Shangri-La Hotel, Qaryat Al Beri, Abu Dhabi
Ranked #13 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 19 June 2012

A beautiful and professional hotel. On arrival the lady on reception told us she had moved us to a room nearer to all the amenities and with a better view. This was true, the view we had was stunning, looking directly at the grand mosque. Good sized room and very comfortable.
The staff were very professional, always somebody on hand to help and always with a smile.
We booked into the spa and asked reception directions. Straight away was a hotel club buggy to take us as they insisted it was too hot outside to walk there.
The spa really was magnificent, i think probably the best i have ever been to. I felt at ease, comfortable and very relaxed from the moment i stepped in there. It's a wonder i could walk out after, the treatment was so good i actually dozed off!!
A pleasant way to pass time in the hotel is by getting an abra (traditional arabic boat) to the hotels souk which are connected by the waterways through the gardens. A nice little novelty.
Breakfast was enjoyable, a good choice of fresh, hot food on the buffet. You don't even have to get up to fetch a juice. A trolley is brought around to the table with juices and smoothies to choose from.
Unfortunately i can't comment on the restaurants in the hotel as we ate out the 3 nights we were there. Which is a shame as the restaurants did look good.
Overall i think this is a lovely hotel. Luxurious, professional and i think more welcoming and intimate than the vastness and sparseness of the Emirates Palace. The Shangri La just has that little extra personal touch.
If i was to return to Abu Dhabi i would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lady_Dayna

Reviewed 12 June 2012

I only stayed here for one night but loved the hotel and it's lovely Moorish-Moroccan style and attentive service. My room faced the beach/pool/mosque so it was perfect for my visit as my purpose was to visit the Grand Mosque and just have a change from Dubai. The room was luxurious with a wonderful balcony to sit on(well after dark in June) with all the touches a super lux hotel should have though I think they could have done better than L'Occitane toiletries but that's my only real complaint and it's just a personal preference. I had the int'l buffet lunch and also breakfast in their main restaurant and room service for dinner. Service was excellent in all areas, inc. check in and out. The hotel reminds me of the Shangri-la in Muscat that I visited in 2010 in it's style and the feeling of being in such lux surroundings that you never want to leave. They offer a shuttle to the Grand Mosque, which is well worth visiting, and you can just catch a taxi when you want to return. I did use the beach area briefly too after my evening mosque tour, and they immediately set up a chair for me and brought over a cold bottle of water. I took a look at the spa but didn't have time for a treatment but it looked wonderful. They also have their own souk attached to the hotel. I can highly recommend this hotel, just wish I could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an upper floor directly facing the Grand Mosque.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank moremiles
Reviewed 9 June 2012

Stayed here for 4 days in March, absolutely loved every part of my stay! Fantastic rooms, great staff and make sure to ask about the free shuttle buses to Yas Island, Ferrari World, the Grand Mosque and the malls!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank leahehoffman
Reviewed 9 June 2012

What a treat. I usually stay at the Fairmont when traveling to Abu Dhabi, but it sold-out. The hotel staff was the best I have encountered, the rooms were spotless, the location and surroundings were beautiful and the Spa was fantastic. Will definetly stay there again.

Room Tip: I had a corner room that seemed larger than most.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 June 2012

This hotel is amazing and is definitely worthy of its five stars! My husband and are pretty scruffy and probably not the type of people you would expect in a 5* hotel, but we were never made to feel uncomfortable and the staff were fantastic. The staff already knew our names before we stepped out of the car, and welcomed us by name each time we returned to the hotel or went to the restaurant for breakfast and dinner. The attention to detail in this place is as impressive as the staff who work here.

The rooms are beautiful and have more amenities than you could think of. The beds are comfy, although a little hard for my liking, and the view of the mosque is spectacular. The hotel offers a free shuttle to the mosque and I highly recommend a visit.

The pool boys are so helpful, always giving you additional fluffy towels and water or cold towels.

I really hope I get the chance to return, I'm so glad I had the chance to experience this amazing hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank amazingmuppet
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Wow! This resort is AMAZING!
I stayed here in October 2011 on my way home from Europe and I found the entirety of Abu Dhabi to be an enchanting and beautiful oasis in the desert :-)
I landed in Abu Dhabi very early in the morning, I was met by a very polite man with a big fancy car and chauffered immediately to the hotel. The most wonderful thing I must note is that I arrived at the hotel at about 7:00am, and the reception staff were amazing, I was pretty much checked in straight away and I went up to my room to have a sleep before exploring the place. Every staff member is supremely skilled in customer service. For my entire stay I felt like I was the only guest there with how important and special I felt. I have never experienced customer service this outstanding and exemplary anywhere else!
My room was incredible. I cant remember exactly which type of room I stayed in but I think it was a deluxe room overlooking the beach. It was beautifully air conditioned but not to the point that you were freezing. It made a comfortable difference to the 40+degrees (celcius) temperature outside!! It was impeccably clean and tidy. And everything was so big!! The bed, the bathroom, everything!! And the architecture was so beautiful!!
The only strange thing that happened in my room was at night the down lights over my window would randomly turn on and off at random times. This spooked me a little at first (a ghost perhaps??) but then one of my friends told me his theory was that because there is so much electricity used to run such a city that the generators short out every so often (or something like that) .. anyway it was only the lights going on and off a little in one part of the room, I was never plunged into total darkness. So it was nothing I considered inconvenient or sinister.
The breakfast buffet was much like any other you would expect of a 5 star hotel. I am not a fan of hotel breakfasts (too fatty and greasy for me) but if you like hotel breakfasts then you will not be disappointed! Shangri-la reputably hosts a vast arrange of decadent breakfast treats that cater to any guests' appetite!! I never sampled the lunches or dinners but my meal favourite was ordering a burger at the pool bar outside and eating it while soaking up the atmosphere or the sunset.
The resort surrounds are beautiful!! I took a walk one night and there are beautiful gardens and fountains and pathways everywhere. The pool is a perfect temperature for swimming with a beautiful horizon edge, when you swim up to it you can enjoy a view of people enjoying themselves in the canal opposite (i was lucky enough to spot some handsome men rowing!!)
Being a young single woman travelling alone I can guarantee you this resort is absolutely safe and comfortable to be in. The dress code is very casual just make sure you cover up a bit when you arent in the pool (most women seemed to get away with wearing tshirts or singlet tops with knee length skirts or shorts. (but be mindful you will need to cover up a bit more if you visit the Souk (market) next door to go into town to check out the Sheikh Zayed Mosque or other sight seeing.
The resort is very convenient to the Souk next door, which is a marketplace. You can get there by gondola in a cute Venetian style canal running through the resort to the Souk, although alternatively you can also walk there which is what I did. The Souk, from my memory , has alot of cute gift shops and a restaurant or two. I only had a look on my last day.

Make sure you make time at this resort to really relax and enjoy the environment!! I went out adventuring too much, as I do, and I didnt find I had much time to relax and enjoy, and wish I had.

I will definitely come back and stay here the next time I come to Abu Dhabi!! You should definitely stay here too!!

Room Tip: Any room will be just beautiful, I guarantee it!! I liked my room which was overlooking the canal...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank Ness-of-Sydney
Reviewed 25 May 2012

We went for a fews days of relaxation in the sun, our rooms were spacious and luxurious, the service was impeccable, nothing was too much trouble. Our rooms over looked the beach and the grand mosque, which was amazing especially at night. The breakfast was best I have ever had, the range catered for every type of diet, and the fresh fruit, chopped especially for you was fantastic. In the evening there are a couple of resturants in the hotel itself, or a short walk to the souk and you'll find a selection of at least 9 more choices, from Italian, Indian, Noodle Bar, and a Steak House. You simply don't have to move from this location if you want to escape to a desert paradise.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends