“A beautiful hotel”

Shangri-La Hotel, Qaryat Al Beri, Abu Dhabi
Ranked #10 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 12 January 2013

I stayed here whilst part of a cricket tour and can honestly say I thought the standard of facilities, decor and service was faultless. The whole atmosphere was elegant, courteous and friendly - from the charming man who offers you coffee in tiny cups on your arrival to the waitress in the bar who, on the second night, remembered that my drink of habit was a large gin and tonic! The breakfast is completely jaw-dropping - I have never in my life seen such a range and choice of food. Although I don't have children, many on the tour did and the little ones had the times of their lives there at the chocolate fountain - it was a veritable Willy Wonka experience! I was very impressed indeed with the four night stay, my first in a Shangri-La hotel and definitely not my last.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank SueQLondon
Write a ReviewReviews (2,544)

Reviewed 11 January 2013

We stayed here over New Year 2012/13, to have some 'us' time and were not disappointed. This is a splendid place, and we really enjoyed our sty, which ended far too quickly. Service was excellent throughout, the quality of the restaurants was very very good, and the infinity pool was nice, warm, and a pleasure to spend time in. We can't wait to return, hopefully soon.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2013

We came here on a 3 day stopover on our way back to the uk from Australia and it has been absolutely amazing - I literally could rave about this hotel for weeks. The staff are the biggest asset (and that's saying something as the hotel is pretty damn fantastic) they are the most friendly, genuine and happy people we have ever met and absolutely went out of their way to make this stay special. When we arrived at 530 am they already had our room ready so we could relax after a 14 hr flight, they'd put all sorts of treats in our room including a present for each of our 2 kids - we couldn't believe it! I paid more than I usually would for a hotel as I wanted it to be a special end of holiday for my family but I feel like I have had more value for money here than anywhere else.
I don't generally do reviews unless I feel very strongly about a product or service good or bad - this place I feel needs to be totally commended for its excellence.
If you're looking for a place to come and relax just do it.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 9 January 2013

I should probably start off by stating that I now realise Shangri-La hotels are just not for me. They never feel like a 5* hotel, and I think it insulting to put them in the same league as some Four Seasons or Mandarin Oriental hotels, etc. And much of the decoration takes me back to the 1970's.

Certainly with this hotel do not upgrade to a Horizon Club Room - what a waste of money. Delightful staff, but what dire dismal offerings.

The little man made beaches are ok, as are the swimming pools. But I was hugely irritated by having to sign a consent form the second I sat by the pool stating I would not hold the hotel responsible if I had an accident or if my belongings were stolen. I then went to sit on the private beach and was asked to sign another consent form. Later I went back to swim in the pool - another consent form. And so it went on every day. Ludicrous and petty!

I didn't particularly want to eat at the buffet restaurant, however the nicer places were completely empty so I foolishly followed the herd. The food I ate could only be described as average.

I know I will be judged as a snob, however, that does not bother me at all, but a hotel always drops in my estimation as soon as I see the only butter available comes in nasty little white plastic sachets, often stored on a pile of melting ice in a bowl. Those things are absolutely fine at a motorway cafe or an airport, but not a so-called 5* hotel.

And what other 5* hotels place cans of Heineken beer in a bowl as part of a buffet? Hilarious!

Certainly the hotel has a good view of the enormous mosque, and maybe for some it's a very attractive mosque. But when I first saw it with it's flashing lights, I actually thought it was a nuclear power plant.

Room Tip: Pick a room that overlooks the nuclear power plant.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Serial_Traveller
ArbindKS, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Qaryat Al Beri, Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2013

Thank you Serial Traveller for taking the time to share your feedback about your stay at our hotel. We sincerely apologize that you have found your stay to be disappointing for we serve thousands of satisfied customers. In your case, we seem to have failed and we are truly sorry we have let you down. Please feel welcome to let us know if someday your travel plan brings you back to Abu Dhabi. We welcome the opportunity to recover your confidence in the hotel's service and facilities.

Reviewed 8 January 2013

I stayed att Shangri-la one week over new years holiday with wife and daughter.Having stayed att Shangri-la before we knew that we could expect quality and excellent service. This hotel is no exception. From the welcome at the check-in to the check-out everything runs smoothly and you really feel as a guest. The service is out of this world and they constantly find new ways of pleasing their guests. The hotel calls this "walk the extra mile" and they almost always do. I can't imagine service to be better than this.

We stayed in the Horizon Club and had rooms on the 6th floor with wonderful (city)wiew overlooking the Grand Mosque and the surroundings with the "channel" of sea in front of the hotel. The rooms are large and well equipped and decorated with taste. Could be more storage space though. The room cleaning is ompeccable and operate constantly. They visit the rooms 3-4 times a day.

The breakfast is served either in the Horizon Club lounge (for club rooms) or in the Sofra restaurant. We chose the larger assortment in the Sofra restaurant as we felt that the club lounge was more limited. Breakfast is excellent and is something is missing, just ask for it. Even the coffee is great. Service is also great and a special word for the hostess "Snow" who made the experience even better.

The Horizon Club offers free "high tea" and cocktails in the evening, which is generous in every way. The service here is also fantastick and even if you visit the lounge on the wrong hours they arrange something for you. A special mention to "Princess" who really would walk the extra mile for us.

The beach is not mentioned in many reviews but it is quite ok. Almost every beach hotel in Abu Dhabi has a beach on a creek or a channel and not with open sea (except for Emirates palace). However the beach is clean as well as the water and a sufficient amount of sunbeds for all guests. Free supply of water and cold towels of course.

We normally like to walk about the surroundings of hotels and the only flaw would in this case be the location which do not offer any such possibilities. You have to take taxi wherever you go. Taxi is however very cheap.

The hotel has a number of restaurants of its own and a "souk" at the premises with a few more restaurants. Sofra buffé restaurant is excellent and also Pearls and Caviar. Shang palace has a complicated menu and we couldn't find our way to what we wanted. All restaurants are good, but avoid "the Meat Company" in the Souk.

Over all an excellent stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 January 2013

Wow what a place!! My husband & I stayed here on a stop over to the UK. We arrived at the Hotel at 6.30am and even though check in is usually 2pm, they quickly organised our room for us. I would strongly recommend paying the extra and joining the Horizon Club. Benefits include better placed rooms, breakfast, high tea, cocktail hour. The rooms are amazing. Ours had a great balcony & overlooked the canal and across to the huge mosque. The food & restaurants are fabulous. The pool is great & I also recommend the rooftop Health Club view which is more private & very relaxing. Chi Spa is also a must! I can't say one bad word about the Shangri-la, we were just sad to leave

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 6 January 2013

We stayed late December, and saw the New Year in at this lovely hotel. It's a true 5 star hotel where service is exceptional. Food in the main Sofra restaurant is of the highest quality for a buffet style that I have ever experienced. Variety every night with everything tasting freshly cooked. I don't know how they do it. The breakfast is amazing.
Views over the pristinely manicured beach to the Grand Mosque are beautiful. Some reviewers have made very negative comments on noise from jet skiers and military air traffic, and whilst I agree that they are there, the jet skis aren't that noisy, and the air traffic is very light (albeit the Hercules planes are quite loud). Whilst lazing on the beach being waited on by the very pleasant beach staff, the distractions are mild.
The Souk shopping centre is next door so it only takes minutes to get to, and it is small but has an interesting selection of shops, bars and restaurant - the latter we did not try due to the quality of the Shangri La's own restaurants.
Finally, we saw in the New Year in the Hotel, with fabulous food, entertainment and company, listening to the band that a certain royal couple had at their wedding in 2012. A really special night in a great hotel.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family