“Quite A dinner”

Ranked #102 of 2,122 Restaurants in Abu Dhabi
Price range: US$40 - US$140
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Hyatt Capital Gate Abu Dhabi is one of the leading hotels in Abu Dhabi and is located in the iconic Capital Gate building, a Guinness World Records-certified structure which inclines a record-breaking 18 degrees. Capital Gate, also known as the "Leaning Tower of Abu Dhabi," is the focal point of the Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Centre's master development, the largest conference and exhibition venue in the Middle East. Amongst the 5 star hotels in Abu Dhabi, Hyatt Capital Gate presents 189 modern hotel rooms and suites occupying the18th to 33rd floors of the Capital Gate building. The hotel's contemporary design and luxurious styling is complemented throughout with panoramic views from floor-to-ceiling windows. Guests of the hotel enjoy a welcome variety of dining experiences to choose from during their stay, from sweet and savory pastries at Profiterole to delicate Eastern Mediterranean flavours at the hotel's signature award-winning restaurant, 18˚. For informal social and business gatherings, the Pool Bar and Prive are favorites, and the residentially styled Lounge offers an intimate setting for afternoon tea or evening aperos. Within the hotel, four exclusive state-of-the-art salons (boardrooms) are available for meetings and Prive can also transform into a breakout venue for private functions. Abu Dhabi's only spa-in-the-sky experience, Rayana Spa is perched on the 19th floor overlooking the city. The elevated oasis complements the hotel's other wellness amenities which include a fitness centre, suspended outdoor pool and whirlpool. Hyatt Capital Gate, hotel Abu Dhabi is strategically located within walking distance of the UAE capital's embassy and government district. It is less than a ten-minute drive from the UAE Armed Forces General Headquarters (GHQ) and the twofour54 Abu Dhabi Media Zone. A convenient choice of airport hotel in Abu Dhabi, the Capital Gate hotel is just a 15-minute limousine or taxi ride away from the international airport.
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Hearing positive feedback from my sister and her husband about the restaurant we decided on Saturday night to go there and celebrate my brother in laws 30th birthday.
I booked a table on the terrace, as well I advised that we have a celebration.

Upon arrival we where friendly greeted by the hostess( eastern European I think) who shortly guided us to our table on the terrace, it was the last corner one, which we thought was great as it gave us some privacy and a fantastic view.

Menus arrived quickly and the waiter disappeared for a while, he came back to take our beverage order which included a glass of house white wine, a ice tea strawberry and a non alcoholic bloody mary as well a bottle of sparkling water.
It took 10 min for the water to arrive, another 10 min for the mocktails ( after we asked twice for it) and another view minutes till my wine arrived.

The bloody mary, was described in the menu as tomato juice, with tabasco, Worchester sauce and celery, the way everyone knows a bloody mary is done ( just without the vodka in this case) arrived: tomato juice with ice.
We flagged down a waiter and explained the issue, she than took the drink back, and came shortly after saying that it will take some time to get the drink re done and if she could replace it with something else... that's kind of very poor, my sister than decided out of disappointment and not understanding what could possible take to mix those ingredients together shake them and serve.

Bread was served meanwhile and a, I think supervisor came along to apologize about the drink issue.
She than took our order.

We took 3 started and 3 mains
Pita with spinach and sucuk
Pine nut falafel
Chicken liver

2 beef tenderloin: described: Beef Tenderloin, Pistachio Pepper Crust, Olives, Pomegranate Glaze 240 AED
Venison Loin, Wild Mushrooms, Juniper Red Wine Sauce 180 AED

I ordered the beef tenderloin with roasted potatoes as a simple piece of meat would have not been enough for me.

The waitress ( supervisor) advised that the PITA is quite a portion, which was okay with us.
Left me curious though how a round piece of bread could be quite a portion.

Starters arrived quite quickly and I was surprised to see that the PITA wasn't a PITA it was PIDE a traditional Turkish bakery in a kind of oval size( kind like pizza)
My liver was good and falafel were okay.

Bigger disappointment happened with our main courses.
I was surprised when the dishes arrived as all 3 had mashed potato (not mention anywhere in the menu, nor from the waitress)
Food was just warm which was okay for me and my brother in law( as we simply didn't want to wait anymore for anything), but my sister venison was not even warm, so she flagged down the waitress again, explained herself and the plate went back, with the comment, it will take some time to get it warmed.

Sitting with my view towards restaurant, finally the manager took part in our misery, the chef took the meat straight back and put it on the grill or pan, couldnt see exactly,to warm it up ( was also ordered medium, but was more likely medium rare, so that was fine to get also the doneness closer)
Manager than was the one who brought the plate back and to whom I'm explained our misery of the day.
Who apologized and said he did hear about the drink issue ( curious why he didn't made his way earlier than)
As I mentioned to him that after hearing great comments about the restaurant and the food I am quite shocked, especially because we decided to celebrate a quite 30th birthday.

At the end he made it up with some complimentary dessert sharing platter and some cake with happy birthday written.

To be mentioned, restaurant was not busy, 4 tables at the terrace and 3-4 inside.

At this stage I would not recommend the restaurant to my friends or co workers.

Further I suggest the chef to go through his menu as well on your homepage there is a different menu published.

1  Thank UAE_Foodie
Wolfgang I, Assistant Director of Food & Beverage at 18 Degrees, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Dear valued reviewer,

First of all I would like to thank you for joining us for dinner at 18 Degrees and for sharing your comments.

I regret to see that we were not able to meet your expectations, even more so for such a special event. Please know that this is not the general kind of service experience we thrive to deliver to our guests.

We have carefully reviewd all your comments and have put action in place where needed in order to avoid any similar experiences in the future.

I hope, nevertheless, we will be able to welcome to 18 Degrees at Hyatt Capital Gate to provide you with a service experience worthy of our reputation.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Its a beautiful setting; pretty dark, with a show kitchen in the center and gorgeous views over the city and the sea.
Food was less than satisfactory. Expensive with no sides. Sides are charged DHs 30. My lamb shank was ice cold; it took 25 minutes to have it warmed up and my dining buddy has finished by then. Not what I expect from an upmarket restaurant charging that amount of $$$.

1  Thank AngmohofArabia
Wolfgang I, Assistant Director of Food @ Beverage at 18 Degrees, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear valued reviewer,

First of all I would like to thank you for dining with us at 18 Degrees. I am truly sorry to hear that you did not have the dining experience that you were hoping for and I understand that the given scenario was below your as well as our own expectations. Please know that I will discuss all the mentioned points with our team and will put corrective action in place where required. I also would like to thank you for sharing your feedback as this will help us to constantly improve our customer service and overall dining experience. Nevertheless, I hope that we will be able to welcome you back at 18 Degrees another time in order to privede you with a dining experience we thrive to offer to all our guests.

Reviewed 18 March 2014

As hotel restaurants go, 18 Degrees isn’t bad. Named after the fact the building leans 18 degrees, the view is incredible and the wait staff friendly. However, we had several waiters working our table and they didn’t always seem coordinated. For example, one person would take our drink order and a few minutes later someone else would come by and ask if we’d like anything to drink. I guess having more people care is better than the opposite, but we thought there could have been a little better coordination amongst the staff.

The food is eclectic with the menu divided up into an Italian section, Greek section, various Middle Eastern sections, etc. We thought there could have been a slightly wider choice of selections, but the dishes are executed well. The slow cooked duck legs are excellent and recommended if you like duck.

Wolfgang I, Assistant Director of Food & Beverage at 18 Degrees, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Dear valued Reviewer,

Thank you very much for dining with us at 18 Degrees and for sharing your feedback. I am happy that you had a good time and enjoyed your meal.

I will certainly pick up your comments regarding service coordination and menu variety with the respective teams and put corrective action in place where required.

Again, I would like to thank you for visiting us and for sharing your comments as it gives us a valuable platform to evaluate ourselves and constantly improve our customer service.

We hope to have you back to 18 Degrees at Hyatt Capital Gate Abu Dhabi soon.

Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

I ate here yesterday and the food was fantastic. The lobster ravioli was great and the wine selection was superb. Sit on the balcony if the weather is cooperative because I cannot recall a better terrace and view. I will definitely be back when I back in town.

Wolfgang I, Assistant Director of Food & Beverage at 18 Degrees, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Dear valued Reviewer,

Thank you very much for dining with us at 18 Degrees. I am very glad to hear that you had a joyful dinner with us. Thank you very much for sharing your feedback, I will ensure to pass it on to our team.

We are looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

The UAE is nothing but good at collecting the world most...., the worlds tallest building, the worlds tallest lived in building, the world tallest twisting building, the world roundest building, well here we have the worlds most leaniest building, I know it isn't a word, but go to the grand Hyatt and 18 degrees and you will then use it.
18 degrees is the perfect restaurant for such a place, it has food from 5 countries and will surprise you with delights from all of them. When I have visitors to the UAE my big splash at the end of a visit is either Emirates palace or here or for my family both. To be considered at the same level as emirates palace is as high a compliment as I can give. There is one difference, the price. 18 degrees is not your oh I don't know what to do on a Wednesday price, it is for special occasions, but they don't have to be that special, let's say it is a Thursday night, that is enough. Great place great view and food and serviceto match.

GM_Stefan_Gaessler, General Manager at 18 Degrees, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Dear Jonathan

Thank you for dining with us at 18 degrees. i am very pleased to read you have enjoyed your time with us, enjoying the food and service provided.

We would hope to welcome you back on many more future occasions, it would be a pleasure to be of your assistance in making any arrangements.

Sincerely and with kind regards

Stefan Gaessler