“Ramadan tent visit”
Review of Emirates Palace

Emirates Palace
Ranked #5 of 127 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I have been a frequent visitor to the yum cha brunch at hakkasan and thought it would be a good idea to visit the ramadan tent with some out of towners for what is thought to be the grandest iftar in Abu Dhabi. I can only say that I expected more.
It's quite pricey so I expected service, variety and ambience to be top notch. Unfortunately, this was not the case for the following reasons:
1. The tent is positively arctic. With such low temperatures, the buffet was cold by the time I went to eat and the managers running around didnt seem to care. I complained and was told they only had a central chiller and could not turn it off. So the family all huddled together and tried to eat through chattering teeth and shivering spines.
2. Arabtec built the tent here and it's no surprise their share price has plummeted since ramadan started. It's a rickety floor which creaks and you end up getting vibrations from anyone who walks within a 10 foot radius. It was quite annoying especially when one pays so much money for a peaceful iftar.
3. The variety of food isn't bad, but it's nowhere near what I expected from EP consisting the price of nearly 300 aed per person. I can somehow accept that variety was minimal but what is unacceptable is that the food didn't taste all that great. Everything was bland, shrimp was undercooked, tikkas were dried out. The best thing there was the falafel, something I can get in Abu Dhabi for less than 5 dirhams.
4. I asked for tea for the ladies and the waiter promptly told me they would charge me for it. It was a bit shocking as when I booked I was told that tea and coffee was included. I asked him to double check and he went around like a headless chicken before bringing us a pot of extremely weak tea served with ice cold milk. I asked him to bring me a pot of strong tea and hot milk which turned into a farce as the second pot was just as weak, and by the time the hot milk came to us (about 10 minutes) the tea had gone cold. So we had to ask for additional tea bags to make our tea in the cups which took another 5 minutes. All in all, any place that can get so chaotic over just a cuppa doesn't deserve to be called abu dhabis grandest iftar and charge 300 dirhams for it.
5. When the bill came i observed they had charged me full cover for a 12 year old girl. This was completely counter to the advice I had been given when I made my booking. I asked the waiter to confirm and in a totally indifferent manner he said that 12 year olds get charged full cover. I decided not to argue as I was eager to get out of the deep freezer.
6. The ramadan juices they offer are absolutely horrid. Don't bother young for any of the 5 concoctions and stick to water.

All in all, I was terribly disappointed with the EP ramadan tent and urge you to save your hard earned money and either take iftar at home or go to some less pretentious place where you can actually get value for money.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank GastronomiqueUAE
HolgerSchroth, General Manager at Emirates Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience in our Ramadan Pavilion. I am very sorry to read that your experience with us did not meet your expectations. We are working on the specific aspects that you have mentioned, including the AC temperatures.

Holger Schroth

Write a ReviewReviews (3,568)

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Great place, all the saff are very helpful. Beautiful hotel and has great pools and a beautiful beach so much to see in the hotel and plenty of resturants to chose from. It sure has the wow factor it may lack some atmosphere but we enjoyed it and it is what you make of your holiday relax and enjoy the wow factor.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
HolgerSchroth, General Manager at Emirates Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind feedback on your stay with us.

We value the feedback of our guests in a continuous effort to provide the best service and hospitality in Abu Dhabi.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Palace soon.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

A sight which at first is quite unbelievable, gold then some more gold and then again even more gold - it looks stunning - and then you perhaps see past the gold to see an absolute mammoth hotel crying out for tender love and care and soul - there is no atmosphere here at all.
Strict rules apply to where you are allowed to walk or be depending on how you are dressed unless of course you are are from the Middle east then the rules don't apply !
The food and service in the many restaurant are excellent but expensive as you would imagine.
It is very easy to get lost in the hotels cavernous interior - we did on several occasions and we stayed for 14 days !
The beach was immaculate each and every day and we well looked after by the beach attendants
Started our stay in the 2nd level room but spliced out and stayed the 2nd week in a suite - it was lovely but if you looked closely you could see the painted gold peeling off everywhere !
Overall an interesting and eye opening stay - would I stay again for the amount of money - I doubt it.
The open top bus tour around the city is "must do"
The hotel tries very hard to live up to the 7 star billing and I think with all honey if you are just a normal "Joe Public" the hotel staff don't really cater for you - the hotel is just TOO big and caters for the very very very rich - it was an enjoyable stay but there were just things missing ????????

Room Tip: Book a room away from the children play pool - the hotel is massive and talks a very long time and e...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Dave,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us from your stay in August 2013.

I am happy to hear that you had a good stay with us overall. Yes, the hotel is an impressive 1 kilometre from wing to wing. We take great pride in the beauty and magnificence of the property.

Thank you for your feedback. We value the comments of our guests in a continuous effort to remain the number on accommodation in Abu Dhabi.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

This hotel is obviously pretty nice. The front desk and concierge staff are great, as was the room service people. The pools and beach were far better than I was expecting.

My main knock on this place is the [non-breakfast] food. Mind you, I only ate one dinner meal here, and it was at the buffet (the only spot that didn't need a reservation) so I didn't get to graze on the whole spectrum of stuff available, but for the wild cost, the food was absolutely disappointing. Though the quality of breakfast was great.

I recall some of the poolside items for purchase seemed to be pretty wildly priced. I believe I remember seeing a bottle of Erdinger for 45 Dirhams, which is 3x the highest price I've seen in Canada (which is really saying something), and a 90 Dirham hot dog <-- i will be honest, I almost bought this just to see what CDN$30 looked/tasted like, but i somehow knew it wouldn't be worth it. I know this hotel is pretty fancy, but similar items bought off-premises are much closer to reasonably priced, so this just seems like gouging because they think they can.

Also, after doing a day-long city tour, the security staff gave me a hard time when I tried to enter the hotel. Even though I had my room key in my hand, the gentlemen felt the need to repeatively ask "You are staying at this hotel?!". I wasn't overly impressed by his welcoming attitude.

On a good note, the lifeguard and poolside folks, both at the pool and at the beach, are terrific and super helpful.

The public washrooms in this hotel are going to be nicest you will ever see if your life. I promise.

All in all, I am happy I stayed because of the experience, but there are a few things that can be changed for the better.

Room Tip: was in 2525. Even the cheapest rooms are really nice.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank amishstud

Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to welcome you to Emirates Palace last month. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, the positive and the negative. I am happy to hear that you had a wonderful experience overall.

Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

We celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary here and I must say I could not have chosen a better place to do it.
I commend each and every member of staff we met who where all polite and could not do enough for you.
My only negative was the evening international buffet which lacked in variety and limited to only salad and soup if you were a vegetarian like my wife on our first visit here.
However when I brought this to the attention of the restaurant manager Salish Balyan he immediately offered to make an alternative dish just for my wife and could not have been more apologetic.
Like I started my review its the staff that add that extra to a truly memorable experience to remember.

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank R9MN1K

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind feedback on your stay with us last month. It was a pleasure to host you during your 20th wedding anniversary, and I am pleased to hear that you had an exceptional time.

I am especially pleased to hear that the staff in Le Vendome were able to offer more vegetarian options once you brought the lack of variety up. We are continuously striving to improve our level of service to provide the best accommodation in Abu Dhabi.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Palace soon.

Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

The food was nice, but founded overpriced compared with other available options specially when juices and soft drinks are not included. The pavillion floor is not well constructed, so we spent all evening "jumping" on the chair everytime someone passed by. It was even more disturbing with the kids running... Nevertheless, the overall set up is very beautiful.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sofia S
HolgerSchroth, General Manager at Emirates Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Sofia,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Ramadan Pavilion in Emirates Palace. I am sorry to read that your visit did not meet your expectations.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

We visited Abu Dhabi briefly on a stop over to South East Asia. One of the places we visited was Emirates Palace. It was quite grand and beautiful. Wealth is vastly displayed (gold plated ceilings, gold vending machines, large paintings etc).

We had coffee, hot chocolate and dessert. It was lovely and the service was exceptional. Both presentation and food was delicious and a bit over the top I.e. Coffee came with edible gold shavings.

It's a great place to visit even if you can't stay there and a must see. It really captures the wealth of Abu Dhabi.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Shivon_R

Dear Shivon,

Thank you for taking the time to write a kind review of your visit. I am happy to hear that you found some time to visit the Palace for tea and cake!

I will happily share your comments with the rest of my team.