“Giornotte restaurant is excellent, highly recommended”

The Ritz-Carlton Abu Dhabi, Grand Canal
Ranked #29 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 23 April 2014

While in Abu Dhabi for Easter, visited Giornotte restaurant in the Ritz Carlton. We weren't staying in the hotel, we stayed in one close by but decided to go for dinner one night and it so good we went back the following night. The first time we had the a la carte menu, food was excellent, extensive wine and cocktail list and great value for money. For 3 of us on 2 courses each and a bottle of cava it was about £160.
Service was excellent and Sumit, our waiter, was very attentive and couldn't do enough for us.
The restaurant also has a buffet option and Sumit was good enough to give us a tour of the buffet. Have to say it wasn't like any other buffet I've seen, with a vast choice of soup, salad, local dishes, seafood (including some great looking mussels and langoustines), meat, chicken, veg and all kinds of desserts. It looked that good we booked for the following evening and wasn't disappointed. It was some of the best food I've had and was on a par with the a la carte from the previous night, and still great value for money.
All in all we had two fantastic meals and would definitely recommend whether you're a hotel guest or not. It's a good idea to make a reservation especially if you want an outside table on the terrace, which gives you a great atmosphere overlooking the hotel gardens.
Great food, great service and thanks to Sumit for looking after us

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,073)

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Stayed at this reasonably imposing hotel for a week at the beginning of April 2014. Innumerable comments on this site concerning the fact the hotel only opened just over a year ago.
In our experience, this did not detract from a consistently high level of service throughout our stay. The hotel does, however, lack a certain charm which is probably attributable to a combination of its size, newness, location and style.
We had club level accommodation which was good (not exceptional) and access to the club lounge which was worthwhile. There were a number of positives to our stay, including; the abundance of good quality sunbeds around the pool, extremely high levels of cleanliness throughout the entire hotel, excellent customer service in all respects and some exceptional dining experiences in The Forge (steakhouse) and Li Jiang (Asian cuisine). Lunch at Al Fresco was also good. The spa is also worth a visit, great massage and very reasonably priced.
There were two main aspects to our stay that spolit it and would stop us from returning. Firstly, the disproportionate number of young, noisy children around the pool all day, every day. Whilst the pool is of a good size, there is no attempt at any form of segregation to provide an adults only area. The cabnal, with fast flowing water (at least when we were there is not a suitable substitute). Secondly, the adverse impact the size of some of the business conferences have on holidaymakers. Towards the end of our stay a delegation of circa 400 arrived. This meant at breakfast we were pushed right out to an outlying table which made us feel very much like second class guests.
We visited 'downtown' Abu Dhabi one evening. A twenty minute (cheap) taxi ride away and enjoyed an evening in the Etihad Tower, drinks 62 floors up at Ray's Bar was great, followed by a superb buffet meal at Rosewater (part of the Jumeirah Hotel there).
Overall, we did enjoy our stay and are glad we visited Abu Dhabi. However, I cannot see us returning to this particular Ritz-Carlton hotel anytime soon. Finally, make sure you check your bill upon departure. We were half board and would have been overcharged had we not scrutinised an itemised bill. The Club Lounge staff rectified painlessly and attributed the error to software.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank S1mpleM1nd
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Me and my hubby visited The Ritz Carlton few months ago. My hubby made for me birthday surprise and took me to this fabulous hotel for a weekend. We spent lot of time at the pool, that was so relaxing. The pool is really huge, so you feel like swimming in the sea. The recreation area is in excellent condition, that really allows you to relax and forget about everything.

After chilling at the pool, we came to Dolce.. cute, colorful cozy café, that offers great choice of yummy desserts, ice creams, coffee, tea and plenty of delicacies.

The staff was just amazing, so attentive and caring about us, they showed us high level of service. Surprisingly, they brought me birthday cake with my name on it and candle.All the guys started singing for me "Happy Birthday", while I was blowing the candles.. That was so unexpected and pleasant, just can't express my feelings!!! I would strongly recommend Ritz Carlton in Abu Dhabi for short break romantic getaway.. Now Dolce became my favorite))) Thank you so much!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Ritz-CarltonADGC, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Abu Dhabi, Grand Canal, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

On behalf of the entire team of ladies and gentlemen from The Ritz-Calton Abu Dhabi, thank you for such a lovely review.

It was an honor to host your Birthday and that you gave us the chance to celebrate it with you, and we are so glad to know you enjoyed your stay and we are looking forward to welcome you in a near future.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We did not book this hotel but were moved at the last minute by the Fairmont Bab Al Bar (our chosen hotel) due to a last minute government conference as were other guests.

First impressions were good but we were rather surprised to have a hotel themed on a Venetian palace rather than a hotel rich with art and culture from the Middle East. Check in was quick but then we arrived at 10pm so our room was ready and waiting, the 1st room we were shown smelled strongly of cigarette smoke so we asked to be moved, the 2nd room had a funny smell but we put it down to being shut up and decided to stay. We lasted 1 night in this room as I soon realised the smell was vomit and the patch on the carpet gave away the location, I sniffed the carpet and it was disgusting. Guests should not have been put in this room! This was reported to reception and they sent cleaning staff to sort the problem, it didn't work so we had to request another room change and had to repack cases etc to move again. The 3rd room was fine but we were already 2 days into our holiday so not the most relaxing start and not a word of apology from the manager or a gesture of goodwill i.e. a complimentary drink!

The pool area and man made beach are nice and are typical of any Ritz Carlton. The problem we had was the amount of children running around, jumping into the pool, screaming etc and it reinforces the reason why as a family, we stay away from such big hotels with kids clubs. We spent time at the beach as it was quieter here than near the very crowded pool. We understood it was the run up to Easter holidays so it was something we had to put up with. If you have stayed at the Al Bustan Palace or Al Husn in Muscat you would understand our disappointments with the style and gardens at this hotel.

Next point is the restaurants. The pool snack bar is good for lunch and Gloria is so helpful and kind, the buffet restaurant is good but we opted for a la carte breakfasts and on our fist evening my husband wanted a light meal, thanks to Danesh for contacting the chef at 11pm to cook a special meal, fantastic guy and an asset to the hotel. Last but not least I must mention Nithin in the main restaurant who was also most helpful. The steak restaurant is lovely and the quality of the food superb.

We had a lovely holiday but we wouldn't go back to the Ritz Carlton as there are better hotels in the area.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Ritz-CarltonADGC, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Abu Dhabi, Grand Canal, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time and share your experience during your recent stay with us

I sincerely regret that we did not manage to meet your expectations, on behalf of the entire team of ladies and gentlemen receive our most sincere apologies.

We are currently looking into the concerns you mentioned and will help us to improve, and we have put an action plan with my management team

Gloria Nithin and Danesh send regards and they proudly shared with the rest of the team your kind words

I wish In a near future you give us a chance to regain your trust back again in our brand, I'd like to know if you can send me your contact details to rc.auhrz.exec.office@ritzcarlton.com

looking forward to hearing from you

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We traveled for a wedding. The location is great - on the creek and opposite the grand mosque. Breakfast is very lavish and excellent. The pool is HUGE. Nice bar next to the lobby. I'd stay here again if in Abu Dhabi.

Room Tip: The rooms with a balcony are good if you're a smoker.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Thanks for taking the time to review the Hotel . We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay and would love to welcome you back here on your next visit.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel on Thursday night 17 April 2014. It was our first time staying with this chain and we were there for a company function being held that night in the hotel. My company had booked 20 rooms for employees attending the function. There are some very nice aspects of this hotel but there were 3 aspects that left us surprised and disappointed with the overall experience.

1. Check In
We checked in at 4pm (official check-in time is 3pm) and we were told that our room was not available as it had not been cleaned. One of my colleagues saw me in reception and said he had checked in at 3pm and was still waiting for his room. The check-in clerk said she would take my mobile number and call me when our room was ready. I asked if there was a bar or other area we could wait in and was told that the bar did not open until 5pm but I could wait in the reception area. I then asked if there anywhere we could get refreshments and was directed to the coffee lounge. In the lounge a server saw our bags and asked if we were waiting for our room. He said that the hotel had been full for the last month and the hotel was having enormous trouble getting the rooms ready for new guests, and that guests waiting with their bags had become a common sight.

At 6pm I had received no call and went back to reception. I explained that we were attending a function in the hotel and needed somewhere to get ready. This caused a mild panic behind the counter and after 15 minutes I was told that although our room was still not ready, we would be assigned another room that had just been cleaned. So by 6:30pm we were in a room and able to get ready for the function. We were surprised that no manager had engaged with us at all during the process to apologise or offer a complimentary juice or coffee and had left it to junior desk staff to deal with us and all the other guests waiting for their rooms.

2. Cleanliness
We went into our room just as the cleaners were coming out. They were clearly in a rush and had dropped plastic wrappers and a coat hanger in the hallway, which we passed as we were shown to our room at 6:15pm. When we left our room an hour later for the function, they were still there. When we returned to our room after the function they were still there, as they were when we went to breakfast the next morning and as they still were when checked out at 11am. They were not particularly unpleasant pieces of rubbish, but this highlighted that no manager had walked that hall to inspect it for the duration of our stay, which I found surprising for a 5 star hotel.

3. Bar
After the function, my wife and I went with two of my colleagues and their wives to the bar. We arrived at midnight and asked if the bar was still open and were told it stayed open until 1am. We ordered drinks and sat down at a table to enjoy what is a very pleasant atmosphere in the bar. There were two other tables occupied in the bar so things were quiet and relaxed. At 12:30am a waitress walked to our table, picked up the 2 candles on the tables and blew them out. When we asked what was happening she said that last orders had been taken at the bar. We said we wished we had known as we would have ordered more drinks. She told us it was too late as the electronic billing system had been shut down. We asked if we could pay cash. With a display a real attitude, she said we could. I should stress we were not rude or unpleasant and were very surprised at the hostility of her reaction. We were served another round of drinks (with poor grace). At 12:50pm she turned off the music, turned the lights up to full brightness and then went and stood by the door waiting for everyone to leave. I have seen this approach in rowdy pubs in various parts of the world but in a quiet bar in the Ritz?

Conclusion
There were positive aspects of the stay. The breakfast was excellent and the pool is very nice. The staff in the breakfast restaurant and at the pool were very good. However, overall it looks like this hotel is not coping with being full. I suspect the staff (especially the check-in staff and cleaning staff) are bearing the brunt of this on a daily basis and are finding it tough. This is a real failure of management of the hotel. Regrettably, my first stay at a Ritz Carlton Abu Dhabi will be my last. There are too many good hotels out there doing it much better.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank OZZIEExpat2014
Ritz-CarltonADGC, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Abu Dhabi, Grand Canal, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time and share with us your experience during your recent stay, I personally take your feedback very seriously and will immediately address with the Executive Management Team in order to resolve this issues.

As your convenience kindly send me your contact details to rc.auhrz.exec.office@rizcarlton.com as I would really like to discuss this matter further.

looking forward to be hearing from you

Reviewed 19 April 2014

We didn't book this hotel, so what a wonderful surprise. Everything you need is provided in the room and more. The pool is magnificent, looking out onto the man made beach, with plenty of umbrellas two large fluffy towels on each padded sunbed.
The food is just divine and so much to choose from over a buffet style breakfast.
The staff are helpful and welcoming and the whole place is immaculate, just what you would expect from a 5* hotel. As we were in this hotel due to the overbooking from our original hotel we used the Concierge services a lot to sort out various issues (Melissa, Anastasia and Coen) were excellent at sorting out problems and recommending. Kumar the doorman became our sons best friend and made some fun whilst we were being helped.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your postive comment on our rooms. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our beach facilities and the breakfast buffet.
We have a great Concierge and Bellman team and will share your wonderful feedback with the rest of the team.

We hope to welcome you soon again to our resort.

Warm Regards,