“Superb holiday” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 130 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Superb holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed a very relaxing week at this excellent hotel. Attentive and friendly staff, nothing was too much trouble. The hotel is clean and well looked after. We would be very happy to recommend it and we are very fussy about hotels!

Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (516)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

I chose to stay with Shangri-La Abu Dhabi, because of all the good comments here on tripadvisor. Unfortunatly, my experience was not as good. I'm holder of the Essence Card, a loyalty program which gives you 20% discount on room bookings. I contacted the reservation desk via mail several times, to book my room with the 20% discount, but never got a reply. Because I suppose they were busy, I tried to give them a call. During this telephone conversation I was promised to receive a reply and rates on the rooms directly. Again, I didn't receive an email. At the end of the day, I finally received a reply. I got to hear that the hotel was fully booked. I was very dissapointed, because I was already trying to contact them one week. But the most beautiful part was, that when I checked on the website of Shangri-La, there were still many rooms available. When I replied this to them, I again had to wait 5 hours for a reply. The next excuse was, that they could not give me the discount because there was high occupation during the period I wanted to stay. I'm very dissapointed by this service, I subscribed for this loyalty program because I planned to stay a lot with Shangri-La/Traders. I don't think that don't replying on emails, just to postpone and don't give the discount, is the kind of service you can expect for a 5 star hotel. I heard many good things about the Shangri-La Abu Dhabi, but unfortunatly I cannot confirm the good service.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Marie07038
ArbindKS, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Qaryat Al Beri, Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear Marie 07038, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us as the event unfolded regarding your room reservation. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience and annoyance brought about this incident. I would like to know more about your experience and hope you can get in touch with me via email at arbindk.shrestha@shangri-la.com. I look forward to hear from you. Best regards
Billingshurst, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

We had a very short (3 days), but most enjoyable stay here, if you need a bit of TLC and a rest, this is the place to go to, gorgeous room overlooking the pool and beach, HEAVENLY smelling toiletries, view of the magical mosque from your bedroom window, delicious breakfasts, eucalyptus scented cold towels given out whilst relaxing by the pool, along with courtesy fruit juice, fresh fruit, sunglasses being cleaned, and attentive pool side staff. 10/10 English High tea, lovely evening meals. Attentive, happy, and very polite staff. I could not fault it and WANT TO GO BACK!! Lovely experience ....

Room Tip: We had a beach view room, overlooking the smaller of the pools, room no. 436. Perfect.
1 Thank Angela F
Varna, Bulgaria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

I had a short but enjoyable stay at the Shangri-La. ! Though I had to fo through a very busy and tiring day, the hotel, its people and the surroundings made my stay an enjoyable experience!Top value for money!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

We stayed here for a couple of nights at the end of our honeymoon. As with most Shangri-La's that I've stayed at the hotel and service is fantastic. The food was brilliant with plenty of choice, they staff very helpful and the room lovely. We had a great night at the roof top bar which they take you to via a golf cart; I can't remember the name but worth asking about and going to for a late drink with some good DJs - the toilets are very impressive with the mosaic tiles! The attached mall isn't very big but worth a wander around and the gym and nearby pool was well equipped. The staff by the beach were great - especially the regular delivery of ice cold flannels!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
exmouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

Would recommend this Hotel quality service great food and location. In traditional style in the UAE you are well and truly looked after. All we can say is spoil yourself or surprise yourself. We will be back without a doubt breakfast on the terrace makes a must. Decent gym and spa too.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

Abu Dhabi was not at the top of my list as a place to visit but having stayed at the Shangri-La my opinion has totally changed. We stayed as a stopover on our return from Hong Kong where we stayed at both the Shangri-La Kowloon and the Island Shangri-La and the service was excellent. However Shangri-La Abu Dhabi surpassed both these hotels to the extent that we will return to Abu Dhabi as a sole holiday staying at the Shangri-La. The warmth of the staff and the facilities and views are wonderful. Taxis are cheap and so it is easy to get around the city. I would recommend the excursion to the desert for 4WD sand bashing followed by the bedouin Dinner in the desert. Great fun. Tip: whilst soft drinks are free a beer will set you back €25.00!! A
Cocktail at the hotel was only €9.00.!! Overall a fabulous stay.

Room Tip: try to get either a terrace room overlooking the pool or a higher floor overlooking the pool for fan...