“A good choice”

Ranked #49 of 127 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Berks
“A good choice”
Reviewed 27 January 2011

Typically, I am a fan of Sheraton hotels. So far, I have found the staff to be very helpful and courteous and in the properties themselves you find the odd touches of class, here and there, that sets them apart from contemporary brands. In the Sheraton Corniche, I know the ground-floor outlets very well from the time I was resident in Abu Dhabi for 7 odd years – but had never stayed there. I knew also of the sumptuous lobby and chic cigar bar just up the grand staircase from the lobby to the first floor. The property itself has witnessed a lot of changes to its surrounding environment over the years – coincidentally maintaining the example of a good hotel that’s been around a while.

So my first stay in a room here was pretty good, with those little Sheraton touches including the marble clad bathroom and large comfy bed. My only disappointments were that the odd-shaped bed area of the room felt a little confined: With no room for it in the room itself, I had to put my suitcase on the granite-topped drawers in the wardrobe, thereby reducing space for my hanging clothes; The room’s two armchairs were placed just below the largish flat-screen TV facing away towards the opposite side of the room – so they didn’t get used too much – although even when seeing what was on, the selection of available channels was pretty limited.

A new discovery for me was the ‘Flavours’ buffet restaurant, which is spacious and a very pleasant environment with good food. During my 7-day trip, I saw it busiest during breakfast and on the Wednesday evening Seafood night. In all of the hotel’s restaurants that I visited, I could not praise the staff enough – attentive and efficient. Having specific dietary needs, the staff went to some length to ensure that the dishes I had were OK for me.

I didn’t get to use the gym on this trip but it looked large and well equipped. The adult and children pools, set within well manicured lawns and landscaping, are a good size – and if the weather had been a little warmer then I would probably have found time to take a dip. Shame about the beach though: With the arrival of the road linking the Corniche with Mina Zayed a few years back – the good sized beach now goes down to an ever decreasing splash of sea that disappears under the new bridge. After all, the beach/sea is what gave the hotel its ‘resort’ status.

The odds have been stacked in hotels’ favour in recent years, with more demand than rooms available in all hotels in the capital - leading to exorbitant rates being charged. That picture is hopefully beginning to change with new establishments opening in Das Island, Bain Al Jesrain and other areas of Abu Dhabi. In the frantic modernisation of the city, some have argued that the demolition of some of the older buildings has been comparable to throwing the baby out with its bathwater (e.g. the old souk area – grubby but charming as it was). Call me nostalgic but I hope that this, one of the oldest hotels in town, retains its looks well into the future.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank MeadowStorm
, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 29 January 2011
Dear MeadowStorm,

Thank you very much for posting a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and that the services of my colleagues met your expectations. I was interested to see your comparisons about Abu Dhabi then and now and I would like to assure you that we have no intentions to change the look and feel of our hotel – as you mentioned, the Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort has been one of the first international hotels in Abu Dhabi and while the hotel has regularly been renovated and the facilities updated, the hotel structure has seen little change since the hotel’s opening and has therefore by now become a symbol of the original Abu Dhabi.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel and I would appreciate it if you could contact me prior to your next visit in order for me to schedule a time when we can meet personally and reminisce about the “old” Abu Dhabi. Until then, I remain with kind regards,

J. Thomas C. van Opstal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 19 January 2011

We enjoyed our stay at Sheraton very much, due to the perfect service of all the staff, especially we would like to thank Rhea from Flavours Restaurant, to have us feel at home during our breakfast-sessions. The top concierge named Salah arranged al of our trips to perfection and Raju in the Coffee corner refreshed us every day with a smile and a fresh juice or expresso. Most of the time we spend in the various hotel restaurants as they have a great variety of excellent cuisine, so for leisure this is a real One-Stop-Shop. In the evening we relaxed at the Beachcomber bar with a nice Shisha ( waterpipe ) and a drink. All in all we can recommend this excellent Hotel with all its amenities to everybody ( business and leisure ). We will certainly be back!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 22 January 2011
Dear Cornelius48,

Thank you very much for posting a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. I was happy to learn that your stay at our hotel was up to your expectations and that my colleagues were able to make your stay more memorable by providing you the type of service we endeavor to give to all our customers. I will share your kind comments with the associates mentioned and I know they will be pleased to know that their efforts have not gone unnoticed. I look forward to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future and in case I can assist you with anything else in the meantime, please do not hesitate to let me know. In the meantime, I remain with kind regards,

USA
Reviewed 30 December 2010

Clean rooms and excellent restuarant (Italian) - Breakfast buffet is standard - Satisfactory.
Current city/road construction around hotel is a pain but tolerable.
Concierge needs English lessons, but does his best.
House keeping and room service Staff need a supervisor - They seem confused or seem to be in-training, but respond very well and fast for specific requests or stuff they might have missed in their regular rounds.
Only glaring negative is the staff around the pool bar. Impossible to get service - The waitress is not interested in doing her rounds and seems to be there to clock her hours.
I read my review above and it does sound very negative, but I would go back again assuming the managers will take this feedback seriously.
I mean - We came back after a tourist look around in the afternoon and were thirsty and sat in the bar past the entrance and ordered beers and this bar tender lady tells us we don't serve beer here. A normal person would assume OK this is UAE and this hotel has no permit! We leave. Then the next day a different bar tender lady tells us we can get beers at the pool or inside the restaurant just 6 feet past the spot we were misled.
I was in Abu Dhabi and Dubai for two weeks starting with this weeked in Abu Dhabi and I can tell you this is a good hotel with all the 5* facilities, but it is being tarnished by this useless staff and I am shocked the local middle management is not on the ball.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PickybutFair-USA
sheraton_abudhabi1, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 5 January 2011
Dear PickybutFair,

thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor. I was pleased to note that you overall enjoyed your stay with us and that you will return to stay with us again if your travel plans bring you back to Abu Dhabi. I would like to apologize if the service at the pool was not up to our usual standard and that my colleagues were giving you conflicting information about the service at the pool. We have just recently made a management change at the poolside and we expect that these issues will be resolved in the coming weeks when the new manager has settled in. Again, I must apologize for the disappointing service you experienced which is definitely not the norm at our hotel. Please rest assured that we will review your comments internally and that we will do the necessary to ensure that the shortcomings noticed by yourself will be rectified.

I would also like to inform you that the majority of construction works around our hotel has been completed and we expect the remainder of the roadwork to be concluded in the first quarter of this year. Thank you again for giving us your feedback, which is very much appreciated. I look forward to meeting you personally on your next visit to Abu Dhabi and our hotel and remain,

Koka, Japan
Reviewed 27 December 2010

I'm very pleasured with Sheraton Abu Dhabi, in my next trip to Abu Dhabi, i certainly choose Sheraton AUH again, because the relation cost/benefit is excellent (comfortable rooms for a just price), i hope in next time enjoy more and more!
Thanks to staff !

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
sheraton_abudhabi1, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 29 December 2010
Dear AK_Junior,

Thank you very much for your kind review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay and that my colleagues were able to meet your expectations. I have also noted that you intend to stay with us again when your travel plans bring you back to Abu Dhabi. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly for your next reservation – I look forward to meeting you personally and remain with kind regards and best wishes for a successful and happy New Year 2011.

General Manager”
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 24 December 2010

We found Sheraton Abu Dhabi to be excellently located and a great resort for relaxation purposes.
The room was perfect for just the two of us and the room service personnel were extremely friendly.
For just a short weekend break we loved the hotel and its facilities and would love to come back for a longer vacation.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
sheraton_abudhabi1, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 28 December 2010
Dear Ms. Harkink,

Thank you very much for posting a TripAdvisor review after your stay at our hotel. I was very pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay with us and that all the facilities and services met your expectation. I have taken note that you were especially pleased with the service provided by our in-room dining personnel and I have taken the liberty to share your kind comments with the team in the department and they are very happy that their efforts have not gone unnoticed. I have also taken note that you intend to return to our property in the future and I would be pleased to setup your next reservation for you – please contact me at the hotel directly once your itinerary for your next visit has been finalized and I will do the necessary. I look forward to meeting you personally on your next visit to Abu Dhabi and in the meantime, I remain with kind regards and best wishes for a successful and peaceful new Year,

Al Jubail, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 10 December 2010

Dear all,
today i like to share with you my last expierence with the Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort. It was such a pleasure to be back home and to spend some days in one of my favorite Hotels. It starts with a friendly person who picks you up from the Airport und the warm welcome i got when I checked in, it was such a pleasure after a really busy week for me. The team from the Sheraton are knowing how to make stay unforgetable and really, really nice.
Furthermore, after you have checked in and you get a great gudieance and all my questions i had have been professional being answers, and you feedl that these people are behind and really all willing to help you. The rooms are a tream espcially the beds where you can spend days to sleep as they are so comfortable, better than home :) .
To give you and overview which facilites our outlets you have to use let me start with my favorite bar the Coud Nine where nice people welcome you and you and where you have a relaxing evening, as well if you seafood and i love seafood specially on a Wednesday they Flavours will give you a warm welcome and you will enjoy a great evening.
Even the other outlets like the La Mamma or El Sombrero offer you a great selection of international cusine. even they have agreat GYM and Pool Area, but this stay i found not the time to work out, as i realy enjoyed to try all the outlets and their nice selection of Food and Beverage.
In my opinion and I spend a lot of time in hotels, the Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel and Resort, is must it is agreat pleasure to be there and I feel like being home that is one of the reasons to be hopefully back soon.
The meetings i had here with my business partners which well organized and well done, what to say more.
My special thanks goes to Ruth from the Cloud Nine lounge, Lars from the Flavours, Christopher the Executive Chef and to the rest of the Chefs the wood was WOW : many thanks, you offered me great time which i will not forget. Looking forward to be back soon until than I wish you a Merry X-mas and a happy new year thanks to the Sheraton Management WELL DONE Thank you very much.

With kind regards
Oliver Klingbeil

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
sheraton_abudhabi1, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 22 December 2010
Dear Mr. Klingbeil,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a TripAdvisor review after your recent stay at our hotel. I was very pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay with us and that my colleagues were able to look after you during your tenure with us and that the facilities and services met your expectations. I have taken the liberty to share your kind comments with the colleagues you have mentioned in your review and I can assure you that they are very pleased that their efforts to make your stay with us a comfortable one did not go unnoticed. We look forward to welcome you back to our hotel soon and remain with the Compliments of the Season,

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2010

On check in was asked to provide credit card for a deposit. It was declined. Gave another credit card it was declined. I was asked to phone my bank, on my own mobile at my cost. There were no problems with either card. Check in admitted their machine was having problems. Told to pay cash or I could let them photocopy my card!! Great give them my card so they can clone it. This should never be asked. Ended up having to give them all my cash. Following morning Yes indeed their credit card machines had had problems the night before. Really bad considering I was a preffered guest, they could see my details on screen and I had used the credit card two days prior to secure the room. Treated like a criminal and made to feel it was my fault they had technical issues when it was clearly their fault.

Had room service due to late check in. The person who delivered was more interested in watching my tv when he delivered. Actually left the room watching the tv!

Breakfast on second day was met by a queue of 20 or more people all complaining they had been waiting 30 minutes already. Could not wait due to business appointment. Mentioned this to reception and they refused to offer any credit for the missed breakfast or any explanation.

Went to the pool bar in the early evening, my only time to actually enjoy the hotel facilities. Sat down to be treated to an argument between the staff who were obvioulsy in serious disarray with glasses unwashed all over the place. Seems they were arguing who was going to wash up. For my second drink they were about to give me an unwashed glass!!

Had a meal in the Italian. Tried to ask what accompanied the steak in terms of vegetables. Due to language I ended up with no vegetables or salad.

Rooms are ok bathrooms are well done but they have a serious build fault which means you can hear both the corridor activity and the bedrooms next door. Not so great when there is a couple agruing night one and a baby screaming at 10 - 12 PM night two.

In the UK terms this would not be a five star hotel and be in the region of 3/4. It only has the five star because of facilities.

Seems there is a blame culture here on reading other reviews; management blaming staff etc. I always thought that you lead from the top. I certainly dont blame issues in my business on my staff as it is my responsibility to ensure they know how to treat my clients. In the hotel trade service is the key and this is a serious problem at this hotel.

Some staff were great such as the poor lady in the pool bar who after listening to the arguments just got on and washed up. Staff in the first floor bar were also considerate and attentive however they are being let down by those staff members who really dont care or know how to behave correctly in front of clients.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Ben22069
sheraton_abudhabi1, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 21 November 2010
Dear Ben,

Thank you very much for posting your review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. I am sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations during your stay and that you felt that the services rendered by my colleagues was not up to our usual high standard.

We have reviewed your comments in detail and rather that explaining to you our findings, I would appreciate it if you were to give our hotel another try in order for us to prove to you that your experience at our hotel was not the norm. I would appreciate it if you were to contact me directly at the hotel and let me know when your travel plans bring you back to Abu Dhabi in order for me to make amends – I am confident that your next stay with us will be up to your expectations and that we will be able to change your mind about our hotel. Incidentally, I have also received your written comments you had left for my attention upon check-out and I will reply to your email address separately in order for you to have my full contact details.

Once again, my apologies for a disappointing stay with us. I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to our hotel soon again and in the meantime, I remain with kind regards,

J Thomas C van Opstal