“Best lunch buffet so far”
Review of Ingredients

Ingredients
Ranked #246 of 2,216 Restaurants in Abu Dhabi
Price range: US$0 - US$120
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Description: An all day dining restaurant serving the finest cuisine from around the world in open show-kitchens, focusing on authentic Emirati dishes, Asian flavours and Arabic comfort food, Enjoy al fresco or indoor dining while relishing creative dishes based on organic and fresh seasonal ingredients.
Reviewed 24 November 2013

When the offer from Groupon came out for a buffet lunch for two at Ingredients, I was very hesitant at first to buy it. I found it too expensive for my budget especially that I also have to pay extra (half the price to be exact) for my daughter who is already 6 years old, but then my husband who has already tried their buffet previously (from his company) told me that it was worth it. The price of their lunch buffet can actually pay for an overnight stay in one hotel at Yas Island with breakfast buffet included. I told myself this will only be a once in a lifetime event and clicked the buy now button with my eyes closed and made our reservation.

Ingredients Restaurant is located at the Eastern Mangroves Hotel and Spa. It is actually difficult to reach this hotel. It is located actually in the outskirts of Abu Dhabi. If you plan to take a cab, expect a taxi fare of around 60 to 80 AED.

We started off with the soup, of course. They had three soups to choose from - one from the Oriental corner - Singaporean Laksa, from the International station - Cream of broccoli, and from the Japanese station - Miso. Me and my hubby had laksa, as we fell in love with this soup when we went for a vacay in Singapore. You can actually choose the stuff that you would like to put in your soup such as spring onions, chicken meat, etc. The laksa was good, although it was less spicy than it should be. Our children had the cream of broccoli soup. You can actually tell from the picture below that my son loved it soooo much!

Note that if you are short like me, you would need another person to fill your bowl with soup as the pots were too high for short people to reach.

Needless to say, they also had a bread corner, which I forgot to take a picture of, but I tell you this - they actually had the best butter ever. If my memory serves me right, I think they were serving the brand name Doux for their butter.

The salad station consists of a variety of greens along with eggs, bacon bits and of course the wide ranging dressings to choose from. You can make your own salad or pick out from one of their ready made salad such as Fatoush, Greek salad, etc.

Well I decided to make up my own salad. When I saw the bowl of arugula leaves, I just could resist the temptation of filling up my plate with it. Yes - I am addicted to arugula. Sadly, it's very hard to find one here. I also took a small amount of chicken pomelo salad, which was divine, tabouleh, which was average, a bit of bacon and a pickle. I am not really good when it comes to buffets, and with just the laksa and my salad plate, I was already full, but hey call it glutony I had to taste at least some, if not all, of their dishes.

So I took a rest for a while and headed towards their seafood station. You can choose sushis, sashimis and makis off the rack or you can ask the chef to make you a special one, as per your heart's desire. I just chose the ready made sushis, as I didn't want to wait. They also had fresh oysters, prawns, etc. They can also cook those for you. I actually saw some guests asking for fresh raw oyster. I wanted to eat oysters, too, but I just couldn't eat it fresh. If it was at least blanched, then definitely I would go for it.

The sushi I had was gorgeous. It only had slight after taste, which is common if you were eating raw seafood, but it was absolutely fresh, because if it wasn't then my rashes would have immediately popped up right after the first bite.

After a few minutes, I headed on to the Oriental station. The Oriental station was just like heaven for me. The meat, fish, veggies and dumplings were all lined up nicely. Just tell the chef which ones you would like to have then come back after a couple of minutes.

They even had Peking ducks, too. It was too late for me when I realized that they can actually make a duck wrap or pancake (as some would call it) for guests. So when I came back to get my first order, I asked (smiling) the chef to give me a duck wrap; however, the chef gave me that look like you should have included that in your first order!, and told me to come back after 10 minutes. I was actually quite disappointed because had I known that there wasn't any instant duck wrap, I wouldn't have asked for it.

Nevertheless, I was really satisfied with my Oriental plate. I ate each and every piece of it to my delight. Well almost every piece except for the two salmon sticks, which my devoured all by herself!

The duck wrap for me was a little dry. I was actually looking for a much thicker sauce, I think it was Hoisin sauce, that goes with the wrap. However, they didn't have it from their choices. I just took the light soy sauce.

From the International cuisine station, I only had the chance to taste their Italian spaghetti, which my kids had. It was actually very good. It was Italian style, but it wasn't that sour. My kids actually enjoyed it.

Finally, I had dessert. The choices for dessert seemed endless. I wanted to taste all of them, but my stomach wasn't distensible enough to accommodate all these goodies. I had to make the best decision! Of course, the best decision for me would always be cheese cake and carrot cake. I also took some candies for the kids. The quality of their cakes was a 10/10! However, I didn't like these coconut coated red and yellow thingies.

To help me digest my two hours' worth of eating, I asked for a cup of tea, which I actually took 20 minutes to be served. The waitress whom I have asked to give me a cuppa didn't give my request. I had to ask another waiter who pleasantly and immediately gave my cuppa. The same thing happened with my husband. He asked for a glass of cold soda but none was given to him; he literally had to tell another waiter for the same. Bad service, to think that there wasn't really a lot of guests during that time.

If it were not for the bad service that we had encountered, I would have rated this restaurant a perfect 10.

We also got a chance to enjoy the amazing view that the hotel has to offer after dining in.

If asked if I will come back - the answer is yes BUT I need to save some more for it.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

It's so hard to get a reservation done at ingredients especially after you tell them that we bought a Groupon offer which happen to be done by them, staff at phone is completely ignorant. Initial booking was done, which happened to be on Eid day but no one from the restaurant called back to say that we dont accept voucher. But i still called and rebooked in order to avoid the embarassment. It took me 3 phone calls with 3 different people to explain them that i had a groupon voucher for breakfast. Upon reaching the restaurant, there was no one present at the hostess desk to greet or seat you. I walk pass by the large entrance / lobby of the restaurant with waiters running around like headless chickens as if there was a storm in the place.... What was more disappointing to see was that restaurant was more than half empty at around 09:45 am but there was so much of clearence to be done across the place. Finally we managed to speak to Marisel who happen to be hostess who sat us on a dirty table on terrace.
We waited another 20 minutes before some one could ask for tea/ coffee which came at the end of our meal. Buffet was not replensihed and there were 2 indian chef at live counter struggling to make egg orders and pancackes. Cold buffet was half empty and hot buffet was more or less empty with food being cold. No name tags on the syrups, preserves and sauces add to your misery if we are taking the right thing. Fresh juices were there with no glasses to fill the juice in.
I can go on about the worst breakfast i have had in a long time in a 5 star hotel like this one. Food and Beverage manager really along with the chef needs to put some staff inside the place and at the same time visit other hotels like Jumeriah, Crowne PLaza Yas Island & St Regis to name a few to see what a breakfast is. No where does this reflect Anantara as a brand and service. I will certainly not recommend this to any of other viewers although they have won awards for brest brunch and highly commendable as an international restaurant.
Hope managment looks into the comments seriously and puts in effort to improve the overall experience else they will relenquish in the mist of heavy competition.

Aki

Reviewed 13 October 2013

Let me start by saying that they have a good variety of food cuisines that satisfies almost everyone i.e. they had Asian, Italian, International & sushi buffets over lunch. However the variety within each cuisine wasn't that much except the Asian station were it offered almost every kind from spring rolls and steam dumplings chicken and veggis, a couple of dishes pre-prepared, to live cooking chicken, beef, fish or prawns with your selection of almost 7 or 8 different vegetables!

I tried one dish from each cuisine (except sushi): the Asian was the best! I had a chicken breast and my wife a salmon and couple of prawns (both live cooking); the sauce prepared by the chef from scratch and the way the meat was cooked and the presentation were all marvelous. I would like to mention specifically Chef Mark who took the privilege of delivering the dishes to our table and even took the dirty plates himself! He could have simply called a waiter but we were shocked how humble and friendly he was! He made our day and taught us an unforgettable lesson that no matter how big you are; there is no shame in doing any job! If you ever go there you must ask him to prepare you something! By far the friendliest/best Asian food chef i have met.

Their deserts corner was amazing (desert wise), many varieties to chose from and all were great. I have only one comment: They are using regular display fridges to put the deserts in, so you have to turn around behind the buffet and open the sliding door to pick what you want, this requires you to keep bending your back down all the time to see and pick what you want, it will be a torture for someone with back pain. Most of the 5 star hotels have an open-display for the deserts that is cooled somehow from underneath, why they don't do the same? It will be million times better than using starbucks-like fridges! I hope management would see my comment and do something about it because it is just too cheap for such prestigious Hotel and annoying too for guests. On the other hand kids won't have any problems with this LOL.

The restaurant atmosphere is very nice, the tables are very well placed from each other, the chairs are very comfy and the whole restaurant is very clean. The interior design is beautiful but there is nothing special about it, I've seen many more pleasant restaurants. The music selection was nice as well.

All in all, I can say the food variety is average but its quality is what makes it worth the visit; it is amazing! Their staff are well trained and extremely friendly (Again, thank you Chef Mark).

Would I go there again? Yes.
Would I recommend this restaurant for friends? Yes.
How often would I go there? I say maybe twice or 3 times a year maximum, because as my subject says, it's an excellent restaurant but somehow you feel it misses the WOW factor that would have you come back more frequent. However you have to try their food at least once if you live in Abu Dhabi.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

We had our corporate Iftar at the Ingredients restaurant and the food was divine! One of the best buffets I've been to in Abu Dhabi. Two thumbs up. And a big thank you to Sahan Moratuwage, Ingredients Manager, for accomodating our requests in a very professional manner. Will definitely visit again. -From the Obermeyer team!

4  Thank EK V
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I would seriously recommend this restaurant as a "place to go". The staff were extremley helpful, even with a packed restaurant. The service was excellent and the food was lovely, with a great variation.

1  Thank 611Lisa