“Mindblowing - extravagance at every level”
Review of Emirates Palace

Emirates Palace
Ranked #7 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 3 January 2011

I travelled to the Emirates Palace in June 2010. I went with my husband and my mother-in-law. It was my mother-in-laws 60th birthday and our 6th wedding anniversary.
We were surprised to be greeted literally as we got off of the plane by the hotel's representative who then took care of all our luggage and transfer to the hotel.
As soon as we got to the hotel we were greeted by large numbers of staff. As already mentioned, we were provided with flowers and cold towels.
We were taken to our room and given a tour of the hotel. Within minutes of arriving in our room, the butler team arived with cakes and flowers and a banner to celebrate our annversary/birthday. Photos were taken and given to us the next day as a momento!!
It was extremely hot in June so the hotel was very quiet - just how we like it.
The facilities were outstanding - the kids pool with tubes were great fun. There was even a man on the beach with camels to ride at any time.
Golf buggies whizzed around the resort taking you anywhere you wanted to go to.
We were on half board and the food in the main restaurant was always fresh and different each day. The deserts in particular were amazing! I recommend the palace cake.
If you do not want to eat in the Vendome every night then you can have a credit against meals in the other restaurants or can use your half board option for lunch. Beware this does not apply to all of the restaurants so I'd advise you to check before dining!
The service was fantastic - nothing was too much and the staff were all friendly and keen to please.
The rooms are larger than average. We were upgraded to a pearl room which had stunning views of the sea. The rooms were serviced regularly. The butler would contact housekeeping and services as soon as we left the room so that it was replenished by the time we got back. We did not have to wait for or ask for anything.
The hotel is absolutely huge and there are tours given to the public/guests of other hotels and so there is a lot of security however I did not find this intrusive and given that David Cameron and other Sheikhs were present during our stay, the security did not bother us at all.
It is easy to get around from the hotel and there are a number of shops and a mall very close by. The doormen are happy to arrange taxis which are actually on standby outside the hotel.
The Thai restaurant in the Hilton was lovely. Just a five minute taxi ride and very good value for money.
This hotel is simply stunning and I cannot recommend it highly enough. It is important to note that in my opinion you cannot get a true feel for the hotel unless you stay there. I stayed for 14 nights and cannot find any fault except that of course it is expensive. However I expected it to be. It is no more expensive than a 5 star hotel in London or Dubai and as long as you know this before you go, it won't come as a shock.
There are lots of added extras, for example a free mini bar in the room (soft drinks and water), fruit and sorbets offered around the pool, chocolates and water at night time. If you ordered a wake up call then you could have this with complimentary tea or coffee. Bikes were provided free of charge to travel around the resort, flip flops provided for around the pool. Use of the gym and bathrooms around the pool. This was particularly useful as we had a night flight. We were able to stay at the hotel all day and use the bathrooms at night to shower and change for dinner.
I have stayed at the Burj al Arab on three occasions and would honestly say that the Emirates Palace is much more relaxed and understated but every bit as good.
I hope to go back very very soon.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank HertfordshireMissy
There are newer reviews for Emirates Palace

Reviewed 2 January 2011

Did not stay at the hotel. Visited to spend the day. Horrible service and very unfriendly staff. The person at the italian restuarant thought he owned the place, so did the waiter upstairs at the cafe. Extremely expensive but the smirks you get from the stuff are free!!!! Also, waited for 15 mns for the valet to bring my car...even though there was no other people waiting! Oh, and in case you need to ask for any information/help better ask a visitor!!!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 December 2010

We live in Abu Dhabi and visited Emirates Palace as a family for High Tea. Whilst the surroundings are undoubtedly lavish and have more 'wow factor' than one might expect even given the hype, the service is sadly lacking. From the borderline-aggressive security guard who grudgingly eventually accepted our assertion that we had made a reservation, to the serving staff who studiously avoided all our efforts to attract their attention, getting any service at all was a tortuous process. The single, shining exception to this was the beautiful Croatian waitress who showed us to our table and took our order.

High Tea consisted of a variety of savoury and sweet delicacies - most of them delightful - and the tantalising promise of 'unlimited hot beverages' . Now, none of us are tea or coffee addicts, but getting just a single refill was agonisingly difficult. It says something that I arrived back home (a five minute drive) thirstier than when I had left to go out to tea, two hours previously.

After much thought, it is with great surprise that I find myself advising Emirates Palace to take a leaf out of Pizza Hut's book: when those boys offer free refills, they don't try and renege by playing hide and seek with their customers - they pay attention to what their customers want and deliver as promised.

In the absence of a staff member who could understand basic English (what waiter doesn't understand 'coffee??) and was willing to talk to us, I have tried to leave feedback to this effect on the Emirates Palace website. Funny thing is, they aren't listening on there either.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 December 2010

The hotel is huge, with great lobby and good service. especially the tall concierge Bob was very very helpful

Good job and keep it up.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 December 2010

Beautiful, simply elegant. Superb service. It would be OTT, until you realize why and what big was built for and how it then came into play as a 7 Star hotel. If ever one could have their dream night fantasy, this is it. And a gift it was for our anniversary.

Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 November 2010

I stayed here for 3 days and it took me half of that time to find my way from the room to the restaurant and back without getting lost! The hotel is huge!!! But wonderful as well - all marble, gold and velvet if you are into that kind of deco. My room was huge, too, so was the bathroom. I was surprised to see quite a few families holidaying there, although i think it's a great hotel i wouldnt choose it for a romantic trip - it seems to be more of a business place.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 November 2010

Have stayed here several times over the last couple of years, it is a great place to stay. The pool on the west side is great for kids with slides and a lazy river so ask for a room in the west wing if staying with children. The only negative thing I would say is that the busier the hotel is the lower their service standards, arrive on a nice quiet day and you will be greeted with flowers for the lady, even a gift for children, butler will welcome you with a nice drink etc, feels very special. Arrive on a busy day and you are likely to wait around to check in, no flowers/gift, butler may show up after a while, may or may not have drinks etc. It would be good if it could be consistent.
The hotel grounds/pools are just fab, as is the hotel itself, such attention to detail everywhere.
Also even when busy the hotel never feels crowded with people, and it is great to sleep in a hotel without hearing doors slam shut and people making noise as they walk through the corridor.
Soft drinks such as Coke, Sprite etc are free from the minibar which is nice.
It always gives us a horrible feeling to leave the Emirates Palace and return to reality.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family