“Pleasently surprised...”

Ranked #42 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
cobham,surrey
“Pleasently surprised...”
Reviewed 2 February 2011

I was in Abu Dhabi for only 1 night and wasnt expecting too much from this hotel. This is not a hotel that will 'wow' you or boast the best 5 star facilities, but for the price I paid it was well worth it.

Check in was quick and was pleased when I got a 5pm late checkout without too much haggling. Rooms were average size and well furnished/equipped although bathroom on the small side was ok just for me.

Had a few drinks in Hemmingways, which is a tex mex bar. This was a bit smokey (coming from a non smoker), but ok and service fine and good/relaxing live band. Didnt try the jazz bar or cinnabar, but pleanty of people were going in there.

The best part of this hotel is the Hiltonia bech club which is just across the road (via a tunnel from hotel). Excellent facilities, health spa, good gym, 2 large pools, (one more family orientated). A few restuarants...Vascos in particular looked good and was packed in the evening and Escape which is more low key and offers reasonably priced snack food during the day.If poolside is not your thing then the beach area was just next to it.

Breakfast was the usual buffet style and although I have had better, you still couldnt fault it with more than enough choice and good quality.

Overall, if you can get a good deal on the net, I would hesitate on staying here again.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
HiltonAbuDhabiDO, Director of Operations at Hilton Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 7 February 2011
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay with us here at Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to read that you had a pleasant stay with us and found our Hiltonia Beach Club to be the best feature of the hotel. As you mentioned, the Beach Club offers a wide range of facilities and services to cater to fitness and recreational requirements of our guests. The club is still one of the largest and most sophisticated in the city of Abu Dhabi.

Thank you for mentioning our Vasco’s and Escape restaurants at the Beach area which are popular outlets for guests and Abu Dhabi residents alike. I have well-noted your comment on the buffet breakfast at our La Terrazza restaurant; we will do our best to keep enough variety and choices for our guests.

Once again, thank you and we look forward to welcoming you again during your next visit to Abu Dhabi.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (482)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2011

Stayed at the Hilton on route to Australia for two nights in January. We had a Executive room overlooking the sea which was nice. Plenty of space and the breakfast and snacks in the Executive lounge were very nice. All the staff were very helpful and friendly. We would recommend Vasco's for dinner it was excellent. Looking forward to staying again at this hotel in March.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
HiltonAbuDhabiDO, Director of Operations at Hilton Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 1 February 2011
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Abu Dhabi during your stop-over to Australia.

I am glad that you liked the food & beverage offerings in our Executive Floor Lounge and you found our staff helpful and friendly. Thank you for your recommendation of our Vasco’s restaurant which is one of the award-winning restaurants in the city.

We look forward to welcome you back on your next stay in March!

Reviewed 22 January 2011

Exciting!! I always shopping mall which is very close by. The Corniche is always full of things to do-whether walking, biking, or jogging. The city always has a major sporting event posted on the Corniche. The hotel is wonderful-staff, food, location & concierge.

• Stayed November 2010
Thank you for choosing the Hilton Abu Dhabi and for taking the time to comment on your stay.

I agree with you that the Corniche Avenue offers an array of interesting activities and buzzing with people especially during the evenings. I am glad you found our hotel to be of convenient location and that you were satisfied with our food offerings and the service of our staff.

Hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon!

Genova, Italia
Reviewed 9 January 2011

I have been in Abu Dhabi recently for end of Year holidays and I chosen the Hotel Hilton because of some positive evaluations that I have read on this internet site.
I can say that I made the right choice !
Ok, the room was not big and very comfortable, (we were in 3, in a normal double room with king size bed, fortunately my son is only 3 years old....) and the prices are not cheap at all (in some Hotel restaurants like BICE and la Terrazza, sometime the prices are not very balanced with quality of food and service) but however, generally speaking the service is very good and also the Marina Beach Club is very well equipped with good beach and swimming pool, and the personnell do the best to be always useful.
The only strange thing that happened, was that I forgot one Biberon on the table at the breakfast restaurant and when I came back, (after some hours), to ask it back, the Hotel personnell told me that they never found a biberon.....it has disappeared mysteriously.......

However, I have been there 8 nights and I felt very very relaxed and I came back with my battery completely charged....then, at the end, the main target of my December holidays has been achieved....

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Thank you for selecting the Hilton Abu Dhabi to spend your year-end holiday.

It is a pleasure to know that you were satisfied with our overall services and that you found our Hiltonia Beach Club to have good facilities and helpful staff.

I have noted your comment regarding the prices of our Bice and La Terrazza restaurants; please rest assured that we always conduct price comparison of restaurants in similar hotels in the city to make sure that our prices are competitive.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and we are happy to have contributed to make your stay relaxing and enjoyable. We hope to welcome you again soon!

Paphos, Cyprus
Reviewed 8 January 2011

I read a couple of reviews before travelling that said staff at hotel not very good. To the contrary we found them all so friendly, helpful and attentive. The hotel is great for kids in that the beach club is just across the road and the shopping mall close by was a bonus as there is a fantastic activity centre and rides for the kids. Hotel pretty tired in part ie. old plastic bath, basin, stained shower curtain (which kept getting blocked). Room was fine - great bed, clean and nice linen. If you not too fussy about the small things then I think this is a good spot to be as its so conveniently located and such helpful friendly staff. Food ok but we only had food at La Terraza restaurant

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank blingbling1017
HiltonAbuDhabiDO, Director of Operations at Hilton Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 26 January 2011
First of all, please allow me to thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Abu Dhabi during your recent visit to the Emirates.

I am glad to note that you and your family were happy with our facilities and services, and that you found our team members to be helpful and friendly. Indeed, the convenient location of the hotel along the Corniche Avenue and with the Marina Mall in the vicinity adds to the accessibility of various services outside the hotel.

With regards to your comment on the condition of the hotel, please be rest assured that we are constantly improving our rooms and other hotel facilities, such as restaurants, meeting rooms and corridors.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and we hope to welcome you again as valued guests should you visit Abu Dhabi in the future.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 1 January 2011

We recently had an extended stay (3 weeks) at the Hilton Abu Dhabi, so our experience might be somewhat different:

We stayed on one of the "Executive" floors, which included access to the Executive Lounge. The room was typical for a Hilton (on the small and outdated side), and had great storage space - we were able to unpack 6 suitcases worth of belongings with no problem. The bathroom was not quite clean when we arrived (chunks of hair in the shower), and it took housekeeping three trips to tidy things up.

The Executive Lounge was "good" - nice view out to the Gulf, although it would have been better if they had enforced the smoking and non-smoking sections. I would also not plan on being able to use the computers (although they do have wi-fi, and a business center downstairs). Breakfast was the same every day, with the only variation being in the potato selection, and we only had two days during our stay in which the eggs or sausages were warm. They do offer a "light lunch", which was usually a variety of small sandwiches, along with afternoon tea, and a cocktail hour. These were all nice options to have, and we really appreciated being able to pop up to the lounge for a beverage at any time of day, although the food was universally terrible.

To the credit of the Executive Lounge, the food in the rest of the hotel is equally mediocre. We ate at every restaurant, multiple times, and had a total of two meals that we could consider "decent" - one at Bice (Italian) and the other at Toki (Japanese). There are many better (and less expensive) restaurants in the area, so this is something Hilton should really address.

The star of this Hilton, as mentioned in other reviews, is the Beach Club. The pools are gorgeous and well maintained, and the staff here is much more diligent than at the hotel itself. The beaches are really pretty, and they do a good job of keeping them clean. You have to walk under the street, and then can enter through either the "Beach Club" or "Health Club" - both sides have Men's and Women's locker rooms. The Fitness Center was lovely as well, and the personal trainers helpful and friendly. We did not take any of the classes, as they were closed when we were there.

Overall, we found the staff to be very polite and friendly, although it would be hard to consider it "5 Star". This is not to say that the service was poor, but small details like valet staff never opening car doors, having to ask for the check at every meal, housekeeping being hit-or-miss, etc. were a bit of a distraction. We would probably stay here again if we were in Abu Dhabi, since the Beach Club is fantastic, and we are addicted to Hilton points, but this hotel definitely has its issues.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Abu Dhabi and for taking the time to write this comment.

I have well-noted your comments regarding our services at the Executive Lounge and the food variety available. Rest assured that these observations have been brought to the attention of relevant department heads.

On the other hand, I am pleased to learn that the Beach Club and its facilities meet with your satisfaction. May I take this opportunity to thank you for your kind compliments on the friendliness and helpfulness of our team members; I will pass on your comments to them.

We are always glad to receive feedback from our guests in order to improve our customer service and standards. We place great value on your patronage to the Hilton and we hope to welcome you again during your next visit to the Emirates.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 6 November 2010

This hotel is just a few minutes away from the Marina Mall (we even walked back to the hotel from the mall with no problems) and in itself seemed like a good and decent hotel, up to international Hilton standards.

The service in this hotel is excellent with the most friendly staff you can imagine, with the exception for the lady who's working in the executive lounge... But it seemed as if she was there before breakfast was served until after the lounge closed, so I can imagine that such working hours do not contribute to a good mood... But anyway, the lounge itself was okay, with nice refreshments throughout the day and a good selection of hot snacks during the evenings. It was never overcrowded and we had a relaxing time in the lounge after long days of sightseeing.

The rooms are not too bad, but for starters the curtains do not fully close; light shines through the sides and there is no normal way to prevent this, other than using your suitcase(s) to clamp the curtains between the wall and your suitcases, and even then a lot of light shines through. The rooms are kind of on the small side, even rooms on the executive floor are smallish and furniture may need a refurbishment. The rooms were clean though and that's what's most important for me...

Then there is the noise... The hotel is very thin-walled and this was a major issue for myself and my travel partners; on more than one occasion we were woken up by children playing in the hall way! Combine this with the lights coming through the curtains and you can imagine that it was very hard to fall asleep again...

Last but not least: the thing that keeps us coming back... The hotel has its own 'Beach Club' just across the street (you can get there safely by using the underpass). This beach club has everything you need for a relaxing 'day at the beach'. They have plenty of pools, a nice beach and a lot of water sport activities. There's also a gym and a spa in the building adjacent to it. The pool is open until late and the restaurant / bar has a decent selection of food. This beach club is an absolute asset to this hotel and without it we would not return to this hotel...

If you really need a good night's rest, find another place to stay (e.g. the Intercontinental Abu Dhabi), but if you don't mind being disturbed in your sleep or getting sun light shining through the curtains early in the morning, go and enjoy the Hiltonia Beach Club!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Stefan H
HiltonAbuDhabiDO, Director of Operations at Hilton Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 25 November 2010
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write this comment.

I would like to thank you for your kind comments regarding the friendliness of our staff and the level of customer service. Indeed, our location is accessible to the Marina Mall as well as easy access to public transport to go around the city. Additionally, I would like to mention our complimentary hotel shuttle bus to the mall as well as to the world-renowned Grand Mosque.

Please rest assured that I personally followed up on the service attitude of one particular colleague from our service crew with the concerned head of department.

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding the curtains. Since we have just refurbished majority of our rooms, we certainly don’t want our guests be faced with such inconveniences.

On a different note, I am glad to learn that you enjoyed our Hiltonia Beach Club facilities during your stay. Our beach club is still the largest and one of the most sophisticated in the city.

Finally, it is good to know that you prefer to stay with us during your next visit and we look forward to welcome you once again.