“RELAXING STAY”

The Ritz-Carlton Abu Dhabi, Grand Canal
Ranked #29 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Ritz Carlton is a very nice hotel. When we arrived, we immediately saw how nice the landscaping is. The atmosphere is quiet and the view is very nice. The lobby is also beautiful. The room is elegant and spacious and come with very comfortable beds and pillows that gave us a good night sleep.
The food is delicious and we really enjoyed the food buffet because it offers a wide variety of international dishes. Anyone from any nationality will find dishes that will suit his taste. The staff service is very good and they are efficient and friendly.
The swimming pool is really huge and there is one area which is very safe for children. My kids enjoyed the kids club which kept them busy & entertained with a lot of activities. Overall, we had a quiet, enjoyable and relaxing stay and will surely return there.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,073)

Reviewed 27 May 2013

Have to do Abu Dhabi due to mandatory layovers here so I'd try the newest Ritz Carlton. From check-in last night at 10pm to this morning there were nonstop fire alarms and sirens. Unfortunately, at no time did the hotel make announcements to tell us that this was something they were fixing, so at all hours of night the guests were opening doors to see the ruckus and calling front desk. At no time did the hotel put apologetic, explanatory letters under the doors. In my room there was a note w/candies, flowers, and fruit addressed to Mr Davis. This is a very sweet gesture, but I am not Mr. Davis. I took this to the front desk (another 10 minute walk each way) and they said "sorry for that," but no explanation or anything else came of this awkward moment. Pedro checked me in and said that internet was billable, but then after I said "look at my Marriott gold status," he said it would be included. A hotel should know its guests BEFORE they have to ask. The girl from Romania who escorted me to my room was telling me en route all of the reasons why Greece (where I live) is so much better than Abu Dhabi, but hearing such negativity on my first interaction in this country was a downer on the long walk to my room. She also told me that the only place to get a glass of wine was in the smoking cigar bar which was smelly and warm (no aircon) so I went to the Giornotte and DID find wine much to my surprise. The service there was inattentive: one male server brought the menus, another the wine, another the mezze, and nobody ever checked if I was okay until I had to flag someone down for the bill. No service at all. The coffee maker in the room did not work. I rang before bed to request a callback for internet assistance, and after 30 minutes no call came, so I rang Operator to say I was retiring and not wished to be disturbed. I requested a wake-up call and NO foliow-up wakeup call and I got BOTH at 0630. I booked this hotel more than anything for a great night sleep in my short stay and had firealarms all night, no apologies, and am leaving exhausted. I will rebook the ShangriLa for my return overnight.

Room Tip: get a quiet room if you can try
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank globaltravelkid
Reviewed 25 May 2013

Whilst I didn't stay at the hotel (I only eat in its superb Giornotte restaurant) I did do a site inspection and saw a standard room, a suite and a villa and I know where I would stay on a special occasion.

The pool/lagoon is the biggest in the middle east and is very child friendly.

For 150 AED or 40U$D at current exchange rates enjoy a magnificent buffet in the Giornotte restaurant served by amazingingly friendly staff who anticipate your every need.

As it was still fairly mild I sat out and enjoyed wonderful garden views.

The hotel has a southern European feel with Arabic touches similar to the architecture that the Moors left behind in southern Spain for those who know their history.

Room Tip: Book a villa they are worth it if you are travelling with your family.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 May 2013

My husband and I are both teachers, so a night at a luxury hotel is an indulgence we only allow ourselves once a year. When we checked in with our two children, we had high expectations, as we had stayed at the Ritz-Carlton in Dubai and had nothing but compliments for the hotel and its staff. This time, however, though the visit started well enough at reception, it quickly went downhill.
When we were brought to our room, I noticed our carpet was stained -- surprising for brand-new luxury hotel. I didn’t complain, however, because it was a small thing and I wanted to make the most of our limited time at the hotel. But later, my son also found a black hair in his bed and I noticed that the shelves in the bathroom were dusty. We also discovered that there was no hot water in the sink and though the thermostat read 20 C, we had to sleep on top of the covers, we were so hot.
While the pool and surrounding area were well-taken care of, we were not. We were at the pool for 3 hours that afternoon and four the next morning, but after the initial lounge-chair set up, we were not approached once with a food or drink menu, let alone any other amenities that we have experienced at other 5-star resorts, such as chilled face-cloths, fresh fruit, etc. It wasn’t busy at all, but we were forced to chase down a waiter, who then messed up our order, delivering food we specifically requested be delivered to the kids club to us, poolside.
As for the kids’ club, though the staff seemed kind and friendly, it was sadly under-resourced (few games, toys, activities) compared to other kids’ clubs we have experienced, such as the one at the St. Regis, Sadiyat Island.
On a general note, the food and service in both Giornette and Al Fresco was below-average to average. Throughout the hotel, the facilities seemed understaffed, the staff under-trained or both. And to risk sounding snooty, they were a bit too familiar. Friendliness is good, but I don’t need to know the (completely unsolicited) life story of the doorman or the waiter. It was if they were told “Be friendly”, but didn’t quite know how to apply it in a professional setting.
Finally, when we were checking out , not only were we given a bill which included items from the mini-bar which we didn’t consume, we were also billed for our breakfast, which was included in our room rate. Though the clerk quickly fixed the bill, it was just one more thing in a long list and was not a good final impression of the Ritz-Carlton.
Even if I were staying at the Holiday Inn, things like a dirty room with malfunctioning plumbing and AC would be unacceptable, but when I’m paying over $300 US a night? Luxury hotels are a dime a dozen in Abu Dhabi. Next year, we won’t waste our money at the Ritz.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank UAEmum
Reviewed 23 May 2013

The Ritz Carlton name has been brought to new heights showing that the brand is in the top of its class when it comes to style, elegance and service. Nothing about this hotel is ordinary, driving through the grand arch entrance, into the triple story hall with three giant chandeliers, guests can’t help but stop in awe of the stunning view of the Grand Mosque, especially at sunset.

Check in is done smoothly, with a royal yet warming welcome from the staff. Greeted with dates, fresh towels and refreshing teas, you are then swept away to your room or villa, where a wonderful turn-down service has been executed. Offering sumptuous views all throughout the hotel, you can relax and enjoy an amazing experience, with an “above and beyond” service from the friendly, efficient team working at the hotel. The Ritz Calrton Abu Dhabi might be a magnificient hotel, what makes it stand our is its staff. Always going a step further and trying to impress guests, the service is what makes this hotel truly unique, and the ideal place to stay at when visiting Abu Dhabi. The only regret you will have is to leave the hotel, leaving you wanting to return year and year and making it you “home away from home”.

I was amazed and left wanting nothing by the time I had by this hotel and I shall definitely be returning (year on year if possible

Room Tip: Book the restaurants in advance, they fill up most nights, especially weekends. The hotel faces Eas...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2013 via mobile

This is a very new hotel. Great pool area overlooking the canal - rooms good quality although a little smaller than I would have expected for this class of hotel.

I am sure the hotel will be a good one given time to sort out the teething issues. A few problems exist :-

- lights that you cannot turn off
- drainage smells in the bathroom
- some rooms struggle with hot water

was a little concerned that when I pointed out these problems the reception staff didn't even pretend to make a note. Tough luck for the next guest I guess!

Anyway - overall will be a nice hotel - give them 6 months first to sort themselves out.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 18 May 2013

we stayed in the hotel for two nights for a conference. The impressive lobby and the first impressions were superb, but the service had some gaps. Taken into account that the hotel opened in March, the personal had to be trained properly. That might be solved over time. The service attitude shall be improved as soon as possible, i.e. delivery time for inroom service was an hour, room cleaning after 4pm, and so on. A 5 star hotel should not have this kind of issues. Again, nothing that cant be fixed. Good luck with the improvements.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business