“Loved it!”

The Ritz-Carlton Abu Dhabi, Grand Canal
Ranked #29 of 129 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
“Loved it!”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I was there with my husband last week and we loved the hotel. The breakfast buffet was elaborate & delicious, the service was attentive & friendly, and the front desk saved the day by letting my husband borrow a converter for his computer (ours broke) for his important on-site business meeting. The concierge helped us plan a wonderful jeep excursion. Would recommend this hotel!

• Stayed April 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
York
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We have recently returned from an 8 night stay at the Ritz Carlton Abu Dhabi - wow, where do I begin.

My husband booked our stay as a surprise for my birthday & our wedding anniversary. Before we left the UK he contacted the hotel explaining it was a special occasion. The General Managers Exec Assistant Martha van Rooyen emailed back immediately wishing us a safe journey and assuring him that they had taken note of his request, high floor, pool facing, quiet room etc which was comforting to know.

Upon landing the trip from the airport to the hotel was a pleasant 20 minute drive along palm lined avenues. The approach to the hotel was spectacular, the hotel is situated across from the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque which makes the location special.

Upon entering the hotel lobby which is stunning, think lots of marble, fresh flower arrangements on a large scale, crystal chandeliers, beautiful furniture and ornaments - oh and dates & jars of sweets to nibble on. Our cases were taken & we were quickly whisked in an elevator to Club Level which we had pre booked to complete check in and offered a glass of champagne by Anna, club level manager. Anna was expecting us, she efficiently completed our check in paperwork and took us to our room which was actually a suite. The suite was stunning, an entrance hall with a small bathroom, a lounge with quality furnishings, TV and a large balcony then into the bedroom with a second balcony, another TV marble floors throughout and beautiful rugs. We had a walk in wardrobe and a very big bathroom with standalone bath tub, separate WC, walk in shower and 2 sinks and very nice branded toiletries. Our suite was on the 6th floor, pool, beach & canal facing with great views. We had housekeeping twice daily, AM and then turndown service, Sonnett our room boy kept everything immaculate & well replenished daily. We always had treats appearing in the room from chocolates to dates to delicious macaroons.
Should we have had cause to telephone housekeeping for example for extra coat hangers, they responded immediately & provided a great service.

The first morning we took breakfast in the main restaurant Giornotte, there was a vast choice of any breakfast item you desired, staff were plentiful attending to guests requirements. When we next visited the Club Level we were told to try breakfast there which we did the following day. They had the same choice even down to the fresh coconuts which contained coconut water which I devoured daily and freshly squeezed juices decanted into cute round bottles. The egg chef was great conjuring up eggs any style you preferred.

When we arrived it was Easter & the the hotel was 98% occupancy but it did not feel at all crowded. Down by the pool & beach there were plenty of sunbeds to choose from, the pool guys were great, Rafiq looked after us during our stay with a constant smile on his face, setting up our beds, me in the shade my husband in the sun, there was a constant supply of bottled water served in ice buckets, fresh fruit on sticks, iced lollies & iced towes - all complementary. The pool was large with shade at one end, large sails over it which was good for children. The gardens were really nice filled with shrubs & flowers all well tended to. It was all very appealing on the eye.

There were some lovely restaurants to dine at, we ate at Li Jiang twice which was Asian/Chinese and Mijana which was Arabic. The décor in both were stunning and the food lovely. Li Jiang has a resident DJ playing chill out/lounge music, not too loud I hasten to add and Mijana had an outdoor terrace where we chose to eat with the Arabic sheesha thing going on. We actually went to Li Jiang on our wedding anniversary and Anna had arranged a lovely table with a view of the mosque, complementary drinks upon arrival and a lovely chocolate desert to finish.

We also visited the Spa, we had a most relaxing afternoon. We arrived an hour earlier before treatments started. Ladies and gentlemen are separated. Both have a chill out room with iced minted water, nuts, dates, an outdoor garden with a plunge pool and loungers and a private beach. My husband had a traditional Hammam Ritual to start which is a relaxing body scrub on hot stones and we both had a wonderful 90 minute massage which was heaven, well worth every penny & most reasonably priced.

We visited the mosque one morning, the hotel runs a regular shuttle service, we went first thing before the crowds. Take ID such as a passport to gain entry which is actually free, gentlemen wear long trousers and a long sleeved shirt and ladies cover up completely, no tight fitting clothes and take a headscarf. I didn't have a headscarf to take, forgot my ID and was nearly turned away. Then they decided to let me in & sent me underground to the garage to a wardrobe where I was given full muslim dress to wear but it was an experience I will never forget & the photos are great. Seeing the mosque is believing, it is the most beautiful manmade thing I have ever seen in my life, all white marble, inlaid flowers, fountains and crystal Chandeliers, breathtaking.

The hotel also runs a complementary boat shuttle service from the jetty each evening to get you across the canal to the souk, the Fairmont & the Shangri La hotel. It's a great idea, we had a lovely Italian meal at Marco Pierre White & Frankie Dettori's Italian at the Fairmont, a nice Indian meal at the souk and a very nice Vietnamese meal at the Shangri La. The Shangri La has a great chill out bar with a DJ spinning his tunes Wednesday to Sunday, it's called Pearls & Caviar and overlooks the canal & mosque making it have a really exotic feel. However, it was always lovely to jump back on the boat and get back to the opulence of the Ritz.

We did get out and about in Abu Dhabi, taxis are so cheap. Abu Dhabi has a very different vibe to Dubai, it is very serene but upscale too. We went to shopping malls, other hotels for dinner & drinks such as the Jumeirah Ethiad Towers and The Emirates Palace but nowhere compared to the Ritz Carlton.

Now back to Club Level that we booked as an extra. It was absolutely fantastic and worth every penny. Like I have already said, we took breakfast in there, you could also have light lunch, then afternoon tea, nibbles & canapés, cheese & biscuits early evening followed by deserts & chocolates later and any alcohol, cocktail or soft drink you wanted at any time of day. The setting was lovely, on the 7th floor overlooking the pool and canal with very nice décor. Club Level staff were amazing each & every one of them, special thanks again to Anna & also Oscar who were so helpful, friendly and informative making dinner suggestions & reservations, you really did go that extra mile to ensure we had a wonderful stay - thank you.

All in all we could not fault our stay. The people that Pep Lorenzo - General Manager has working for him are an absolute credit to both himself and the brand. They seem genuinely happy in their work and it makes for a great guest experience. A final great big thank you must go to Martha along with Anna for making it all happen, thank you ladies.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Parissandals
Klagenfurt, Austria
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Had a business trip to Abu Dhabi and stayed in the Ritz Carlton.
The room was excellent, everything 5 star – Apple Docking Station, Blue Ray Player, Nespresso, etc.
Room was clean, good size and comfortable bed.
Service all over the hotel is excellent (doesn’t matter if you are in restaurant, lobby or at the pool) and the breakfast had big choice.
I liked to stay at the pool and get served there, water of the “sea” is nothing special – stay at the pool.

Hotel is a not in the center, but taxi is not expensive. Across the street is the great mosque which is a must to visit.

Overall I had a really good stay and can recommend it without objections.

Room Tip: I liked my room on a high floor with look on the pool
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Stayed here for 4-nights with a group and we had a meeting here as well. The hotel - amazing. The meeting - amazing. Staff is excellent and took very good care of us. Very professional and accommodating. I dined at two of the onsite restaurants (Mijana and Li Jiang) and they were both very good. Breakfast is more than enough and has options for every taste. They will even make waffles and pancakes on request. Had lunch by the pool one day and the salad was very good. Also had ice cream from the ice cream shop and it was delicious. Our meeting was also very good. Coffee Breaks were great and the lunch buffet was very good. Everything was on time and the room was very nice. As for the property itself, my room was very nice. Had everything I needed. It is a huge property and very spread out. The lobby is beautiful and massive. I had quite a walk to get to my room and it was a little complicated to find. Once you get the logistics down you are good to go. My only complaint was my room was located directly about one of the restaurants that had nightly music and it played until 11pm. The first night it bugged me a bit the next few nights it was actually kind of relaxing and might have helped me get to sleep. But if you are a quiet sleeper you wouldn't like it. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: If you don't like music at night, make sure you aren't located above the Mijana Restaurant.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Ritz-CarltonADGC, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Abu Dhabi, Grand Canal, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
We are so happy to know that you found the hotel up to your expectations and that our ladies and gentlemen create an enjoyable time during your stay, thank you for letting us know about the smell coming from the restaurant an immediate action plan is in place to fix that and to ensure it will not happen again, we look forward to welcome you again soon.

leeds
Reviewed 4 May 2014

stayed in the club level 2 adults and a teenage daughter just prior to easter the club level was a sophisticated and elegant top floor area with fantastic views offered breakfast lunch afternoon tea pre dinner nibbles and chocolate hour also alcoholic beverage inc. cocktails and champagne. the staff in the club were amazing nothing too much trouble special thanks to Anna the manager and constance. we would recommend the club level room .
ate at the asian restaurant and the food and service are fantastic. a must do is the friday brunch we have never seen such a variety and quality of food .whist in Abu dhabi vista the grand mousk and farrari world a tip book premium fast passes to avoid the queues and skip to the from of an hour plus wait for the rides!
the hotel is new spotlessly clean and even at the weekends when busy the grounds are expansive and never felt overcrowded the pool guys were all amazing by day 2 they knew our favourite spot to sit and came running over to set the same area for us every morning nothing was too much trouble ice ,cold water sunglass cleaning ice lollies fruit your wish was their command.
the managers are clearly wirable throughout the hotel and are genuinely interested in your feedback and guest comments.
this is our second stay at the nortel and we highly recommend it. maybe something for the teens to get involved in would add to our stay maybe the pool team could organise times for a teen get together cocktails beach folly ball match or similar ,as there are good facilities for the younger children but not for 12 plus age group. if we could give the hotel 6 stars we would.
the mohan family England

Room Tip: the villas are very nice but some a long way from the main hotel and pool if you have a family maybe...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank inspector7leeds
I really appreciate the time you took to write such a lovely review about the hotel, Ana and Constance and the whole team feel very proud when they read your comment, we are glad that we managed to make your stay enjoyable and to create a nice memory, we look forward welcoming you again.

Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

This place was amazing, very relaxing and set in a beautiful location so peaceful. The mosque across the way made it so romantic especially to the night setting stunning its a must see when you arrive in Abu Dhabi. We were greeted with style when we arrived from our flight we were shown directly and quickly to the club lounge to check in. We were greeted by happy and smiling staff who took care of us we were amazed how kind they were... It has taken us 5 months to write this review as we are still invigorated from our trip it has taken us this long to come back down to earth with a bump back to reality!!!!!
I will always remember this 50th Birthday as the special one! We can't fault the hotel as we were made comfortable throughout our stay.The club lounge was amazing the staff went out of there way to look after us. The food was amazing, the hotel itself was stunning and in a wonderful location, pool side was comfortable plenty of sun lounges to choose from the staff on poolside were very quick to bring complementary bottled water and ice lollies to the guests it was the best.We want to thank all the staff at this hotel for making this trip memorable. Club Lounge ManagerJacopo Lachin was brilliant you could ask him anything and he would arrange it. We also want to thank Fazul on pool side we will not forget your generosity. Arun "Dolce" for making us laugh Serigne for being so gracious and always helpful when we wanted information. This Hotel has so much magic it will be hard to go anywhere else. We still miss you and hopefully we will be back soon.

Room Tip: We travelled in December so at night we got a little cold in our rooms and housekeeping supplied us...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 766ritam
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us, I enjoyed reading every detail and I’m so glad you had a memorable birthday on behalf of The Ritz-Carlton team receive our regards and we hope we can welcome you in a near future.

Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I have to admit that I was overly impressed with the magnificent structure of the hotel and I enjoyed the ambiance in general during my 6-night stay in April. I was, on the other hand, very disappointed with the level of service experienced as it neither matched the luxury state of the hotel nor the Ritz Carlton standards. The disappointment was mostly related to the housekeeping which in my experience struggled to barely meet the standards of a 4-start hotel. Housekeeping phone line was seldom attended to and when someone accidentally answers, requests usually take several follow up calls and outcome is like playing a lottery . It’s an agony to request a service and it’s even more distressing to receive it. There are clearly lack of training and quality control and both are not acceptable at a Ritz Carlton hotel.

Other areas that caused a negative impression include:
- Pool water was not clean over three days (algae was floating around and sticks to hair/body).
- Slow service at the pool area and Alfresco restaurant during breakfast.
- Kids club can be administered better with advertised activities/program actually implemented. Witnessed higher standard at other Ritz Carlton properties.

Frankly all the above lead me to take a less favorable view of The Ritz Carlton Abu Dhabi, Grand Canal and I’m not confident that I would return back next time I return to Abu Dhabi. Actually, I’m regretting not choosing the St. Regis which consistently appreciate my business with Starwood and makes me feel special as an elite guest member.

If you are a Platinum member, I suggest that you limit expectations or have none.

Room Tip: Direct housekeeping requests to the duty manager to ensure peace of mind.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Ritz-CarltonADGC, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Abu Dhabi, Grand Canal, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your feedback

We are sad to hear that you felt we were note able to create an enjoyable experience during your recent stay, it represents a concern since this is our highest mission, our goal is to thrill every guest with personalized service and the highest level of cleanliness.

I’ve share your comments about the pool with our maintenance leaders as well with our Housekeeping department, and they have put in place an immediate action plan to ensure this will not happen again,

My sincere apologies, for I would love to hear more about where you felt we fell short and would highly appreciate it if you can get in touch with us at rc.auhrz.exec.office@ritzcarlton.com

Thanks again for your review