“Four Star Service”
Review of Emirates Palace

Emirates Palace
Ranked #5 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 1 August 2009

Just try to stay for 2 nights a very known Palace in Abu Dhabi. Really amazing structure from the entrance to the beach area.
But service wise it's like a 4* deluxe hotel, especially the butler and restaurant service. Also the price is very expensive compare to Jumierah Hotels

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Bahrainsky
Write a ReviewReviews (3,585)

Reviewed 30 July 2009

By far the best place to stay at in Abu Dhabi if you can afford it. We took a tour of the city and confirmed that we had chosen the best place because of all the construction and high rise street scape in the CBD. It is very opulent and grand with excellent service and facilities. The restaurants were all very good and we had the most spectacular breakfast ever, well worth the money. The only draw back is that there isn't a cheaper, cafe type restaurant where you can get a light meal. The cheapest rooms are fantastic- very large, comfortable and beautifully decorated.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2009

The Emirates palace exceeded all my expectations - it was amazing! The room we were given there was a big as the downstairs of our house and that was just a standard room. My husband and I were celebrating our 20th Wedding Anniversary while we were there and when we arrived at the hotel (at 3.30am) we were shown to our room and the butler came in and introduced himself and bought a huge bouquet of Red roses, a bottle of complimentary Red Wine and a cake saying 'Happy Anniversary!' - this was a lovely gesture. My husband loved the 52 inch plasma TV!!
The half board option is a must at the Emirates palace as the food is absolutely out of this world - the range of the buffet food was incredible - I had the best indian curry there that I have ever had! My husband and I were eating oysters and mussels every night - you could have whatever you wanted. If you weren't on half board the food was incredibly expensive! Burger and Chips by the pool would have cost the equivalent of £50. A small beer was £10, a Gin and Tonic was £13 and a bottle of wine (cheapest house) was £35 - so be prepared for the cost! If you wanted to go anywhere you had to get a taxi although taxis were not expensive. The staff were incredibly helpful and attentive. The hotel is HUGE. The Havana Bar is a must to visit - I thought I was in Cuba again sitting in there! You can sit there with a large cigar and cognac and while away the evening. All in all though it was a fantastic hotel and a wonderful experience. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel - just for the experience! I would definately go back there again.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GillMargo
Reviewed 9 July 2009

Having travelled to the United Arab Emirates a number of times I have to say this hotel exceeded all expectations. This has to be the best hotel in UAE, from the minute you go through the entrance you are treated like a royal.

We checked in and were given tea, cold towels and roses and were greeted with a smile from every member of staff we crossed. Even though the hotel is very large you feel like you are the only one staying there. The pool was beautful with a private beach, they have a seperate pool for families and children and a seperate pool for adults looking to relax and unwind.

The spa is a must visit it has to again be the best spa I have visited of the 12....

We visited the Etoiles restaurant which was beautiful and very quiet meaning the staff paid excellent attention to each and every guest. We ever saw Joan and Richard Branson on the table across :) then we walked to the beach and saw Paris Hilton....

This hotel is a great hotel and excellent if you are looking to spoil yourself or splash out. Although expensive it is defo worth the cost......I would defo recommend this hotel and I will defo be back :)

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank lovetotravel2206
Reviewed 6 May 2009

This hotel is beautiful, don't get me wrong !
The room was nice and clean.
What left me disappointed was the restaurants.
I had one meal in the Mezzaluna (they think they are an italian restaurant). Food was mediocre, service was horrible.
I also had 2 lunches in the Vendome buffet restaurant, and was surprised by the lack of consintency in the offer.
Same restaurant, same price: the first day we had oysters, carving meat station, etc... The second day, nothing to eat !
I would understand if it was the brunch, but it was during 2 weekdays, and the same price was charged.
On overall, nice place to stay, expensive, but when in town I prefer to go to the Intercontinental for a good meal at a correct value for money, with friendly service.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank LoverNice
Reviewed 30 April 2009

This hotel was a bit of a conundrum. It was hard even coming up with a title for the review.

Driving up to the entrance gave me a chance to get an idea of the size of the Emirates Palace - it really is huge, set in some spectacular grounds with lots of fountains, almost Versailles-style. In fact, the more I think about it, the more it reminds me of a modern take on the Palace of Versailles.

The entrance hall is enormous - truly gigantic and almost completely empty, unlike many lobbies where you walk in on alot of seating or a bar area. The reception & concierge are hidden off to one side and there are staff to lead you from the main doors since it isn't obvious where to go when you first arrive. Checkin was pleasant, with dates, fruit juice & coffee offered to me while they checked my details.

The uniform of the female reception staff I found a bit bizarre. We are after all in an Arab country and yet here are these (mainly European or Asian) women wearing extremely short shorts covered by a long brocade cloak. Kind of titillating for Islam?

The downside of the gargantuan nature of this hotel is that everything is a long walk - it probably took nearly ten minutes for me & the lady that guided me (for I would not have located the room on my own) to reach my room in the West Wing. The upside of this was that it meant my room was near the beach & pool area; the downside was that I was a long way from everything else. Best to have a checklist before you leave your room - no 'just popping back' here!

The room itself was quite nice - although surprisingly modest in dimensions given the scale of the hotel itself. Huge plasma screen on the wall, and cool Marantz automation system for entertainment, lighting etc.
Shortly after I arrived at the room, a butler delivered a welcome drink, which was a nice touch. Alot of fruit was also provided in the room.

Weirdly, this was a double room and yet I was provided with two single duvets: something I didn't notice until I climbed into bed, by which time it was too late to request a double duvet. But I did ask for one in the morning and they were happy to oblige.

Compared with other five star hotels I have stayed at recently, I found this one understaffed. For example, the corridors are pretty much deserted so there's nobody to ask for directions until you reach a lobby area, where if you're lucky there may be a guard. Near the pool it took me ages to find the hut with towels, and I saw very few staff helping residents find sun loungers etc: compare that to Shangri-La in Muscat where the beach would have been swarming with staff moving loungers, setting them up, getting parasols etc. This was not an isolated occurrence: I went to the same pool area twice and saw the same lack of staff.

I had dinner at the Al Qasr Beach BBQ which as the name suggests is right on the beach. The food was fantastic but I would not have wanted to me the one paying the bill: food & drink at this hotel are truly extortionate. For example, breakfast I was told was AED 215 (GBP 40 or USD 60). A milkshake is AED 30 (GBP 6 or USD 9). Afternoon tea is AED 180 (GBP 36 or USD 54). Given the rooms themselves are AED 2000 by the time you've paid all the taxes & service charge (GBP 400, USD 600), it soon adds up.

One point in their favour: they offer WiFi internet throughout the hotel and there is a choice of low-bandwidth free service (which I'm using to write this and has been absolutely fine) or higher-bandwidth paid service. I think this two-tier approach is a good idea and wish other hotels would adopt it.

I chose this hotel because I was speaking at a conference in the hotel which made it a more convenient choice. Overall an interesting experience but I don't think I would come back to this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
4  Thank Russell N
Reviewed 28 April 2009

Stayed here for 7 nights,took over my parents a first time for them in the UAE .My parents allways spent there holidays in spain until they seen what they got for there money over in the UAE .FIRST was the accomedation ,stayed in the coral rooms on a free half board basis .FOOD was great hot cold buffet breakfast and we mean HOT not like spain where it is covered in oil and cold, ROOM was lovely with large balcony, and staff could not do enough for you my father has walking sticks and thought that he was going to find it hard getting around this very large hotel,but to his dismay they would ask him in the morning which pool he would like to go to and they shuttled him in a golf buggey from pool to his room and always made him feel comfortable during his stay .HE said he has never had treatment like this in any holiday he has been on especially in his trips to spain. THE staff made him feel like a king he said ,they just waited on him hand and foot. THANK YOU ALL at the EMERATES PALACE for making our stay so welcome.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family