiches were not out until 2.30.

Compared to the size of the hotel the facilities were great, you had access to a free gym which was surprisingly big with good equipment, tennis courts and other sports, sauna, jacuzzi, and 2 heated pools one for children, there were also water sports for a small additional fee.

We only stayed here for 4 nights, and would have loved to stay here for longer. The room was a bit cramped but the bathroom was fantastic.

Tip: my friends for a similar price stayed at the Jemierah Etihad towers at the same time as us for a similar price for half board. If you can't get a good deal there then I would highly recommend this hotel. However the Etihad towers in many ways was better than the 7* Burj Al Arab.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing the feedback of your recent stay on tripadvisor.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and found our associates to be welcoming and very attentive.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you again in the future and I remain at your disposal to handle all arrangements personally

Warm regards

Reviewed 5 January 2014

We stayed in Sheraton for two weeks with family and two children, over Christmas and New Year.
The hotel was quite worn out and the normal club and other rooms really small compared to most hotels in the area. As we had two kids with us we got the chance to move up to a sweet which was spacious and had a good view, partly covered with a construction work with a building just opposite. Anyhow the building work did not disturbe us at all. The royal sweets were the only rooms with something you could call a terrace and I was happy to see them when we moved in, but to our suprise all the doors to the terrace were locked "for safety reasons" they told us. Still there were proper railings, just like in the rooms lower where you could open the doors. The manager said that as the terrace goes around the whole floor they cannot let guests go to the terrrace. I have, however, stayed in many hotels where guests share the terrace and we have never had a problem with that. So if you wish to have some fresh air do not choose these sweets. The beds were very good and comfortable, which at least for me is a very important for a good night sleep. The rooms at the 8th floor were also very quiet during the nights. My daughter and her husband stayed at the 6th floor and they were quite often disturbed by noices from the corridoor by nights. But that, ofcourse you have to blame the other quests, not the hotel.

The sweets were clean, and well taken care of during our stay every day. A bit worn out but OK.

The Club lounches did not offer much. Not worth the extras you pay for them.

The pool area was good and the beach was nice. Not a real long sandy beach where you can walk as it was kind of in the middle of the city but the water was clean and nice to swim. Warm enough for us who come from Finland.

We visited all the restaurants and all of them were good. The New Years evening at the Farmount restaurant even excellent.

The best part of this hotel was the staff though. Wherever we were we got friendly smiles and good service. The staff really made our stay enjoyable. So thank you for all of you.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Martin_Cramer, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Dear Mrs. Marritta,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your overall stay with us and found our leisure facilities and restaurants to your liking.

I was especially pleased about your comments on our associates as they truly are the heart and soul of the hotel and you may rest assured that I have shared your comments with them.

The reasons for the terraces of the 8th floor, which is the last floor of the building, not to be available to our guests is purely due to safety issues and while we would love to have them accessible, we have been advised against it.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of a future visit and I would like to remain at your disposal to handle all arrangements personally and ensure of your comfort.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and warm regards

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Was not too excited about the hotel in the beginning. Found it hard to find out where the pub and restaurants of the hotel were located. And nobody seemed to be able to tell me more about things to do around. Felt a little lost. As for a woman alone, there could be more help to make al these things easier. But as I stayed for a few days I started to feel comfortable and noticed all the good care. As for breakfast I loved the blueberry smoothie and I found it remarkable that there was even Mortadella (pork meat) available! I think it is a typical hotel to feel at ease with a family. For a single traveller I would rather go somewhere near the Emirates Palace.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the 7th floor.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Martin_Cramer, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us on tripadvisor, such firsthand feedback is very valuable to us and we always such comments to improve on our service offering.

We should have given you upon arrival a map of the hotel where all our restaurants and bars are clearly indicated and I will look at why this was omitted.

I am happy that you nonetheless enjoyed your stay with us and found our associates to be helpful.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us.

Warm regards

Reviewed 28 December 2013

What a great all round hotel. I have stayed here twice now and each time it has made my stay very enjoyable. The rooms are well maintained and very comfortable with everything that's needed. The brunch was superb on a Friday if somewhat under subscribed, I couldn't understand why more people didn't go. When I stayed I paid cira £75 per night which made this hotel exceptional value. The attached bar, The London Tavern, is great with a live band on most nights. In my opinion the best traditional pub in Abu Dhabi.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank David G
Martin_Cramer, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Dear David G,

Thank you for posting a review of our hotel on tripadvisor.

I was very pleased to read your comments and that you enjoyed your stay with us.

The brunch has been recently upgraded by our new Executive Chef and while it has always been of great quality and value, I agree that it is now really superb.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again and I would like to remain at your disposal to handle all arrangements personally.

Once again, thank you and warm regards

Reviewed 27 December 2013

The Hotel is already some years old, what is visible in many areas, but it was not disturbing us at all because the hotel was well managed. We booked a club room with access to the lounge, had breakfast included and a happy hour in the evening at a bar. The club rooms were a bit too small, but on the other hand the bath rooms were very nice and generous. The lounge was small and offered only few things to eat. As a lunch compensation it was sufficient but not for dinner. We know other hotels in Abu Dhabi where the lounge area is offering also warm food for lunch and dinner. But is was ok. A real advantage of this hotel is the spacious outdoor area, with a big beach area and a pool area with two levels. We always, even in the rush our time, found space. Another highlight is the health club, offering a very big training area with lots of tools, two squash courts, sauna, spa, gym, spinning ....tennis. Unfortunately the hotel lost the direct access to the sea some years ago, but it is still better than many other hotels in Abu Dhabi.
Food was ok - no complaints but also no real highlight - still the shanghai la buffet is the benchmark. Breakfast was a bit too much confusion, but maybe because it was real high season end of December.
We would come back.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Martin_Cramer, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2013

Dear Mr. Wagner,

Thank you for posting a review of our hotel on tripadvisor.

Your comments have been well appreciated and shared with our team of associates.

I hope that we will have the pleasure to receive you again in the future and I remain at your disposal to handle all arrangements personally and ensure of your comfort

Once again thank you for your kind feedback and warm regards