“Good but tired” 4 of 5 bubbles

Hilton Abu Dhabi
Ranked #38 of 130 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
“Good but tired”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2011

I made great use of the beach club on a one-night stay and the room was very nice, except clearly dated with the small, easily-fogged window and old bathroom. Staff were sometimes good, except that they came to my room 4 times in the afternoon (that I know about - I was at the beach for several hours) to do strange things like remove one of the brands of beer from the fridge. I put up the do not disturb sign to keep them away. Also, internet is at swanky westerb hotel prices.

• Stayed July 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
HiltonAbuDhabiDO, Director of Operations at Hilton Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 6 September 2011
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay with us here on Trip Advisor.

I have noted your comments on the condition of the room; rest assured that we regularly update our rooms and other areas of the hotel to be on par with the competition. In fact, we completed renovation of the majority of our rooms last July 2010.

Once again, thank you and hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you again during your next visit.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2011

The staff were of the highest standard, friendly, polite and always smiling, willing to assist you at any time. I appreciated the upgrade and the lovely touches in our room, fruit and the flower for the bathroom/lounge area. Our room was immaculate and so comfortable. Disapointed that the pool was closed, but their beach resort just through the underpass certainly made up for that. We ate at Hemmingways, enjoyed the food selection and found it was Ladies Night on Tuesdays, so my drinks were free an added bonus. Certainly a hotel I would re-visit and hopefully in the near future.

Room Tip: Enrol in the Hilton Honor Scheme
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TinaWales_7
Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Abu Dhabi and for taking the time to write this comment on Trip Advisor.

It feels great to learn that you think our team members are friendly and polite and that they make a difference. Guest satisfaction is our primary focus and we always strive to provide the best customer service to our guests.

I have also noted that you made use of our facilities at the Hiltonia Beach Club and enjoyed the food at the Hemingway’s.

Once again, thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you again real soon!

Mahe Island, Seychelles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2011

I recently stayed at the hilton Abu dhabi for a few nights for business. I arrived early morning and was greeted by a friendly receptionist who not only checked me in quickly and efficiently, he maintained a warm and hospitable smile. They had upgraded me to a sea view room where I had a view of the gulf. Concierge brought up my luggage in the nick of time so i could get to bed as quickly as possible, after a long flight you're not keen on waiting on people. The room was small but comfortable and its old fashioned charm was quite becoming. My days were mainly going to involve meetings and a little bit of shopping and concierge were happy to help me get around. They ensured I got a taxi as quickly as possible so as not to stand in the unbearable heat. Everyone at the Hilton was intent on making my stay as comfortable as possible. I was at the Hilton on a Bed and Breakfast rate so I didnt miss the chance to get to try their food. Breakfast was delicious, full of variety and the staff were great. My few days were well spent, I highly reccomend it and will be back there soon with my family.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

It is a pleasure to learn that you were satisfied with the room, the service of our staff members and the breakfast at La Terrazza restaurant. We are glad to have contributed to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

Once again, thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Abu Dhabi and we look forward to welcome you again as a valued guest in the future.

Siegen, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

Our stay at the Hilton has definitely met the expectations we had initially set for our vacation in Abu Dhabi.
The hotel is among the oldest in the city, but it was especially with regards to its location the most appealing one. Between the hotel and its Beach Club visitors can find the boardwalk of Abu Dhabi, which can only be crossed by walking through an underpass. However, the private atmosphere of the beach with a number of bars and restaurants was great!
Unfortunately, most of the other hotels that we saw had no direct connection to the beach. Oftentimes, they were located next to channels. Therefore, we were glad to have found a hotel with such a beautiful location.
The beach provided us with a great view over the skyline of Abu Dhabi. We were able to see a huge mall and the emerging skyscrapers. All of these impressions reflect the typical character of the city, which was exactly what we wanted to experience in Abu Dhabi.
One of the highlights was the large-scale variety of restaurants within the hotel. In six days we visited six different restaurants and we still have not seen all of them. Vascos especially with its wonderful view was an unforgettable experience. Overall though, every restaurant was unique. Italian or Thai restaurants, bars and live music….
From our room we had a great view over the bay. Even though, one was able to tell that the rooms were slightly older, they were very clean and did not lack in size. Yet, the weather was too nice to stay indoors. The breakfast was plentiful with nice opening hours and the service staff was consistently friendly and always courteous.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank iliketotravel2606
HiltonAbuDhabiDO, Director of Operations at Hilton Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 21 August 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a comment on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us.

Glad to note that our facilities and services met with your satisfaction and you enjoyed your stay with us. It is true that our hotel is conveniently located along the Corniche Avenue with easy access to points of interest, such as the Emirates Palace and Marina Mall.

Thank you for your appreciative comments on our Hiltonia Beach Club and its restaurants. We do have an extensive number of restaurants of various cuisines and we are happy to learn that you managed to experience most of them.

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

As others have mentioned, the outside of the hotel certainly has a dated feel, but don't let that put you off. Great hotel in good location, (right on the Corniche, close to Marina Mall, and beachfront too), with good facilities and service.

The most impressive feature of the hotel is its Health Club/Pool Complex, which although located across the road (is accessed via an underground tunnel) and on the beach. You not only have the choice of the beach area, with plenty of sunloungers to go around, but two good sized pools as well. The changing rooms in the Health Club also feature a sauna/steam room, and a large and very warm communal jaccuzi.

Stayed in an Executive Room on 9th floor. Room was oversized and very comfortable, whilst the features do look a little dated they tried to update things with large flat screen tv, contemporary bedding and the like. Bathroom was reasonably sized, but no seperate shower cubicle. Lounge had a good range of food for afternoon tea/happy hour etc.

Have no problem recommending this hotel for somewhere to stay in Abu Dhabi.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

It feels great to learn that you enjoyed the facilities and services of our Hiltonia Beach Club and that you find our location to be conveniently placed along the Corniche Avenue with accessibility to the Marina Mall.

Hopefully, we will have the opportunity to welcome you again should your future travels bring you back to the capital.

Beirut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

Spent a total of 4 weeks at the Abu Dhabi Hilton, so was able to get a decent idea of what the place is like. Before starting, I should mention I spend about 250 nights a year in hotels, and in Abu Dhabi, have spent most of my time at the Sheraton and Royal Meridien.

There are a few great things about the Hilton, and I think I should start with those, because they are the reason I went there for a month. There are a number of very good dining options, both in the hotel itself and across the street in the Hiltonia resort (part of the hotel, it has the spa and a few restaurants). I personally really like Vasco's, which does Italian, sea food, and some Asian food as well, and does all of them quite well (tip: sole fish with lemon and asparagus -- excellent!). The Italian place is also very good, and for a slightly cheaper option, Royal Orchid is fairly solid for Asian food.

The gym is another great thing about the Hilton. I am told by friends who live in Abu Dhabi that it is one of the most popular gyms for locals to get a membership at, and I can see why. Has plenty of equipment, which is all new and in good working order. The place is clean and light.

Also, the location is good, although being position in the middle of the Corniche means that if you've got to leave during rush hours to, say, the airport, it can get quite busy.

Now, on to the main questions: what is the actual stay like? The rooms, in my opinion, are a bit of the shabby side. I've stayed 3 weeks in a regular room, and 1 week in a suite. The regular rooms are somewhat small and musty. There isn't great light as the windows are kind of small, and I'm not a fun of the brownish carpets, which don't look very appealing or, for that matter, particularly clean. Bathrooms look like they were installed a decade ago as well. Which would make sense as the hotel is kind of old. Beds are very comfortable, though. (As for the suite, it is HUGE, really just one very big room, with about the same amount of furniture as a regular room, except for an additional couch, so mostly it is good for walking around in, but not significantly exceptional beyond that.) Room service is one of the best I've seen in Abu Dhabi -- excellent options and excellent food. Finally, the staff is alright - I wouldn't say they are either great or bad, just professional as you would expect in a place like this.

My overall verdict? If good food, a proper gym, and nice restaurants are your priority, this is a good place. It is also located very close to the Marina Mall, in case shopping is something you'd like to do. If you want a relaxing stay in 5* comfort, I would probably suggest trying another place that is a little newer than the Hilton. In fact, there's plenty of nicer and newer hotels that are cheaper than the Hilton.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

It is a pleasure to read that you find our dining options extensive and enjoyed the various cuisines in our restaurants. As you mentioned, our Hiltonia Beach Club is one of the most popular clubs in Abu Dhabi which offers a wide range of facilities to cater to fitness and recreational requirements of our guests and members. It is still one of the largest and most sophisticated clubs in the city.

With regards to your comment on the condition of the rooms, please be assured that we are constantly improving our rooms and other hotel facilities, such as restaurants, meeting rooms and corridors. In fact, we completed a refurbishment of half of the hotel in July 2010 to be on par with other competitive hotels in the city.

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Abu Dhabi and we look forward to welcome you again during your next visit to the Emirates.

Monchengladbach, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2011

I stayed in Hilton Abu Dhabi for 7 nights in June 2011. This was a perfect stay starten from the arrival. I got a very nice room facing the sea. The food either in Hemmingways and also in room service was excellent. Hiltonia Beach Club was very clean and really nice. The staff in Hilton Abu Dhabi made me feel like home, I will denfinitely come back over christmas.

Nothing that the Hotel shoul have done better!

Room Tip: Room facing the sea is wonderful!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Nicola2203
HiltonAbuDhabiDO, Director of Operations at Hilton Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 8 August 2011

I am pleased to learn that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that your found our food & beverage offerings in Hemingway’s & Room Service excellent. Thank you for your nice comments on our Hiltonia Beach Club and the service of our team members.

Hopefully, we will have the opportunity to welcome you again during your next visit to Abu Dhabi.