“A Great Indian Meal”

India Palace Restaurant
Ranked #202 of 2,038 Restaurants in Abu Dhabi
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Aldermaston, UK
“A Great Indian Meal”
Reviewed 2 April 2013

If it's Friday night it must be curry night! Always one for continuing a UK tradition, I was pleased when a colleague suggested going to an Indian restaurant for a bite to eat (as you might see, there is a growing theme of Indian restaurant reviews within my contributions!)

The India Palace is not much to write home about from the outside, looking somewhat delapidated. However, inside, the interior is lively, busy and welcoming. The restaurant has a small stall near the entrance selling bangles and other handicraft, which is somewhat unusual but adds to the sense of authenticity.

We hadn't booked (not even sure you can?) but were shown quickly to a table downstairs. My colleague mentioned that the upstairs part of the restaurant also has private booths, but we didn't venture to investigate.

As for the menu, it had an extensive range of dishes, some familiar (for a chap from the UK) and some not so. We went for the 'standard' pops and pickles, which were good, followed by starters, one of which were crab cakes - these were nice but could have been a bit spicier. For mains we went for tandoori chicken - which was very tasty - and Firdous Ghost. Despite being asked whether I wanted this spicy (which I did) it came and, while tasty, didn't have enough of a kick for me (but I was brought up on Chicken Vindaloo in Birmingham in the '80s so perhaps it was just me).

The final bill was not overly expensive, given the courses and drinks we had had, although it took a little while to pay.

Overall, I would be more than happy to go back to the India Palace and would recommend it if you are looking for a good and not overly fancy Indian restaurant in Abu Dhabi.

• Visited March 2013