“Great Hotel”
Review of Hilton Abu Dhabi

Hilton Abu Dhabi
Ranked #46 of 127 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Hotel staff were excellent. This hotel has private beach and water sports. Cafes and restaurants that we used were good. Close to palace and shopping mall. Stopped here for a rest and not disappointed.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
HiltonAbuDhabiDO, Director of Operations at Hilton Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Dear Ms Savage

Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to write us.

We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for complementing our facilities and the service provided by our team members. Our location is indeed convenient to points of interest, such as Emirates Palace and Marina Mall.

It has been our pleasure to serve you and we look forward to welcome you again during your future travels to Abu Dhabi.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed 5 November 2013

we had the best family holiday out here.The beach bar was beautifully located in the pool and overlooking the beach for a perfect view. the staff were so polite and a big thank you to mr. binod timsina and his team for taking such good care of all our likes.I would also like to thank the executive reception staff who were ever so helpful and special thanks to shahana..The room we had was large and was kept clean at all times by the room service staff.

Room Tip: always book the junior suite with that you get excess to the executive lounge and the room with the...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Rakhee K

Dear Rakhee K,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

We are happy to know you had a pleasant stay and enjoyed the facilities of Hiltonia Beach Club. Thank also for complementing the services rendered by our team members, which I have shared with them immediately.

Glad to have contributed to make your family holiday memorable and we look forward to welcoming you back during your future visits to Abu Dhabi!

Reviewed 31 October 2013

The Hilton in Abu Dhabi offers a great location on the Corniche, as well as some wonderful restaurants. Having eaten many times at Toki, Royal Orchid, and Vascos, I can only offer high marks. The food is always fabulous and the beachside tables of Vascos makes an exceptional evening. The Hotel has an exceptional executive lounge with good food as well. The age of the hotel does show in the elevators and some of the finishing's but this should not deter you. It did help that we had a 3 room suite that was given as an upgrade - Thanks!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
HiltonAbuDhabiDO, Director of Operations at Hilton Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Dear Mr. Nicholas,

Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to post your review on trip advisor.
We are glad to know that you enjoyed our services, amenities, food, and facilities. Thank you for complementing our Executive Lounge. We are indeed one of the first five hotels in Abu Dhabi, but constantly strive for refurbishments and update.

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed 31 October 2013

My wife and I stayed for one night on October 8th. We were looked after very well indeed. The room was excellent, the selection of entertainment was excellent, the beach club was excellent and I can highly recommend the Asian restaurant. Overall a very enjoyable experience and we will return for a longer stay.

Dear Eamonn H,

Thank you for sharing your review about your stay on Trip Advisor.

We are glad to know you and your wife had a pleasant stay. Thank you for your positive comments about Hiltonia Beach Club, our services, and facilities.

We look forward to welcoming you back during your future visits to Abu Dhabi.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

As per other reviews of Hilton hotels; am a fan and endeaviur to stay in a hilton when I can.
As always, good service, rooms large enough and clean but the hotel is dated and could really do with being refurbished (I was told during my recent stay that it is on the cards, soon)
Don't be put off, stay there; the buffet breakfast is very good and will set you up for the day!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Dear Dave F,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

We would like to thank you for your loyalty with the Hilton brand, thank you for complementing the services rendered by our team members, the size of the room and the cleanliness of the hotel.

We are indeed one of the first five hotels in Abu Dhabi but continue to strive for refurbishment and update.

Thank you for your recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you again in the hotel should your future travels bring you back to Abu Dhabi.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed 26 October 2013

I stayed here last week for 6 nights in a simple garden room on a B&B basis. It was a holiday break away from the wet weather back home, on my own. This was my 5th stay since 2008 (last review posted), so it speaks for itself that I have returned several times. However, bear with me, this stay was a huge disappointment for many reasons, namely:

Upon check-in at 4pm, I was informed that my room was not ready. There was no apology, but I was told I could use the beach facilities and return in ‘an hour or so’. How kind. I was given a voucher, valid for that day only, for a free drink but as it was a festive holiday, the Hotel would not serve the drink I wanted, a glass of wine – an empty gesture as it turned out to be. I was offered an ‘upgrade’ to a room on the executive floor but was asked for an additional 300dirhams/night, plus taxes of 16%, for this privilege. Every time in the past, I have actually stayed on this floor but had noticed it’s facilities/benefits had become less generous as each year passed, so in my opinion, is now not worth the extra. In the reservation, I had asked for a quiet room on a high floor. My room overlooked the industrial air conditioning units, so no ‘garden’ was visible but worse, the units ran very noisily all night long so I had to sleep with ear plugs. Coupled with the huge cement ball crashing about from a crane at the building site next door each morning at 7.30am made this aspect of the stay very unpleasant. I did complain but was told ‘no other rooms available’. Each day housekeeping failed to replenish my room correctly with various items, so calls had to be made for coathangers, shampoo, towels, water etc etc. These items were generally of poor quality, certainly not what was expected of a 5* Hotel. I thought generally that the Hotel appeared to be parsimonious and/or penny pinching in this respect by only providing 2 t-bags, x1 conditioner/shampoo, 2 towels etc etc. An inadequate shower over a bath with a curtain is not something one expects at this standard of hotel, which meant the floor often became flooded. Also, the bath was not wide or long enough. There was no heated mirror, so not practical to get ready in there. Overall, the rooms were old, tired, lacked quality facilities and the bathrooms were in dire need of refurbishment.

Breakfast was not up to standard and certainly not 5*. For example, there were only 2 choices of prepared fruit, just 2 choices of bread. Another problem with breakfast was the huge queues for omelettes and general congestion whilst trying to access food. A raised dining level with 3 steps created problems with flow of guests around the circular tables. Many items were served cold to the table (tea) or were found to be cold upon return to table (pancakes, mushrooms, sausages). The pancake machine dispensed pancakes that were left to cool. Juices and other items often ran out and were not replaced in a timely fashion. The restaurant area was too small to service a full complement of guests and the Italian restaurant next door was opened up for overflow most mornings of my stay. That meant an awfully long walk to fetch your breakfast and a real pain if you forgot an extra spoon etc. Summarising, the breakfast was more 3* standard.

One of the things I have previously enjoyed about this Hotel is its location, right on the Corniche, close to Marina Mall with its own private beach, along with an excellent gym and spa. Well, the gym and spa were still excellent, good equipment, instruction and therapists in the spa. However, my biggest bugbear here was the beach and sunloungers. How can a Hotel, which has a duty of care to it’s guests, allow them to struggle dangerously getting in/out of the sea. The beach was strewn with rocks and large stones all over it and was painful and incredibly difficult to walk on. Why the staff couldn’t clear a path, around 2metres wide daily that would enable guests safe entry/exit to swim is beyond me and shows a serious lack of judgement/management. I actually had to keep my flipflops on. Upon arrival at the beach, some days I was helped with an umbrella and some days I wasn’t. The beds were old and need replacing. The cushioning was dirty, tired and smelt. Tables were not wiped down from spilt foodstuffs from the day before and when I looked underneath my sunbed cushion on occasion, I found rubbish and sand – obvious signs they were not cleaned regularly. Lunch was often taken here which was generally of good quality, albeit, sometimes served cold. Overall, a huge disappointment and an area that needs serious attention.

Hemmingways bar attracted the worst kind of clientele - middle aged, bald, western men who’s leery disposition explained why they were alone and deserved to be. The Jazz Club had a very good group (Transit) who performed an array of enjoyable music most nights. The clientele were mixed – by age and also socio economics but I did enjoy a couple of hours on two nights in here be warned, it was quite smoky. So smoky, you had to shower afterwards.

The staff were generally friendly and professional and that is the norm in the Emirates, so I wouldn’t expect anything less. I noticed they didn’t really go above and beyond the call of duty which I feel they had done in previous years. I stayed at Jumeriah Eithad Towers for 3 nights immediately prior to the Hilton and have also posted a review, quite in contrast to this one. Overall, this stay was a disappointment. I spoke to other guests during the week, some returners too and we agreed, we felt short changed over quality and facilities.

Abu Dhabi is forging ahead with state of the art hotels and I’m afraid the Hilton cannot rest on its laurels any longer. Would I stay here again – I’m really not sure.

Room Tip: All rooms are noisy due to location on Corniche.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank hailmaxi
Gregory T, Director of Operations at Hilton Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with The Hilton Abu Dhabi and taking the time to write to us. I greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

I am extremely sorry to hear about your experience during your stay. Your concerns about our facilities were addressed with the concerned department head and actions taken to avoid any future re-occurrences.

We are indeed one of the first 5* hotel in Abu Dhabi and i may assure you that we are constantly working on renovating and improving the hotel facilities. Our rooms will be refurbished next year for example. Regarding your comment about the beach, i fully understand your frustration. For your information, we do beach cleaning exercise on regular basis to remove the stones and major beach project will take place shortly.

I am truly disappointed that we failed to exceed your expectations on this visit and please accept my sincerest apologies. I truly appreciate and thank you for your loyalty with Hilton and assure you that we are completely committed to provide the highest service standards to our guests.

In order to show you our best, i would appreciate if you could contact me directly for any future stay in Abu Dhabi. You will find hereunder my direct email address.

Warm Regards

gregory.thierion@hilton.com
Hilton Abu Dhabi

Reviewed 26 October 2013

I had booked a day stay with my family a few days in advance. I was shocked to see if I had booked the last minute, I would have got a better rate. I requested for an early check in and this was done smoothly without any hassle. I was not happy after i got the room as it was small and had no balcony. It had a small window with a poor view. Requested for a change of room, but was turned down due to non-availability. The recreational facilities in this hotel are good. Clean swimming pools, well equipped gym and a wide choice of spa treatments. We spent most of our time here and were happy with the experience. There is also a wide range of restaurants, bars and night clubs. We decided to have dinner at Vascos. But I moved out half way because the service was not upto the mark. I am an Asian and the Asian waitress felt we did not fit in that place. Finished the rest of my dinner at the pool side restaurant. I spent an hour at the Jazz Bar too. The band was really good and I could see most of guests having a good time out there. Overall as a family we had a good time. I feel the staff require some good training. At many occasions, I noticed they don’t even acknowledge your presence. The facility is old, but well maintained and clean. I canceled my booking with Anantara and chose this place because it had a beach. I will go back only if I get a better deal.

Room Tip: Request for the Garden or Beach view room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Dear Mr. Shankar,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Abu Dhabi and for taking the time to post your review on trip advisor.

I am glad to know that you and your family enjoyed the variety of our food and beverage restaurants, as well as our Hiltonia Beach Club.

I regret to learn that the size of the room along with its view did not meet your expectation. With regards to your experience at Vascos may I request to know what happened that made you decide to leave the restaurant?

Your comments are vital for us in improving our services. Please do not hesitate to contact me at gregory.thierion@hilton.com for your future requirements. We hope to have another opportunity to welcome you in the hotel.