Shangri-La Hotel, Qaryat Al Beri, Abu Dhabi
Rainbow(Abu Dhabi)
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
2,654 results
All reviewshorizon clubgrand mosquevietnamese restaurantbord eausofra bldchi spapearls caviarinfinity poolpremier roomchocolate fountainjet skinearby soukcool boxsheikh zayed mosquebeautiful hotelthe main hotelbreakfast buffet
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 June 2009

Having tried several downtown hotels, chose the Shangri-la after a magnificent business lunch there on a previous trip. The location may not be for everyone, but it was actually ideal for me. Most of my work was at the Mussafah industrial area or back & forth to the airport on short side trips. Avoiding the often painful drive to & from the city was a real bonus.
We found the service outstanding - the equal of the 3 Dubai Jumeirah properties we've stayed at. I was actually amazed at the number of staff available for any given area of the hotel.
One of our keys became deprogrammed which was fixed with a simple replacement. 5 mins after getting back to the room, 2 service engineers arrived to check that the lock wasn't defective. Porter service in both directions was prompt, as was the punctual room service.
The rooms themselves are the equal to or better than Al Qasr & high speed internet is now free (as it should be considering the room rates). Speaking of which there was a 40% reduction from our stay in late May to early June, only 2 days later. Maybe based on vacancy rate?
The Sofra buffet deserves special mention for both the range & quality of food. Seafood is freshly cooked to order if desired, as are the Arabic grills. There are slight changes each night, so the variety is mind-boggling. The dessert bar looks like a Viennese conditorei shop & has 3 choices of chocolate fountains.
We're not the types who like smothering service or need heavy pampering and found the service to be a good balance without being over the top.
It's a truly relaxing place to return to after a gruelling day, especially with the excellent pool & beach areas other noisy Abu Dhabi hotels can't compete with. Our room had a great view of the Zayed Mosque. After staying at several far inferior & equally priced downtown Abu Dhabi hotels, this will now be my regular base.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 May 2009

Spent one night here for a girly get away in April. Hotel is gorgeous, looks out over onto the Sheikh Zayed mosque - very peaceful hearing the call to prayer.Restaurants in hotel were quit e pricey but we jumped a golf buggy (you can get an abra as it's connected by waterways) to a souk next door - there's a good range of eateries in here: Meat Company, Sho Chos.
Only problem was that we booked a room for 3, when we got there they wanted to charge us for an extra bed - which wasn't clear at all when booking. in the end they waived the fee.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 April 2009

This recent hotel of the Shangri La Group has it all : stunning rooms (go for the premier rooms) with a refined arabian decor, marble bathrooms fit for a king, magnificent views (especially at night) of the Abu Dhabi Mosque and infinity pool. As for the restaurants, we went to the market style buffet restaurant. I can truly say that the food on offer here is prepared and presented up to Michelin star level. The hotel also features a dazzling lobby bar with elegant (female...) service and gondolas on an intimate waterway escort you to the hotel's souk. We only stayed one night at this deluxe property (stopover on our way to Bangkok - Shangri La as well !) but consider going back for a longer stay.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank homefleuri
Reviewed 27 March 2009

I stayed here 1 night in a premier room. The property itself is beautiful but the service here especially in the restaurants is FAR from polished.

When we checked in they had our room preference incorrect so we had to wait for the room to be cleaned. The desk agent then gave us our keys. She then proceeded to ask what time we were checking out which I thought was odd.

The lobby here is on the 3rd level and the signs in the lifts are difficult to read. We found "our" room and started to unpack and then noticed there were someone elses items in the closet and then we realised that we were given an occupied room!

On our way to the lobby we were met by the same desk agent with a new set of keys. We were then asked again what time we planned to check out which I thought was now rude as we had not even gotten to "our" room yet! The internet is not the easiest to log in and I had to call for instructions. As it is now free I fail to see why it is still so complicated.

The room was of excellent size. My only real call out besides the internet is the shower reeked of mildew. It looked clean but it stunk.

We read about the restaurant in the hotel information book so we headed down there for a late lunch. The gentleman at the desk told us the restaurant was "closed". We said that the hotel book said it was open but he said it was "closed". We started to head back to the room and asked another staff member what restauarants were open and she said the restauant was open for Ala Carte but the Buffet was closed so we headed back. We had some one else seat us. We ordered and waited a long time and when it arrived it was incorrect. The guy at the next table had already sent his food back twice because it was incorrect as well. He was livid and I was getting there.

We ate at the Shang Palace or dinner and the food was very good and the service was good.

The next morning we went down for breakfast and were seated and not given any menu's. We ordered our coffee and tea which was delivered and waited a good 10 min and no one approached us with menu's so we figured it was only buffet so we headed up there. We got our food only to come back to find the table cleared! I thought the buffet was overpriced.

On the way back to the room we were asked again this time by the room attendant what time we were checking out!

I was ready to go at this point.

The pool was very busy but we did not use it as we were working. The beach looked nice. There was a large balcony. I never made it on the gondola as I could not find the entrance for it and there is no mention of it in information book.

Needless to say I was not impressed with this place. I have stayed at several Shangri La's and the service here was the worst. The room rate here was also one of the highest so I felt cheated.

This hotel totally lacks what makes a Shangri La a Shangri La which is service

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
4  Thank Bo94114
Reviewed 5 February 2009

When I booked online in March 2008, the Shangri-La's website offered two rates, one for room only and another (substantially higher and called their "Value Rate") which included 6pm checkout, complimentary breakfast, free airport limousine transfers, unlimited laundry and dry cleaning, international calls and faxes at cost and free local calls. For the hotel to describe the breakfasts as "complimentary" and the airport transfers as "free" is more than a little cheeky since they are well and truly costed into the overall rate. As ours was a split stay of 9 days and 5 days, with a gap of 9 days and a late night flight between the two, I opted for the Value Rate which, in the event, proved to be no more than fair value for money. The real benefit was the 6pm checkout, which the hotel immediately extended to 7pm on asking for our flight departure time. Other than this, using metered airport taxis, and paying for breakfasts and services such as laundry, would have worked out quite a bit cheaper.

Having travelled on an overnight flight from London, we arrived at the hotel just after eight in the morning and were taken immediately to our room. There was no question of waiting until after 12 noon before being able to check-in. On our return, we again arrived around 8am and were again taken straight to our room, even though the hotel was very busy. Whether this had anything to do with our being on the Value Rate, I don't know.

The rooms were spacious with high ceilings, well furnished and very comfortable, had excellent beds and lacked nothing. State-of-the-art TV and DVD player, large illuminated walk-in wardrobe with lots of hangers, cunningly concealed kettle, tea and coffee, china mugs, saucers and plates, nice cutlery lots of glassware and a well stocked minibar. An equally spacious and well stocked bathroom had a separate walk-in shower compartment and another housing WC and bidet. Attention to detail was impressive as was the standard of housekeeping. Each day rooms were cleaned as though being prepared for new arrivals and the evening "turn-down" service was much more than that.

The several restaurants meant that, even for a stay of 9 days, there was lots of variety and choice, and the dinner buffet in the Sofra Bld had an amazing range of dishes. I felt that dinner here was excellent value although wines came at eye-watering prices. It was in this restaurant that the buffet breakfast was set out and, once again, there was a fine selection but sadly, with the exception of egg dishes cooked to order by duty chefs, much of the food which should have been hot was barely warm.

There must be few nationalities which are not represented by the staff of this hotel who are mainly young, efficient, polite and friendly. On the whole, service was not just reliable but was very good indeed and we look forward to returning to the Shangri-La in the future provided that there is no total collapse of the British Pound! Overall, this would have been incredibly good value had the rate of exchange been at the same level during our stay as when I booked last March. In the event, the Pound depreciated by more than 35 per cent against the United Arab Dirham during this time.

On a final note, when booking I asked for a high level room and stressed that I did not want one at low level. The room allocated was on the 4th floor, which was ideal, but had we been on the ground floor (rooms starting with the number 1) we would have been most unhappy as these rooms have views of passing guests and staff from their windows and terraces.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple