“Very good quality hotel!”

Shangri-La Hotel, Qaryat Al Beri, Abu Dhabi
Ranked #14 of 129 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Marbella, Spain
“Very good quality hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012 via mobile

We were upgraded to suite and it was fabulous! Very spacious! The service is very good! The beach is nice! You have superview to the Mosque!
On thursday there were super house mucis at the pearl&caviar!!
In any ways this place is very good to stay! You will not regret!

• Stayed May 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Great Neck, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

Last year I stayed at the Shangri-La in Muscat and had an amazing time. This time, I stayed at the Shangri-La in Abu Dhabi and yet again, have an amazing time. This is truly a beautiful hotel and a true gem in a city full of 5 star hotels.

Upon arrival, as I am VIP'd everywhere I go, everyone knew my name and welcomed me to the property. This is a treatment that I absolutely love. When walking into the lobby of this property, you are overwhelmed with the beauty of everything Shangri-La. We were welcomed with the traditional Arab coffee and dates (pitted of course) and by the front office manager as well as Manager on Duty (MOD). After the traditional welcome, we were escorted to our room, where the MOD checked us in and gave us the introduction to our room. I wanted something that was ground floor and walk out, thus we were only limited to two room types, basic and junior suite (I have the latter of course). I must say, thanks to Richard Stiehl, this room had an absolutely humungous closet that took up a whole room (this was the biggest closet out of the 4 hotels I had stayed at in this week). Thank you again Richard, you are the man!!!!

Once we were all checked in, we met with one of my friends who showed us around the hotel and then took us out to dinner at Pearls&Caviar. If you don't like seafood, don't go to this restaurant. The regular menu is nice and all, but we received a 6 course tasting dinner from the chef that was out of is world. Of course, the best part was the dessert. But for those who do like seafood, you MUST try this restaurant out, even if you are not staying here, just go anyway.

That night, we opted to just stay in as it had been a long week already for us. The next morning, I went to their gym, which is a hike from my room but a good warm up. But being a bodybuilder and using a hotel gym don't mix and this gym was no different (although watching the hotel trainer's jaw dropping in awe of the weight I push made it worthwhile). We went to brunch after I finished the gym, which was rather expensive (AED620 for two people, where as AED367 is USD$100 and that was with no alcohol) but very good none the less. Afterwards, my girlfriend wanted to check out the pool and I wanted the beach (she won).

As I was walking down to the beach, I developed a nose bleed out of nowhere, and every single staff member within visual distance of me ran over to assist. I guess I just needed a little more attention on me. But, after the whole scene was over, the MOD at that time, who was the security manager (I think) came over to check on me. After that, it seemed every single member of staff at the hotel knew and asked me how I was feeling (nice sentiment but way too over the top).

That night, we went to the chinese restaurant (yes another one) and I enjoyed everything. The gf is a little picky. The food was well made and had lots of flavor. The service was phenomenal but the room was very loud and you could hear everyone's conversations.

The next morning we checked out and yet again, everyone wanted to make sure I was feeling better. The Shangri-La has a wonderful service, that upon arrival at the Abu airport, a Shangri-La representative meets you at the car, takes your luggage and your passports, and checks you in. We were flying business on Etihad, business and first have their own dedicated check in facilities which are wonderful. You really feel like they go above and beyond the call of duty and I love that experience.

Conclusions:
This hotel is amazing and one of the top ten I have experienced. The room was large, the service level is far beyond that of Four Seasons, St Regis and Ritz Carlton. It's just like service level provided on airlines not based in Europe or the Americas, they go far beyond to make sure you are well taken care of. I just wish the Europeans and the Americans didn't forget that. This is why the Middle East is right now, my favorite region of the world.

Room Tip: Contact me and I'll make sure to put you in contact with my friend on property.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank worldtraveler0411
winterthur
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

We spent around 4 days in Abu Dhabi, after taking part of a conference and staying at another hotel. We did the reservation online.
The building itself is very impressive from outside, as it is a huge complex.
The beach is just in front of the hotel, with lot of places to relax. they offered towels of the best quality.
The welcome was very warm, with tea. it took a little bit longer, dont know why. It was late in the evening and I really wanted to go to the room.
We were a little dissapointed to learn that the pool was on renovation and not working. But they informed us we can use the pool from the neighboor hotel. Which was a good deal.
The room we got was really VERY simple. The furniture and the equipment was not of a 5-4 stars hotel, as maybe we expected. It was actually very normal, nothing special.
It was a pitty that the room we got was also just in-front of a big construction that is taking place.
Next day, they started to work at 7.30 am, which made us wake up that early on our holidays.
For our suprise only then we found a LETTER announcing this kind of INCONVENIENCES.
I found it -personally - very bad that they informed us about the pool but didnt use the chance to inform us about the construction. At least like that I should have had the chance to go somewhere else!!!!! the construction is really loud and during the day we couldnt open the window or the curtains!!!!!
After the breakfast - a good provided buffett with a very nice service - we discussed this with the reception. At the beginning they try to offer us another room, away from the construction, which was not enough for me. If there were room availables aways from the construction, why they didnt offer it before???
So I explain my reasons for not accepting and these guys they listen to me. So at the end they upgraded us to a suite, which was really beautiful, with sea view, balcony, living room, huge toilette for 2 persons, bath tube, sepparate shower, and all cosmetics from Le Occitane (my favourite brand). Through this we had access to the Lounge, so the breakfast is in a very close circle, same like happy hour every evening.
the complex is huge. you can go out to the other hotels, to an inside market, there is an area with lot of restaurants and coffees inside the complex, so that you really dont need to go outside, if you dont want. we could use the pool of the other hotel which was beautiful!
I really enjoyed my stay here. I liked the service very much, and was really very grateful that the management listen to my complain, considering that this was done in a very polite way as well.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank estela10
Zermatt, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

This was the last of the three Abu Dhabi 5-star hotels I stayed in....although the most expensive as well. Although it was quite nice and locally flavored, I found it a bit too fancy and stiff-collared for my taste.

I'll start with the positives. The view of the Grand Mosque from the room is impressive and unique, especially at night. Since there's not many English TV channels, they offer an impressive array of DVD's which are free and quickly delivered to your room. I watched Titanic. The staff was very friendly and professional.

Now the negative.....When I checked out, there was a $120 charge on my bill from a hotel restaurant I never visited, and certainly didn't dine in. It took some time to sort out, and in the end they said they had another guest with my same exact name (not sure I believe that since my name is rare). When I visited the pool, there was no place to sit (not enough lounge chairs). so I swam and sat on the cement deck (like going to the YMCA). I'm not particularly fond of paying $300 a night to sit on the ground. And finally the room service prices were exorbitant. I realize it's a 5-star hotel, but paying $16 for a Martini or $6 for a Coke is irritating to me.

The staff was nice but everyone says "hello", which I honestly find irritating to have to greet every staff member (guys on ladders, passing kitchen staff, groundskeepers)....everywhere I go. I'm paying $300 a night, I want privacy unless I ask for something. I'm not staying at your hotel to make friends with the staff. If I want to say hello to the guys cleaning the windows, I will do so, but they should not initiate. It should be like the movie "Remains of the Day", the staff don't speak unless spoken to. I realize this sounds like I'm a snob, but I have a job that includes a lot of speaking and personal contact, and I prefer to be quiet and private when I'm on holiday.

In the end, the negatives outweighed the positives and I probably wouldn't stay here again. However, If really expensive, lavish, and formal hotels are your thing, and you don't mind sitting on the ground at the pool, you would like the Shangri-La Abu Dhabi.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the Grand Mosque and the Ocean Channel are best.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank GregorySeven
Athens
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

I did travel with my family and it was a great surprise. Hotel was very nice, among the best i have visited (and i have visited many), personnel attitude was as expected from Shangri La standards (very polite and very helpful). Breakfast was superb and the same was the dinner buffet (probably the best among the Shangri La hotels). The room was extremely nice and clean. The souk next to the hotel romantic and very helpful with shops restaurants and ATM's. The beach was not as nice as it looked like but the swimming pool was good and the service excellent. Nice restaurants, nice location, excellent rooms, friendly and professional service with many free extras at the swimming pool and at the beach. Ideal hotel if your destination is Abu Dhabi

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Vasileios P
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

I recently stayed at the Shangri-la in Abu Dhabi for a work trip and had the most wonderful experience. My first room was on the ground floor. When I asked to be moved to a higher floor since I was traveling alone, I was quickly moved. The room itself was gorgeous - a wonderful view over the creek and the mosque - with a wonderful balcony. Dinner at Hoi An was spectacular. The highlight of the stay, however, was the personal service I was shown. I'd left a small item at home and realized just before my work dinner. When I asked the guest relations team member at the desk about where to replace it, she actually offered to go to the the nearest shopping centre to get it for me. After dinner, I returned to my room to find the item, receipts, and my change - along with a personal note.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Bornem, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

We just returned from a week at the Shangri-La Qaryat Al Beri in Abu Dhabi with friends.
Without a doubt we must say that this was a wonderful vacation! As from our arrival in the hotel we were treated with a warm and gentle hospitality of all the staff. We knew the chain of Shangri-La of previous stays in other countries but we were delighted to be at the S-L again.
This is truly a marvelous hotel and all the amenities are great.
Let’s start about the hotel: the location is not a true ‘beach’ hotel but who cares when you have a ‘private’ beachside with a stunning view on the Grand Mosque! We must admit that the hotel is located ‘between the bridges’ but that didn’t bother us at all. Once you are along the nice swimming pool or just relaxing at the beach you forget all that. It’s a large hotel and it has a 800 m waterway which you can use to go for an ‘Arabian gondola’ ride called ‘Abra’. This gondola stops at the Soukh where one can taste and feel the Arabian way of life.
The premises are all kept very clean and all the staff do their outmost to make your stay unforgettable.
We had a premier room on the 4th floor with a large terrace with a view on the Mosque which was as well in the morning as at sunset a photographic wonder. The room was large and had all the necessary amenities. We heard a few days some music from Pearls&Caviar but that made our lounge moment on our terrace even more enjoyable.
We knew already what to expect from the food but we must say this was really top class food. We stayed during the period of easter and at the buffet there was a huge chocolate egg and not only in the morning was there a chocolate fountain even for dinner there were 3 fountains (dark, milk and white). We had breakfast outside every morning around 8th o’clock so we could make some good excursions even when this was our sixth time in the UAE! We also had the chance to take part at the Easter brunch which is very popular at this hotel and we must say that it was a great experience! All together with locals and tourists – an amazing mixture of all cultures and religions.
However if you want an culinary delight you can choose eather more Asian style at the Vietnamese restaurant Hoi An or the Chinese restaurant Shang Palace or you can go for an exquisite dining experience at the French restaurant Bord’Eau. Whatever your taste is, you will be spoiled with an array of different spices and flavours.
I did already mention that the staff made our stay like being part of the S-L family, but it’s that human capital of the staff that gives the hotel that extra touch. It would be to difficult to mention all names but if we should give some names that made our stay one to remember here are some of them: Ivy, Islam, Hassan, Marianne, Snow, Matthijs, Adil, Kamal, Nora and many more.
We won’t forget the general manager although we didn’t met him but he surely deserves all our respect for leading this fabulous resort.
We hope to be back one day at this fantastic hotel!!!

Room Tip: ask for a room on the 3td or 4th floor. they give fantastic views of the Mosque!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends