“Good choice for a stopover”

Shangri-La Hotel, Qaryat Al Beri, Abu Dhabi
Ranked #14 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 8 January 2012

We stayed only one night so our experience of this hotel is correspondingly limited. We were stopping off between flights on Etihad to the far east. We thought the hotel was perfect for our purpose. Our "deluxe" room (which I think is their standard basic room) was extremely comfortable, very well furnished and equipped and surprisingly spacious (much more so than any photographs I have seen would lead you to suppose). The staff were very helpful and the overall standard of design and fitting out of the property is very high. We had an excellent dinner on the outdoor terrace of their Chinese restaurant although it is a little chilly outdoors in December after night fall. We also had a drink on the main terrace overlooking the pool with a view of the grand Mosque in the distance. I was disappointed by the view of the Mosque at night; the floodlighting does not do the building justice and the minarets are so covered in warning lights for aircraft that you might easily mistake it for an indusrtrial complex. I was also disappointed by the brightly lit hinterland which is much more built up than photographs would suggest and the "beach" appears very limited in size - not next to the sea as such but a thin inlet or creek which seems to be entirely surrounded by buildings. While I appreciate that it may not be fair to judge the surroundings on the basis of a single overnight stay, I am not sure that I would be drawn back to the location. Having said that, the hotel itself is excellent and we really liked the indoor bar off the lobby and the amazing selection at breakfast time in the huge buffet restaurant. While I am not a fan of buffet breakfasts, the buffet here almost won me over and there is ample space to cater even for the busiest times. If I ever had to stay in Abu Dhabi again, I would certainly bear this hotel in mind.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Irishguest
There are newer reviews for Shangri-La Hotel, Qaryat Al Beri, Abu Dhabi

Reviewed 7 January 2012

Perfect room for romantic stay, great shower with Loccitane amenities. The attention to details is impressive. The staff is very nice. The restaurants are very good and the food is not expensive. The view is amazing. And the price is good.
What else would guests want?

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2012

I stayed here for work last year and I would say its one of my favourite hotels. Upon entering the whole reception area feels very warming and welcoming, there are figs which you can help yourself to and the staff were helpful and friendly. The hotel is very charming and elegant throughout.

The room itself was lovely. I had a great view of the mosque and a huge balcony. The bathroom was really well stocked with L'Occitane toiletries, and it just felt like so much care had been put into the design of the room. The bed was a little hard for my liking but this is personal preference. Also I do remember there to be one or two small lights of the tv or other things shining, which is always a pet hate as although small I can always notice it when I sleep! But this is me being petty...

I ate in the Sofra Bvd restaurant a few times - amazing food, such a great variety and just so much choice! Honestly I could have eaten for hours if I hadnt been so full up! You can eat outside near to the pool, and stare into the distance and the mosque, or people watch. I also drank in the small glam looking bar, very nice and cosy feeling. And had drinks at Pearls and Caviar, again a lovely location (just a bit of a pain to get to)

I went to eat one night up the road at the Fairmont, and was so glad to be staying at the Shangri-La. I love the way its spread out and feels like a resort, as well as keeping to a Middle Eastern theme. The Fairmont was a bit modern and weird, maybe just not to my taste (although I love the building from the outside)

Location wise it isnt the best as there isnt much around, apart from the other few hotels, so you would have to get a taxi to go anywhere, but if you dont want to leave the hotel its perfect!

Room Tip: Ask for one with view of the mosque (this might be all of them though!)
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank rarchy
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Spent our honeymoon here for 8 nights after marrying in Sorentto, Italy.

The only way to describe this hotel is excellent.

Room Tip: Selected a premier room, you could easily live in this room.....
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Yiddo13
Reviewed 3 January 2012

I have waited until now to post this review in the hope that Shangri -La hotels would have contacted me after I completed their survey at the end of our holiday but to no avail.
We booked a 1 bedroom suite for 2 weeks but on arrival were told we had been "upgraded" to a premier room in the main hotel so we would not have to walk so far for breakfast!!. Being familiar with this ploy we insisted on the suite we had booked but were told none were available as some guests had extended their stay.
Eventually a Studio suite was given to us the following day and we were quite happy with it. At the end of our stay we asked for a late check-out ,offering to pay, but were told the hotel was full. Unlike other Shangri - la hotels we have stayed in (Oman for example) there were no facilities for guests leaving late in the evening other than using the pool changing rooms etc.
I have no complaints about the hotel - the pool was good,all of the restaurants and most of the staff were excellent but I was disappointed that the management did not respond to my comments on the survey and offer an apology for the inconvenience of having to argue our case late at night after a long flight and change rooms the next day.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank reta289
Reviewed 2 January 2012

I have recently spent 2 nights at the Shangri-la in Abu Dhabi. This is truly a great place to stay for a few days. I have tried to think of anything that was not perfect or not really good, but I could not find any ! It is really a great place : rooms are beautiful, clean, and well equipped. The staff is very friendly and always taking care of you. The main restaurant is offering great buffets for the morning breakfast and the evening dinner (I have not tried it for lunch). The view on the Grand Mosque is beautiful. The access to the beach nearby is easy, etc etc.... All in all, this is a true 5-stars experience and a great place to stay. I would surely recommend it !

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank Benoit999
Reviewed 1 January 2012

Spent Christmas Day at the Shangri-La. First class meal with excellent service. The choir singing carols and visit from Santa made it very special. Just love this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family