“Fantastic Relaxing Hotel”

Ranked #15 of 127 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Scotland
“Fantastic Relaxing Hotel”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

My wife and I spent 4 nights here in September last year and were more than impressed with the relaxed environment and the impeccable service we encountered during our visit. Arriving slightly earlier than the 2 o'clock check in time we were pleasantly surprised to be given an upgrade to a Premier room and found the room to be very spacious and comfortable. The breakfast was an amazing spread of all you could imagine and we were very relaxed sitting by the pool each morning. The standards in this hotel are exceptional from the food to the service and the general atmosphere around the place is as you would expect in a Shangri La hotel. We are due to come back to Abu Dhabi in August this year and will certainly be considering a return to this hotel.
The Souk next door also has some fantastic restaurants and is a very pleasant place for a stroll in the evening. If you are considering Abu Dhabi I would say Qaryat Al Beri is a great choice.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (535)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2014

My family and I stayed here over the Christmas holiday. Fantastic service (snowmen on the beach!) and very spacious rooms. Be warned - the buffet breakfast is fantastic, and the evening buffet was also really good. Some reviews criticize the location, but we found it pretty good - only a few minutes' cab ride to either Yas Island or the Corniche.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank shargs
Manchester, England
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Stayed four nights at the end of a five week trip to Australia and New Zealand visiting relatives for Christmas. This was to be the perfect way to end our trip with four days of 5* luxury, sun and relaxation.
There are lots of good aspects to the Shangri la and, to be fair, reading previous reviews, it would appear that our experience is very much in the minority. So the good: the hotel is beautiful, the rooms are spacious, well appointed and spotlessly clean. There are two beach areas and several swimming pools and lots of dining options. The food (particularly breakfast) is excellent quality albeit it hideously expensive.There is also a nearby souk which offers an alternative to dining in the hotel.
The not so good: Our stay didn't get off to the best of starts when, nothing to do with the hotel, our Emirates driver didn't know the way to the hotel, seemingly had no GPS, and eventually dropped us off at the wrong place. We were quickly transferred to reception by golf buggy and proceeded to check in. We were informed our room wasn't ready, yes it was 7.30am but the hotel were aware that we would be checking in at that time. We were told we would have to wait a couple of hours but were able to use the hotel lounge or swimming pool during that time. To be honest, that wasn't a great thrill given that we had travelled from Christchurch to Sydney then to Dubai and on to Abu Dhabi over the previous 24 hours. All we really wanted to do, and had expected to be able to do, was get our heads down for a few hours and then take a shower. No alternative was offered until I made it clear I was unhappy at which point we were told we could use a room that had been adapted for less able bodied guests. Fortunately, because we had a very early check out we were able to transfer our breakfast from our check out day to our arrival day. Again, unlike many reviewers, there was no offer of a complimentary breakfast, or even coffee, until I asked the question. When we went to our temporary room it was unclear whether the room was waiting to be serviced or not. We made use of the shower but certainly would not have used the bed. Having had our breakfast, having been assured by the restaurant manager that the charge would not appear on our bill, we returned to reception some 2 hours later. we were then told that we would not be able to check in until the designated time of 2pm as there would be no room available until that time. Having wasted an hour wandering around we returned to the lounge, sitting there, one thing was apparent, no one else looked like they were hanging around waiting for their room to be available. Eventually I spoke to the relations manager and a room was available about 12.30, some 5 hours after we arrived. Because of the disruption to our day we were both shattered by early evening and ordered room service. They delivered the wrong thing, not a problem because we had only ordered a pizza and it would be simple to put the mistake right in matter of minutes. This is where the hotel gets its priorities wrong, the room service manager arrived with the pizza doing his best Uriah Heap impression and offering a selection of cakes by means of apology. Firstly, I didn't need an apology because it wasn't a big deal and secondly I didn't want the cakes. What I really wanted was for someone to try as hard as that when I really needed it at 7.30 in the morning. On the Friday, the last day of our stay, the hotel was effectively taken over by the wedding guests of an Indian multi millionaire. Breakfast, instead of being served in the main restaurant which seats 350, was served in the Horizon Club room which seats about 50. There was not enough seating, not enough food, not enough selection of food, not enough staff and what cooked food was available was barely warm. From mid day to 4.30 the beach directly opposite our room hosted a beach party for the wedding guests. Any form of relaxation was impossible as loudspeakers blasted out Gangam style Bollywood music at full volume. As you've probably guessed, the first days breakfast was charged to my bill when we came to check out!
Maybe we were just unlucky on this occasion but we certainly came away feeling disappointed with our stay. A lot depends on how you like your 'customer service' delivered. Personally I like the emphasis to be on getting the important things right first time. I don't need two girls to open the door for me every time I leave the hotel (just get an automatic door) or for a string of people to ask me if I'm having a good day when I haven't even got a room yet or for someone to polish my sunglasses.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor. Our room, 210, has an uninterrupted view of several palm trees and...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
ArbindKS, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Qaryat Al Beri, Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 26 January 2014
Dear Eastlands, thank you for taking the time to post your review at TripAdvisor. We sincerely appreciate your constructive comments and we will take your feedback as a tool for process improvement. Please drop me an email at arbindk.shrestha@shangri-la.com as we would like to know more about your stay. Thank you once again and I look forward to hear from you. Best regards
San Diego, California
Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

I live in Abu Dhabi, I found the Ess Lounge a few months ago. (An outdoor shisha lounge right on the beach, with drinks and food.) I can't even begin to describe how amazing the staff is there. Every time I go the staff is so friendly, helpful and always smiling! They go out of their way to make you happy! (Not just at the lounge, but also throughout the hotel!) Their service is beyond 5 star! And the grounds are beautiful!

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Sgl2319
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Very good , really 5 star hotel ! Everything is perfect - reception , service , food , staff is very friendly and helpful . Rooms are very comfortable . You feel like at home . I travel a lot and stay mostly in 5 star , can tell that this hotel is one of the best in my experience !

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Loved every minute of our stay. Staff are excellent. Nothing is too much trouble for them. Huge rooms.If you like glitzy boutique type hotels this is not for you. But if it's luxury and style this is the place to be. This hotel is an oasis of calm. We shall definitely be returning

Room Tip: Ask not to be opposite Disco
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

1 Thank joywoodford
State of Sao Paulo
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I and my husband have stayed there in January, just for 2 days. We had an upgrade to a beautiful suite, all the staff is very professional and kind. I 've never had a breakfast like that before, It is the best in quality, taste and variety.
The only point of attention is it location, that is very far from the city center.

Room Tip: We had a room with a view to the Mosque. It is fantastic!