“Nice hotel but complaints fall on deaf ears!”

Ranked #50 of 127 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Bethesda, Maryland
“Nice hotel but complaints fall on deaf ears!”
Reviewed 25 February 2011

I travel frequently for business and pleasure and am a loyal Starwood hotels customer; currently Gold level. That led me to the Sheraton Hoel & Resort Abu Dhabi. I was in residence there for nearly 3 weeks in February 2011. I would recommend the hotel but if you have a concern you may not get any response. One week into my stay I wrote to the hotel general manager, Mr. [-], requesting consideration for internet service and club access due to my extended stay. I checked out 2 weeks later having no response from him and having spent over $5,000 in his hotel. I followed this up with a note to the head of guest services when I returned home. I had received an email invitation t contact him as part of a hotel survey regarding my stay. I still have not heard anything form either gentleman. Apparently they only respond to good reviews from their guests.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 8 March 2011
Dear Mr. Hanson,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us on your recent stay in the hotel and while I certainly appreciate your comments sent in regards to your experience, I was left with an uncomfortable feeling in regards to what you have mentioned about our follow up and response on customer concerns. I had personally sent you an e-mail the same day we had received your message to our Director of Guest services on the 20th of February. (the message is available for your review)

I had explained that our General Manager was not present in the property during your visit and that we did not receive your letter with your requests for additional long staying benefits.

You may rest assured that we take great care to answer each guest request immediately and we cherish when one of our patrons take the time to send us their firsthand feedback. You will also take notice by scrolling through the trip advisor website that we make a point of answering our guest comments especially when an issue has arise during their stay.

I hope that the below will clarify the misunderstanding and remain at your disposal should you need additional information on your request.

Yves
Deputy General manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
chichester
Reviewed 19 February 2011

I would highly recommend this hotel. There are a variety of hotel choices to make in Abu Dhabi but for us this traditional hotel offered an amazing service that made us glad we selected it. The local building work, which won't last forever, is currently unsightly. However it won't be there always and it did not spoil our stay.
We will be going back there and will certainly stay again.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 20 February 2011
Dear Customer,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to rate our hotel and share your experience with other travelers.

It is a real pleasure for me to see that our associates made you feel welcomed and that you enjoyed your time with us. I will make sure that your comments are shared with our associates as it motivates and drive them to ensure the same is done with every customer interactions.

While we tend to only share feedback when something goes wrong it is very refreshing to see that some of us also share their positive experiences with others and once again I would like to thank you for that.

I certainly hope that we will be able to receive you once again in the hotel in the future and that I will be able to personally meet with you on this occasion.

Warm regards

Yves

Deputy General Manager
Berks
Reviewed 27 January 2011

Typically, I am a fan of Sheraton hotels. So far, I have found the staff to be very helpful and courteous and in the properties themselves you find the odd touches of class, here and there, that sets them apart from contemporary brands. In the Sheraton Corniche, I know the ground-floor outlets very well from the time I was resident in Abu Dhabi for 7 odd years – but had never stayed there. I knew also of the sumptuous lobby and chic cigar bar just up the grand staircase from the lobby to the first floor. The property itself has witnessed a lot of changes to its surrounding environment over the years – coincidentally maintaining the example of a good hotel that’s been around a while.

So my first stay in a room here was pretty good, with those little Sheraton touches including the marble clad bathroom and large comfy bed. My only disappointments were that the odd-shaped bed area of the room felt a little confined: With no room for it in the room itself, I had to put my suitcase on the granite-topped drawers in the wardrobe, thereby reducing space for my hanging clothes; The room’s two armchairs were placed just below the largish flat-screen TV facing away towards the opposite side of the room – so they didn’t get used too much – although even when seeing what was on, the selection of available channels was pretty limited.

A new discovery for me was the ‘Flavours’ buffet restaurant, which is spacious and a very pleasant environment with good food. During my 7-day trip, I saw it busiest during breakfast and on the Wednesday evening Seafood night. In all of the hotel’s restaurants that I visited, I could not praise the staff enough – attentive and efficient. Having specific dietary needs, the staff went to some length to ensure that the dishes I had were OK for me.

I didn’t get to use the gym on this trip but it looked large and well equipped. The adult and children pools, set within well manicured lawns and landscaping, are a good size – and if the weather had been a little warmer then I would probably have found time to take a dip. Shame about the beach though: With the arrival of the road linking the Corniche with Mina Zayed a few years back – the good sized beach now goes down to an ever decreasing splash of sea that disappears under the new bridge. After all, the beach/sea is what gave the hotel its ‘resort’ status.

The odds have been stacked in hotels’ favour in recent years, with more demand than rooms available in all hotels in the capital - leading to exorbitant rates being charged. That picture is hopefully beginning to change with new establishments opening in Das Island, Bain Al Jesrain and other areas of Abu Dhabi. In the frantic modernisation of the city, some have argued that the demolition of some of the older buildings has been comparable to throwing the baby out with its bathwater (e.g. the old souk area – grubby but charming as it was). Call me nostalgic but I hope that this, one of the oldest hotels in town, retains its looks well into the future.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank MeadowStorm
, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 29 January 2011
Dear MeadowStorm,

Thank you very much for posting a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and that the services of my colleagues met your expectations. I was interested to see your comparisons about Abu Dhabi then and now and I would like to assure you that we have no intentions to change the look and feel of our hotel – as you mentioned, the Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort has been one of the first international hotels in Abu Dhabi and while the hotel has regularly been renovated and the facilities updated, the hotel structure has seen little change since the hotel’s opening and has therefore by now become a symbol of the original Abu Dhabi.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel and I would appreciate it if you could contact me prior to your next visit in order for me to schedule a time when we can meet personally and reminisce about the “old” Abu Dhabi. Until then, I remain with kind regards,

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 19 January 2011

We enjoyed our stay at Sheraton very much, due to the perfect service of all the staff, especially we would like to thank Rhea from Flavours Restaurant, to have us feel at home during our breakfast-sessions. The top concierge named Salah arranged al of our trips to perfection and Raju in the Coffee corner refreshed us every day with a smile and a fresh juice or expresso. Most of the time we spend in the various hotel restaurants as they have a great variety of excellent cuisine, so for leisure this is a real One-Stop-Shop. In the evening we relaxed at the Beachcomber bar with a nice Shisha ( waterpipe ) and a drink. All in all we can recommend this excellent Hotel with all its amenities to everybody ( business and leisure ). We will certainly be back!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 22 January 2011
Dear Cornelius48,

Thank you very much for posting a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. I was happy to learn that your stay at our hotel was up to your expectations and that my colleagues were able to make your stay more memorable by providing you the type of service we endeavor to give to all our customers. I will share your kind comments with the associates mentioned and I know they will be pleased to know that their efforts have not gone unnoticed. I look forward to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future and in case I can assist you with anything else in the meantime, please do not hesitate to let me know. In the meantime, I remain with kind regards,

USA
Reviewed 30 December 2010

Clean rooms and excellent restuarant (Italian) - Breakfast buffet is standard - Satisfactory.
Current city/road construction around hotel is a pain but tolerable.
Concierge needs English lessons, but does his best.
House keeping and room service Staff need a supervisor - They seem confused or seem to be in-training, but respond very well and fast for specific requests or stuff they might have missed in their regular rounds.
Only glaring negative is the staff around the pool bar. Impossible to get service - The waitress is not interested in doing her rounds and seems to be there to clock her hours.
I read my review above and it does sound very negative, but I would go back again assuming the managers will take this feedback seriously.
I mean - We came back after a tourist look around in the afternoon and were thirsty and sat in the bar past the entrance and ordered beers and this bar tender lady tells us we don't serve beer here. A normal person would assume OK this is UAE and this hotel has no permit! We leave. Then the next day a different bar tender lady tells us we can get beers at the pool or inside the restaurant just 6 feet past the spot we were misled.
I was in Abu Dhabi and Dubai for two weeks starting with this weeked in Abu Dhabi and I can tell you this is a good hotel with all the 5* facilities, but it is being tarnished by this useless staff and I am shocked the local middle management is not on the ball.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PickybutFair-USA
sheraton_abudhabi1, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 5 January 2011
Dear PickybutFair,

thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor. I was pleased to note that you overall enjoyed your stay with us and that you will return to stay with us again if your travel plans bring you back to Abu Dhabi. I would like to apologize if the service at the pool was not up to our usual standard and that my colleagues were giving you conflicting information about the service at the pool. We have just recently made a management change at the poolside and we expect that these issues will be resolved in the coming weeks when the new manager has settled in. Again, I must apologize for the disappointing service you experienced which is definitely not the norm at our hotel. Please rest assured that we will review your comments internally and that we will do the necessary to ensure that the shortcomings noticed by yourself will be rectified.

I would also like to inform you that the majority of construction works around our hotel has been completed and we expect the remainder of the roadwork to be concluded in the first quarter of this year. Thank you again for giving us your feedback, which is very much appreciated. I look forward to meeting you personally on your next visit to Abu Dhabi and our hotel and remain,

Koka, Japan
Reviewed 27 December 2010

I'm very pleasured with Sheraton Abu Dhabi, in my next trip to Abu Dhabi, i certainly choose Sheraton AUH again, because the relation cost/benefit is excellent (comfortable rooms for a just price), i hope in next time enjoy more and more!
Thanks to staff !

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
sheraton_abudhabi1, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 29 December 2010
Dear AK_Junior,

Thank you very much for your kind review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay and that my colleagues were able to meet your expectations. I have also noted that you intend to stay with us again when your travel plans bring you back to Abu Dhabi. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly for your next reservation – I look forward to meeting you personally and remain with kind regards and best wishes for a successful and happy New Year 2011.

General Manager”
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 24 December 2010

We found Sheraton Abu Dhabi to be excellently located and a great resort for relaxation purposes.
The room was perfect for just the two of us and the room service personnel were extremely friendly.
For just a short weekend break we loved the hotel and its facilities and would love to come back for a longer vacation.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
sheraton_abudhabi1, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 28 December 2010
Dear Ms. Harkink,

Thank you very much for posting a TripAdvisor review after your stay at our hotel. I was very pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay with us and that all the facilities and services met your expectation. I have taken note that you were especially pleased with the service provided by our in-room dining personnel and I have taken the liberty to share your kind comments with the team in the department and they are very happy that their efforts have not gone unnoticed. I have also taken note that you intend to return to our property in the future and I would be pleased to setup your next reservation for you – please contact me at the hotel directly once your itinerary for your next visit has been finalized and I will do the necessary. I look forward to meeting you personally on your next visit to Abu Dhabi and in the meantime, I remain with kind regards and best wishes for a successful and peaceful new Year,