“Very questionable and absolutely not worth the money”

Al Diar Capital Hotel
Ranked #87 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Very questionable and absolutely not worth the money”
Reviewed 3 April 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Al Diar Capital for just over a month when we relocated to Abu Dhabi. His employer had booked the room for us, so fortunately we didn't have to pay for staying at what I can only call a very mediocre hotel.

The rooms are fine. Nothing special, just ok. They have a mini fridge and a little sink area, as well as a water boiler to make tea. I know there are several rooms on each floor that have kitchenettes, but we didn't stay in one of those.
Breakfast is ridiculously overpriced at 60Dhs per person, the hot food is distasteful and most of the bread is at least a day old. The fresh fruit is hit and miss, sometimes it's nice and ripe and other times it's not. Other than that your choices are limited to cereal and boiled eggs. Not very inspired.
The room service food is absolutely awful. With the exception of the Arabic mezze platter and the Arabic mixed grill, which are OK (I assume the chef is an Arab), every single dish is a complete mess. We got served burned pizza with burned cheese on top, half-raw meat, disgusting pasta with sauce straight from a tin can, etc.

The staff at the breakfast buffet and the cleaning people are really very friendly. The front desk people on the other hand don't seem to be too motivated, but we had no bad experiences with them.
During our stay, the fire alarm went off at least 6 or 7 times, sometimes in the middle of the night. This was extremely annoying, and I can only assume they are trying to fix it as there were "scheduled fire alarm tests" twice which we got informed about. There was no apology from the hotel staff for waking us up in the middle of the night, which we found extremely bad service.

All in all, I really wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone. If you have no choice but to stay here, make sure your room is on the 8th floor or higher. We stayed on the 9th and the noise from the nightclub downstairs thankfully did not reach that high.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mizri

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 25 February 2011

I had a three night stay in Capital Hotel and my experience was not great and at the most can be termed below average. I left with the feeling of being overcharged for mediocre standards of food and service.
Rooms at Capital are OK. Decor is nothing special. Bathroom is a bit cramped but passable.
Breakfast buffet at their top floor restaurant was pedestrian. Very few varieties, cold food.
Sleep quality is another issue for a business traveller with thumping sounds of their disco disturb you a lot especially if you are at a lower floor.
Service is discourteous with arrogant staff manning the front office.
Not Recommended.

Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2011

Noise, noise and more noise from the discos that are held until the early hours of the morning! My room was 3 fllors away and the noise was horrendous! I would never stay here again which is a shame as the location (just off the Corniche) in the tourist district was great!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank andrewleea

Travellers are raving about these Abu Dhabi hotels

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 17 September 2010

is the Rockbottom cafe.A great place for live music/drinks at night.Very Noisy!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank HoneyBun000
East Sussex
Reviewed 22 October 2009

The hotel has a disco / night club on the 3rd floor and a bar on the ground floor. Both are open until 3:30am most nights. The noise projects up to the 7th floor and is worst thru' the bathroom vents. Saturday night is 'Ladies" night. They ain't ladies when they are scrappin' in the car park at 4:00AM. It's a knocking shop and you can see 4 or 5 girls fighting to get into the punters cars....not my scene, if it's yours, enjoy yourself.
I complained about the 3 nights of noise, and they said that it was a special event. My local contact says it's standard and well known for prostitution.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
4 Thank Xanthamgum
Switzerland
Reviewed 18 September 2009

Really not bad, I'm suprised by those negative rewiews..I eventually can understand the comments about bars and nightclubs in the hotel, but me and my colleagues found very handy to go there after dinner. Most of all we liked the pub that also had live music shows.
The room was nice, I got the "neighbours" wiew, it wasn't much, my colleages had the "sea wiew" but it really was a huge "under construction" area and far behind you could recognize the water....
I didn't mind.
Had a blast in Abu Dhabi a nice stay in Al Diar Capital.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank LukasHeart
Vienna
Reviewed 28 May 2009

I was staying at Al Diar Capital hotel during May 2009. I didn't have the chance to book early in advance, which meant that there was not available hotel rooms in Abu Dhabi.
The Capital hotel is one of the oldest hotels in Abu Dhabi... something you will definitely notice when going inside. The four stars for the hotel might have been a birthday gift for the hotel's anniversary, it felt more like 3 stars (but of course, you pay the 4 star price).
The positive about the rooms is they are spacious. I don't think that the hotel has been refurbished since the opening, you will see that the interior is worn.
The bathroom has a cheap look, especially bathtubs are made out of some plastic, when you step in, the floor will bend... this I have never experienced before.
Breakfast is simple and nothing to dream about. However, the food is fresh, if you see the guy making the omelettes, send him my regards, because he only showed up once during my stay.
Be sure to dine outside, I tried once the Indian restaurant (which was ok, but overpriced for the quality served) and the Italian spot, which was a total failure. I should have noticed when stepping inside, as literally nobody was in there, except some waiters standing around looking very bored. The quality of service and food was disastrous, waiters brought starters and main course together (although we explicitly asked them not to do so), forgot some of our orders. The pizza I received looked like directly from the deep freezer and it tasted of fish (although there was no fish supposed to be on top).

The worst about the hotel however is the nightclubs in the first floors. You will hear the beat going all night long, although I usually have a very deep sleep, I woke up a couple of times and had a hard time to go back to sleep. Even when asking for another room, I would still hear the beat going.

When in a hurry, printing documents in the business center will eventually result in being late for appointments.

Service and personnel of the hotel was very attentive, every wish I had was fulfilled.

Unless you want to pay high price for a couple of sleepless nights and dirty rooms, do not go there, there's plenty of other hotels in Abu Dhabi, just be sure to book in advance.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business