“The Ritz Carlton was fantastic”

The Ritz-Carlton Abu Dhabi, Grand Canal
Ranked #32 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed at the Ritz Carton for 5 nights and it was fantastic. We arrived mid-week and it was quiet but it did get very busy at the weekend. The location on the canal is perfect, the hotel is beautiful, the staff go out there way to make sure you are ok. Good morning, good afternoon from everyone. the staff at the pool (Al Freshco) are exceptionally nice, especially Kevin, Adnan and Sathiya. They made us very welcome and they couldn't do enough for us, their service and help very much appreciated. Enza at the Forge restaurant was extremely helpful and the service and food was amazing. Constance in the club lounge was very nice.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors overlooking the pool and the canal are the best.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank maxonholidayIwish
Ritz-CarltonADGC, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Abu Dhabi, Grand Canal, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Please allow me to thank you for a wonderful review you have put for us during your stay at
Ritz-Carlton Abu Dhabi and for letting us know how impressed you were with the accommodation and service from our Pool team, Club Team and Forge Restaurant .

The entire team would be thrilled to hear your kind comments.

Thank you again and we hope we will have another opportunity to wow you.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Weekend break was marred by poor service. Very busy weekend so check in was carry your own bags and wait for your room until 4pm and then wait again for the table at breakfast. Good location and design so has potential but staff missing out the little things made the experience average. Asian restaurant was excellent as was the gelato outlet but little else stood out. The kids club near the pool had little going on and the fact that cars were allowed to pull right up to the entrance (which is near the ungated water play area) was a serious concern. We stayed in a one bedroom villa which was nice and spacious but the villa check in and out was staffed by a lazy team who failed to smile and even offer water or coffee. Having stayed at many Ritz's before this one failed to impress.

Room Tip: Villas are good for families but note that the pull out couch is not a comfortable sleep.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank ZahraEsq
Ritz-CarltonADGC, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Abu Dhabi, Grand Canal, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time and share with us your feedback

On behalf of the team accept our apologies for not the inconveniences experienced, I’m taking notes and for sure this will help us with our room of improvement, if it’s possible I’d like to get in contact with you, please contact me at rc.auhrz.exec.office@ritzcarlton.com

Warm Regards

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Our Family, decided to spend our weekend in Ritz Carlton Grand Canal.

We booked 6 rooms.

We arrived at around 12 to check in, it was long waiting. Once the front office counter was reached, it seemed that there was a problem, I check with the clerk who explained the difficulty to accommodate us. We had our reservation confirmation- it didn’t help. They were so busy & stressed to a point that there wasn’t even a proper eye contact established, a tall blond guy at the concierge desk was just looking at us without any reaction.

A while until the F/O manager show up to explain the difficulty to accommodate us in 6 rooms. Offer was 5 rooms & villa. We were ok with anything, we just wanted to check in it was already 2 pm.

At that time, we were around the lobby, the coffee server from Senegal was amazingly welcoming with a great smile.

We received our Key Cards at 2.10pm & started looking for our rooms. It was a nightmare, just like a maze. We encountered a house keeper and tried to find out where the rooms is but the answer was “I don’t work here, I am just a casual worker” she didn’t even know where to tell us to go. So many elevators (smelling food).

In such a grade of hotel, the minimum required service is an escort to the room where they can at least promote the hotel outlets , opening hours, the directory of the hotel and the room functioning.

Anyway we reached at 2.30, Rooms was spacious, clean with a nice toilet & pool view.
As we were planning to meet at the pool, we couldn’t make it before 3 pm because it took 3 calls to the bell boys to receive the luggage.

Pool was nice, clean with kids activities & very attentive staff & life guards.

After a while we went to Mijana restaurant to have a shisha that took 30 min to reach us because the Shisha man is having his lunch!! Staff & shisha were good though.
All non-managerial staff were nice and welcoming, especially the Dolce staff (lady from Zimbabwe).

At 8pm, couple of my friends decided to join and stay a night. I approached Sandra at the Front desk requiring the possibility of have an additional room. “I can’t give you room, we are fully booked” she answered. Seriously this is Ladies & Gentlemen Serving Ladies & Gentlemen!!!!!
As much as I understand the fully booked house I would have appreciated more of an answer like “We would really love to accommodate your friend with us tonight, but we are fully booked for the weekend”.

Nevertheless, went to sleep and woke up on a fire alarm at 4 am. We evacuated the building…False alarm (it happens).

Conclusion, This property does surely not represent the name its holding, Ritz is way bigger than that.

Something needs to change over there.

Total Disappointment.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank FoodConcepts

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback of your recent stay with us, I am very sorry to read that your experience did not meet your expectations and we couldn’t deliver an exceptional service, I would appreciate if you give me the opportunity to be in touch with you, if you could afford the time please send me your contact details at rc.auhrz.exec.office@ritzcarlton.com

Warm Regards

Reviewed 22 May 2014

Probably the best aspect about this hotel is the location. It is literally across the street from the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque. They offer a shuttle to/from the Mosque at :15 & :45 past the hour. Was a great and convenient benefit.

The hotel is very beautiful. Arabian architecture but has this Venetian influence. Any of the multiple buildings could be placed on the canals in Venice and look in place. Its location on the canal offers a nice beach area with plenty of chaise lounges with umbrellas and some cabanas.

The pool area is very nice and at night is lit with colored lights. Plenty of chaise lounges each with neatly folded towels placed on them. These touches are nice but also not a surprise for a hotel of this caliber.

The rooms were nicely decorated and the design is beautiful. I didn't get to try the restaurants as I only had time for quick room service meals. Food was good if not a bit pricey but I was surprised at how long it took to answer the phone when I called. Even had to hang up and redial before someone finally answered.

My only complaint was the Loss Prevention (Security) personnel. I'm a hobbiest photographer and one of the reasons I chose this hotel was its beautiful architecture and setting. A little after checkin, I roamed the pool area and grounds taking interesting photos of architectural details. One gentleman approached me in a suit and asked if I were a registered guest with a very unfriendly tone. I smiled and showed him my room key and he allowed me to continue. About 30 minutes later, a younger man in a uniform approached me and advised that it was forbidden to take photos of the property. He wouldn't give me a reason why. He said unless I had permission I needed to stop. I wasn't convinced so I pressed him for more answers. "Who do I need to speak to in order to get permission?" "What do I need to ask for as proof once given permission so the next guy won't tell me to stop?" To both he just smiled and said "I don't know". I challenged him and said certainly you must know as you're stating the policy is to not photograph unless I have permission. I asked him to please give me the necessary details so that I won't experience problems. He couldn't and said he didn't know. So I shook my head and went straight to the Concierge Desk in the lobby, explained the situation and after a few phone calls to their PR department and Security, as well as a promise to follow up with LP via email I would no longer have any issues and I was free to roam and shoot as I desired. By that time, my allotted time was up so I couldn't explore any longer. So beware, unless you're taking photos with your cell phone, you will be approached and asked to stop immediately. Really left a sour taste in my mouth within only 2 hours after arrival and set an undertone for my 2 night stay.

I'm returning to Abu Dhabi in a week's time but will not stay at this property again.

Room Tip: A room in the center of the horseshoe shaped property has the most beautiful views in my opinion, ov...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Kevin P
Ritz-CarltonADGC, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Abu Dhabi, Grand Canal, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your feedback

I would like to apologize for the approach of our security team, and it clearly highlights a requirement to improve our training in this area.
I understand you will be returning to Abu Dhabi, we would sincerely like the opportunity to demonstrate an excellent experience.

I would highly appreciate it if you can get in touch with us at rc.auhrz.exec.office@ritzcarlton.com
Thank you again for your review.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 21 May 2014

The soaring lobby, endless marble and crystal chandeliers are all well executed in an Italian Villa theme. From check in you are personally led up to your room; the staff was very helpful, mostly Ukrainian, African or European imports, all very well trained. One manager saw my colleagues and I wandering and asked if he could assist, we asked him about the restaurants and he walked us to each one, inquired as to what kind of experience we wanted to have (formal, live music, casual, etc..) and make on-point recommendations. I asked for an adapter upon getting to my room and realizing I had US plugs... one showed up about 2 minutes after I called.

There is an arabic coffee and date stand in the lobby... but ironically no lobby service (water, tea, regular coffee). There is a bar off the lobby (it's ok... but you're in the middle east so if you're into craft cocktails...you'll be disappointed in the quality and selection). All the restaurants are along a gallery downstairs (Lebanese, Steak house, 3-meal, pan-Asian) and there is a boat launch that takes you to the Fairmont, the Souq Waqif and the Shangri La). The Ritz is much nicer than the Shangri La, the grounds are huge, fantastic pool (3 times larger than Shangri La) with immense pool deck and prompt service. Rooms are large and newly appointed with separate shower, water closet and 6 fixture bath. Nespresso machine, mini bar and extensive in-room amenities top it off - bed is super comfortable. The hotel's location is far from most of the attractions and offices of Abu Dhabi... but it is right across from the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque which is a must visit!

Room Tip: Rooms in the middle of the crescent are closer to elevator (all are separated by a huge elevator lob...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Have eaten in Ritz Carlton twice this week, on Tuesday took some visiting friends for Afternoon Tea, it was excellent, i told the cafe manager it was my friends silver wedding anniversary, before we left, she was presented with a bouquet of 25 red roses and a box of chocolate.

Was at Friday Brunch yesterday, the food was top class, the service was excellent, the value for money was outstanding.

Well Done Ritz Carlton

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Hotel premises are in process of maturing. It is a rather new property. Shangri La across the water is by far lusher in vegetation etc. Yet, we appreciated the beautiful interior design of our villa, particularly the bath rooms. Very very tasteful and elaborate. The beds are so comfortable, I didn't want to get up. That good. Several dining options, no negative experience, all to a standard as anticipated with RC. Gym very spacious, pleasant surprise, good equipment. Pool is XXL, not sure if I'd appreciated a different setting, with several pools, but there i s lots of space for sure. Club level access is a great photo opportunity over entire premises and neighboring properties across the Channel. Lovely buffet, probably the best Club level experience we've had so far. Downside of this hotel: noise echoes from across the lake. Worst culprits are the jet skis. This is an area prohibited for jet skis. Officially. By Law. So: Why are they still roaming the waters, causing a nuisance to all guests, not only at RC but also the properties across.... beyond my understanding... at one point they came so close to the shore, I thought , they would run over guests in the water. If there is a function in the properties across the water, you may hear it. But it is the same on the other side, so no matter where you are , which side of the channel, on weekends, there is a good chance , you will be hearing a wedding or other parties carrying over the water in full decibel. Still give it 5 *, stayed here several times, great staff, always good experience,particularly appreciate the private check in when renting a villa. Would be nice, if the noise issue (particularly jet skis) can be resolved in the future. No excuses, there is no reason why they are still coming through an area RESTRICTED for jet skis.

Room Tip: The closer you stay near the water the more you may hear the sounds from jet skis or parties across...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple