“Going some way to reverse my view of Hilton”
Review of Hilton Abu Dhabi

Hilton Abu Dhabi
Ranked #46 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 10 February 2013

I booked the Hilton Abu Dhabi for a family break, and in particular a family birthday. I would have happily stayed at the Millennium on Khalifa Street where I stayed before and had a great experience, but this time we wanted a beach, and the Hilton appeared to have the better beach (compared to the Beach Rotana) and location (compared to the Shangri-La).

Staying with the Hilton as a Hilton Honours member is a bit like a test of perseverance: you put up with being treated as a relative nobody until finally you become a Diamond or Gold member, and then you are admitted into the 'Club', and are showered with perks: you become a guest who matters. This formulaic and rigid approach to customer service has deterred me from being a regular guest at Hiltons, and this time I was interested to see what service they would provide (I am only a 'novice' HH member, not a VIP Diamond or Gold). I had told the hotel beforehand that it was my brother's birthday, and could they make our stay extra special. They replied saying they would make him their 'Guest of the Day' (whatever that means), and present him with a cake. While this was all very nice, what would have been more appreciated was an upgrade to a bigger room: we were three people in a room, it was a special occasion, we were staying for 8 nights, and on arrival I paid for an upgrade to an Executive room with Lounge access, so it would not have been amiss to give us a bigger room. Other hotels do it easily, why can't the Hilton? But no, we got the same Twin Standard room but on a higher floor - this category of room is very small, with a tiny strip of window from floor to ceiling, and as result we were very cramped in our room with insufficient room for our luggage and ourselves. This would be my biggest disappointment with the Hilton, and unfortunately more in line with what I had been expecting, based on previous experience.

That aside, the service was exceptional throughout the hotel, particularly the Exec Lounge. It was worth the upgrade, as an Exec room gives you complimentary wi-fi access (albeit quite a dodgy connection), and food served practically throughout the day from breakfast (nice continental with omelettes to order also on offer), light lunch (typically sandwiches, dolma and salad), afternoon tea (small pastries) and canapes for dinner.

The location of the Hilton is very good, within walking distance to the Marina Mall (although I think the al-Wahda Mall is better), near the Emirates Palace (a must-visit, and their afternoon tea is fantastic), and on the Corniche, so you can go for pleasant walks alongside the Arabian Gulf. The Hilton also offers a complimentary shuttle service to the Central Market/Souk on Hamdan Street, although it only runs twice in the evening - it would be great if it ran more often. The shuttle service to the Sheikh Zayed Mosque is great value and very convenient.

The main attraction is the Beach Club, which is actually across the road (via an underpass) from the hotel. It's a slight inconvenience to have to cross the road to get to the beach, but not much. The service is excellent here as well, with attendants ready to help you set up your loungers etc. I never had any trouble finding a lounger in a good spot right by the Gulf. The beach itself is not great - it's about 350m long and looks out onto Marina Mall and Lulu Island rather than water stretching into the distance (unlike Dubai), but this is more due to Abu Dhabi's coastline being curved rather than the Hilton's fault.

I loved their Fitness Centre and Spa: the gym is spacious and well-equipped, the jacuzzi is huge and clean, as are the changing rooms. This would be one of the top reasons for me to stay here again.

Regarding the room, size aside, the linens were very clean every day which was great. However, the fridge was a bit mucky, and the AC was noisy and not very efficient: on a couple of nights I had trouble sleeping because it was quite stuffy in the room and the AC wasn't as efficient as I would have liked.

So, in summary, this stay at the Hilton challenged my previous reluctance to stay at Hiltons, but I think they could have done a little more. I stay at plenty of hotels, and Hiltons are still not at the top of my list (maybe I have high expectations), but this is a good place to stay in Abu Dhabi because of the location, the service and the great facilities. I would probably stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
HiltonAbuDhabiDO, Director of Operations at Hilton Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2013

Thank you very much for your feedback about your stay at the Hilton Abu Dhabi and I am pleased that the Hilton Abu Dhabi was able to change your overall view of Hilton, due to the services, location, and Beach Club.

I am very sorry to read about your negative experience regarding the rooms allocation and the inappropriate size for three guests in the room.

Our location is indeed convenient to points of interest, such as Emirates Palace and Marina Mall. Thank you for your appreciative comments about our Fitness centre and Spa.

It is heartwarming to know that you have enjoyed our services, and the friendly service of our team members. We hope to welcome you again as valued guests should you visit Abu Dhabi in the future.

Director of Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (3,217)

Reviewed 8 February 2013

If you are fortunate enough to make the trip to Abu Dhabi, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), then there is no better place to stay than the Hilton. Location is everything and they certainly have the best one, but that is not the main reason to spend your hard earned greenbacks for this hotel. The service is exceptional, the employees and staff truly bend over backwards to make your stay not just a stay, but more like your home away from home. Several on site restaurants as well as top notch 24 hour room service. From hot tea or coffee in the main lobby before you start out your day, to having the same after you return from your wonderous ventures throughout the heart of the city! Located close to the beach, just a few steps away, and a short jaunt across the water by foot to the Marina Mall which has everything you could possibly need, including a grocery store. If you are coming to Abu Dhabi, you NEED to make sure you stay at the Hilton if you want top class, comfort, service and accomodations. A business trip brought my husband here and he brought me along for the ride. You don't need a friend to venture out alone and the hotel provides you with maps for guides and the knowledgeable staff will tell you how to get anywhere you want to go. House keeping is premium, with top notch toiletries. If you plan to stay elsewhere, you are making a huge mistake and I am a hotel know-it-all. Our stay here has been better than our stay at the Waldorf Astoria in NYC! I bet you wouldn't think you could beat that! Come and enjoy the Hilton at Abu Dhabi, a little piece of paradise at a good price! :) Our stay has been from 1 February 2013, and we do not leave this hotel until 15 February. Two weeks of romantic get away when the hubby does get in from his business day, and daily walks to shop or for sight seeing. I walked 8 hours yesterday, felt the burn, but have lost 7 pounds since my arrival, just walking this beautiful city and returning to my little oasis each day here at the Hilton!!!

Room Tip: You don't have to be a prince or princess to stay in a luxurious room. We are your average Joe...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank carolalexandermarco
HiltonAbuDhabiDO, Director of Operations at Hilton Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2013

We are truly honoured that you have taken time to write to us about your experiences during your stay at our hotel.

Thank you for your appreciative comments about our staff & amenities.

Once again thank you very much for your loyalty and support to the Hilton Abu Dhabi and I look forward to welcome you very soon.

Reviewed 6 February 2013

We stayed for one night after a Seawings flight from Dubai. The hotel was well situated on the Corniche which is perfect for a walk or bicycle ride. There is a tiled passageway with fountains under the road in front of the hotel. This takes you onto the Hilton beach. There are pools, a children's play area, a spa, cafes and restaurants. In the hotel itself are many more restaurants. We had a lovely dinner in the Royal Orchid. The buffet breakfast was delicious, too. Our stay was too brief and we plan to return to this hotel in Abu Dhabi very soon. There is a shuttle bus to the Grand Mosque and there are other sights such as the Heritage Village to visit next time.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank alexandra079
HiltonAbuDhabiDO, Director of Operations at Hilton Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post this review on Trip Advisor.
We are glad that we have contributed to make your stay enjoyable and we look forward to welcoming you back during your future visits to Abu Dhabi!

Reviewed 4 February 2013

We traveled in December 2012 with our young children (6 and 3) and they particularly enjoyed the water-slides. We requested an extra bed for our room and the hotel staff were very accommodating. Breakfast was excellent. We would definitely stay at the Hilton again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank e-vine

Thank you for your brief comment on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to read that you were satisfied with our services and food.

We look forward to welcome you once again should your travels bring you back to Abu Dhabi.

Reviewed 1 February 2013

The staff were very good here-warm welcome, very nice room allocated in a quiet location and excellent exec lounge-you can graze from breakfast to the evening it seems.
WIFI was a bit spotty and I had some trouble connecting in my room and in the lobby but the exec lounge WIFI was good and fast. There is a nice pool area but across the main road by underapss and a very nice long long promenade full of joggers and families out walking Very attractive and there is a big mall very close by. I would happily return here

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post this review on Trip Advisor.
Glad to have contributed to make your stay enjoyable and we look forward to welcoming you back during your future visits to the capital!

Reviewed 31 January 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for three nights during a stopover from South Africa to Chicago. I've stayed at many Hiltons, but this was by far the most luxurious. We were informed prior to going that hotels in Abu Dhabi are competitive so customer service is exceedingly high. Customer service was an understatement, everyone was cheerful and friendly from top to bottom. We were upgraded upon check in and thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. It is also located very closely to the mall where you can literally get lost.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Abu Dhabi to spend your three nights stop over.

Glad to read that you had a pleasurable and relaxing time with us and that you enjoyed the facilities of our Hotel.

Thank you for the appreciative comments regarding the friendliness and helpfulness of our team members, which I have shared immediately.

We hope to welcome you again during your future visits and we will do our best to make them as enjoyable as this recent Christmas stay!

Reviewed 31 January 2013

My stay was superb and the hotel associates are extremely courteous in all areas especially the front desk agent Ms. Yalem, housekeeping attendant forget the name and the waiter who serve me in the Bar all were very friendly and caring.

Room Tip: Preferably front view rooms are good to stay.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for posting this brief review on Trip Advisor and for complimenting our front desk service.

We are glad that you find our hotel to be a great place to stay.

Hopefully we will have the chance to welcome you back should you visit Abu Dhabi again in a not too distant future!