“Perfect service”

The Ritz-Carlton Abu Dhabi, Grand Canal
Ranked #32 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I stayed at Ritz-Carlton Grand Canal during Ramadan time. When i arrived in the evening the hotel was busy with people having iftar and the atmosphere was very lively but relaxed. The front desk staff quickly checked me in and escorted me to my room at the club level. The room was nice, big size, nice large bathroom with separate shower and bathtub. There was a balcony with view of the entire "Venice-like" hotel and the huge swimming pool which was illuminted in different colours at night. The room did not lack of anything. Very comfortable bed and luxury amenities.
The swimming pool is one of the largest that i have ever seen and i heard that it is the biggest one in the UAE. There are plenty of restaurants in the hotel but they were all closed during my stay due to the ramadan. Main restaurant was open and the meals that i had there were excellent. There is a small stretch of white clean beach and plenty of staff to keep everything clean and well maintained. One of the best assets was the Club Lounge. Open from early morning to late night, they offer drinks and food (fresh fruit only during day time during ramadan) and as there was no food display the offered me to order from room service or eat at the main restaurant at no cost. Excellent service from the multi lingual staff. I realised that most of the very young hotel staff started to work there after the hotel opened a year ago. They mostly finished hotel school studies not long ago and were always eager to help and provide the best service. There were always happy for a quick chat and made my stay there a very happy one. On my next trip to Abu Dhabi the Ritz-Carlton will definately be the hotel of my choice. Thanks to all the staff at the club lounge for an excellent 5-star service!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank SwissTravelManager
Ritz-CarltonADGC, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Abu Dhabi, Grand Canal, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

On behalf of Ritz-Carlton Abu Dhabi team, please allow me to say 'thank you' for the very nice review that you have kindly wrote about our resort.

Your kind words about the staff, service, facilities and food make us feel appreciated. These wonderful comments will give us encouragement to always do the extra mile in taking care of our guests. The Club team will be thrilled to hear your kind comments.

Please do return and we will happily ensure that you will have yet another amazing stay at our hotel.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Dear Lozano
it's the first time i comment about hospitality in general and I hope it's last time.
what I see in the entrance that nobody was take in care of us from the beginning tell the end. when the lady in the reception playing with her colleague in the lobby she didn't see us the same in door of Asian restaurant 4 person's in the door joking between theme they see me when I been in the middle of the restaurant and one lady she ask me about my name or business card .
we seating down in shaking and sticky table maybe from some sauce for one week ago. we ask the server to fix the table for us did it after 15 min and still the same, after that one lady came to check how is our disaster dinner we realize that she was with staff who was in the entrance playing and the most worse she is the manager, that she don't have any education about the management behavior and education. sorry but is not the restaurant of 5 Stars hotel is nothing.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank magali B
Ritz-CarltonADGC, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Abu Dhabi, Grand Canal, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Thank you for takig the time to write this review. Please may I extend my deepest apologies for your experience as this is not our standards.

I would like to discuss your experience with you in person and would appreciate if you email me directly your contact details in order to dicuss at your convenience.

Please email me at pep.lozano@ritzcarlton.com.

I hope we can rebuilt your trust within our brand.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

I organized a 3 day event at this hotel and was very disappointed with the standards and also the consistency in customer service. Some of the staff were excellent and represented the brand well, however others were not and some seemed downright incompetent.

If this were not a premium hotel/brand, I would not mind, but a brand of this standard should be better represented, in my opinion.

Some of the issues that I or other members of our group experienced:
- The temperature in the meeting rooms is not individually controllable, our group was absolutely freezing, despite repeated requests to increase the temperature or simply turn off the a/c.
- We had repeated issues with the projector provided by the hotel and had to wait a long time for technical support to show up
- The food at buffet lunches was fine however drinks service was incredibly slow
- 3 items of laundry were lost however we were continuously lied to and promised that they would be delivered by specific times. As each of these deadlines passed, we were the ones who had to follow up, only to be given a new time. After 3 follow ups, we were finally told that the clothes had been located, but only one item had been cleaned. As we were leaving shortly afterwards, we had to take the other items as they were, causing issues at the next destination.
- Despite informing the reception 3 times of specific requirements and reminding of special agreements documented in our contract, individual guest invoices for our group were still not correct at the time of the check out.
- Despite having confirmed the details of the master account for our event in the afternoon of our final day, it was not ready for settlement by the evening and I had to spend an additional hour finalizing all of the details (this was my only 'down time' between a long work day, a business dinner and an overnight flight...).
- In the event contract there was no section to include a loyalty/membership number. I informed the hotel of my details three times during my stay and was told that these were recorded correctly. However, on following up on this after the event, I discovered that points had not been credited due to a 'fine print' detail. Repeated enquiries either resulted in no response whatsoever, or in 'stickler for detail' responses despite a 'common sense' and obvious situation/solution. At this moment in time, I have still not received these points and it is almost a joke that the hotel is being so pedantic rather than thinking of the overall implications for the brand.

So, overall, if you are looking for a hotel in Abu Dhabi with nice rooms and a good breakfast buffet, this could certainly be the one for you (although check your bill very carefully!). If, however, you are planning a meeting (or think you'll need to use the laundry service), go elsewhere!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank turtleflowertattoo

I want to thank you for your feedback on your event at the hotel. My apologies and I take your feedback very seriously.
I am working with my conference team in regards to your issues mentioned and would appreciate the time to get in direct contact with you to dicuss further at your convenience.

Please email me at pep.lozano@ritzcarlton.com

Looking forward to be hearing from you.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

My husband and I stayed in one of the Villas for a week. The staff was exceptionally friendly and the accommodations were quite comfortable. We had a view of the Grand Mosque from our porch and a short walk to the pool. Overall I would highly recommend this hotel and would definitely return.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank vgray1212

Thank you for your wonderful feedback about your recent stay.
It is our philosophy to ensure that we provide our guests with the highest standards of products and service and continual monitoring of guest comments is vital for our continued success.
We were delighted to know that you enjoyed your visit. It is always a pleasure when guests take the time to comment on the hotel. Please be assured that you kind comments will be shared with the rest of The Ritz-Carlton Abu Dhabi team.

Thank you again and we hope we will have another opportunity to wow you.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We initially stayed in a 2 bedroom villa, which is ideal for children (garden access) and good for entertaining (outdoor terrace). However, the rooms were on the small side. Also, insects were prevalent outside, and while understandable due to the surroundings, it made spending time on the terrace and in the garden uncomfortable.

Due to these reasons, we moved to one of the suites in the main building. This had a full sea view, along with a connecting room. Very nice arrangement, spacious, and top notch in all aspects. The staff, particularly Mr. Rifai, went out of their way to make us feel at home and to make up for our disappointment with the villa. Breakfast was the usual luxury and elegance of the Ritz Carlton. The swimming pool was great, although the beach was not as nice as we hoped as it was on the Maqta channel and not open sea.

This hotel is recommended, as it is located midpoint between the airport and city, and is also new and luxurious. Moreover, the rates were attractive.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sybaritus
Ritz-CarltonADGC, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Abu Dhabi, Grand Canal, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Please allow me to thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Ritz-Carlton Abu Dhabi. I would like to apologise for your experience in the Villas and glad to hear that you enjoyed the rooms you were moved to in the main building. I am happy to know that you were satisfied with the service from our team and overall experience. The entire team would be thrilled to hear your kind comments.
Your comment on the beach sand has been noted and we are in the process to review this to ensure higher quality for our guests.

Again, thank you most especially for your recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back and being of service to you once more.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stayed here for one night in a villa with four friends for a concert in May. The hotel was nice, but not much beyond that- in general, service to the villa was slow, which while understandable due to villa's location from the main hotel building, it was frustrating. The butler service that supposedly came with the villa was non-existent, for when I telephoned asking for a bath to be drawn I was informed it was to be done, but after returning home after 2 hours nobody had been there.
We did not dine at the restaurant, but used the concierge for arrangements at restaurants beyond the property, and the staff there were a delight to work with.
All in all, at a rate of $795 a night for a 2 bedroom villa, The Ritz-Carlton Abu Dhabi was a good value (in comparison to it's competitors), but I feel like there is a way to go before the hotel can truly deliver the luxury, refined service that is expected from it.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank malioil

Thank you for your candid review about your recent stay.

Your feedback is very valuable and we truly appreciate sharing it with us. My team and I extends to your our sincere apologies for the inconvenience and for not being able to wow you in some aspects of your visit most especially the service of the Villa team which were not up to your expectation. Indeed, it is not what Ritz-Carlton is proud of. Please be assured that all possible measure are being taken to avoid such unpleasant experience in the future.

Apart from the points you have mentioned, I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed some other aspects of your stay and we are looking forward to welcoming you again and ensure that your next stay goes beyond your expectation.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Amazing hospitality at every level from chefs to front desk staff were fantastic.....The chefs Mohammad and his team catered to very strict dietary requirements. The coffee shop was awesome with very attentive staff to make each guest feel welcome and at home.....

Room Tip: The Suites in Top floor are fantastic