“If you appreciate good steaks....this is the place!”
Review of BOA Steakhouse

Ranked #12 of 2,122 Restaurants in Abu Dhabi
Price range: US$34 - US$98
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: BOA Steakhouse artfully combines a bold, colourful environment with modern-day steakhouse flare. Steaks and chops include a selection of prime Omaha beef such as the Dry Aged New York Strip and the "Bone In" Rib Eye, as well as Premium Australian Blackmore Wagyu, all served with a choice of rubs and house made sauces, including BOA's own J-1 sauce. A full complement of traditional steakhouse sides is offered, including classic caesar salad made tableside and lobster twice baked potato. The menu also offers tempting poultry dishes and superb seafood options plus a wide variety of sandwiches and salads at lunchtime. There is an extensive cocktail menu and wine list.
Reviewed 5 June 2014

As a steak lover, I had been eagerly awaiting the opening of Boa, and it didn’t disappoint. This is a place that takes its steaks seriously, and it shows. The rib eye was amazing, but if you had to pick one…go for the Wagyu beef strip. The sides were simple but delicious, mash potatoes with garlic and twice baked potato are both winners. Expensive, but well worth it, and the sort of dining experience that you will remember for awhile….

BOA_Steakhouse, General Manager at BOA Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Dear Scott,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a positive review of your dining experience at BOA Abu Dhabi, it is appreciated. We do take our steak very seriously, sourcing only the best. So happy to hear you enjoyed the Wagyu beef strip, mash potatoes and twice baked potato. On behalf of the entire BOA Abu Dhabi team, we hope to have the pleasure of seeing you again in the near future to try some of the other cuts.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

First, straight off the bat..., our food was excellent and delicious. From bread roll to baked Alaska via two delicious steaks and the sides. On a par with any of the top steak venues in AD

Wine service was slick if a bit over dramatised and if you look very carefully there are good wines under Dh300 - beautifully served

Quirky vibe, a welcome novelty for Abu Dhabi - greeted by 3 Charlies' Angels like girls which was not unattractive but as the only option is to go straight to your table (no bar) seems a a tad extravagant.

Understand it recently opened and they are trying very hard to please.

Prices are top-end of expensive. There are some good value options on the menu and , yes, the meat is flown from the USA, but you can easily pay Dh400+ (>$100) for a steak from the rest of the menu

Service very attentive, frequently competent but bordering on the over attentive

One strange event was a rather disorientated house-keeping staff member wondering through the restaurant with an over-sized pack of toilet rolls looking for the washroom; a bit distracting at best - put that down to teething problems

This has great potential as a top location but for us, the gravitas was usurped by glamour - as I said, just a different vibe.

If you go there remember your "Entertainer discount vouchers" - we didn't :(

Dear Mike,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such an extensive review of your dining experience at BOA Abu Dhabi, it is appreciated. I have shared your comments regarding the food with the culinary team and they were delighted to hear the entire meal was satisfying. Our apologies for not being offered to sit at the bar prior to your dining experience, this is not the normal approach. We have a beautiful cocktail menu that we would love for you to try. Thank you for your recommendation regarding the over attentive service, we will address this to make sure it does not come off as invasive. We will also ensure from now on the bathrooms are stocked at the beginning of the night instead of during service. Apologies for the distraction.

On behalf of the entire BOA Abu Dhabi team, we hope to have the pleasure of seeing you again in the near future for another dining experience and a cocktail drink at the bar.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Front of house everything looks good, very cool/trendy place, attractive staff etc. However beyond that thin vaneer the cracks are evident.
Like the previous poster said, the staff seemed somewhat uncomfortable and untrained. Wrong meals delivered to the wrong people etc, and even put a pot of ketchup on the table saying it was peppercorn sauce. OK, the place has only been open for about a week so you can understand this to an extent.
The food however is where this expensive restaurant comes undone.
I had kobe steak, which at AED 425 (US$115/GBP70) just for the steak (sides extra) should have been the most delicious, mouthwatering steak I had ever had (like other kobe steaks I have had previously). Actually it was a terrible steak, could have been any old steak, really not very tasty at all. First it came nearly raw when I ordered med-well so went back, had to wait for second one which came med-rare but I had enough of waiting by this point so I ate it. The accompanying french fries were so overcooked that I could not stab a fork into them, had to eat them with my fingers.
I tend to compare steak restaurants to the Blue Grill as I have always had a great steak there, unfortunately the Boa is nowhere near the Blue Grill in terms of the steak, not even in the same league.
The evening at Boa was basically just a waste of (a lot of) money. No excuse for poor steak at a steakhouse.
Will I return? No chance, there are several far superior steakhouses to go to in Abu Dhabi.

3  Thank DLMcClements
BOA_Steakhouse, Marketing Team at BOA Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear DLMcClements,

I have shared your feedback with the BOA team regarding the inconsistency of service you experienced. Our deepest apologies that the service came off as uncomfortable and the staff seemed untrained, this was not the intention. The team is committed to providing high service standards associated with the brand and will continue to strive towards meeting them by learning from feedback such as yours. The culinary team has also been informed of your feedback regarding the temperature of the Kobe Steak and french fries. They will look at perfecting the cooking techniques to help execute at a consistency. I believe the manager has contacted you to address these issues. If you feel you have any further comments please don’t hesitate to call him back or email marketing@boaabudhabi.ae.

On behalf of the entire BOA Abu Dhabi team, we hope to have the pleasure of seeing you again in the near future to experience the venue in a different light.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Arriving for one of our frequent stays at the Anantara Hotel & SPA Eastern Mangroves the first impression of the BOA was more like "hmm, cheap..." considering the huge banner on top of the Jannah hotel entrance. On the other hand, it did the trick to lure us in.

Sense of welcome: Are you open? The young lady in too high heels and too tight dress replied with a "yes". The place was empty but then it was only 1800 and few dine so early here. Walking in my first thought, dressed in flip flops - shorts and polo, ouch we're under dressed but not one word from the hostess guiding us to the table.

The menu was presented with the information that there is no alcohol service today, unlike at some other places the ladies here were able to give a brief explanation why and this although they were still new(er) in town.

They have fresh juices, real fresh...? I almost went for it but since I had doubts I kept on digging esp when our all favourite Barakat bottle walked by and a bit later one could hear a blender for the next "fresh" order which apparently was "Barakat fresh only", but at least they were honest about it when we clarified.

Andrea our waitress appeared from the beginning on quite competent, hard to find in the Region. She knew her menu and knew, unlike her male colleague, when the lady of the table asked a question the response is to be addressed to her and not me. The male colleague had to be corrected trice till he got it...

The atmosphere is modern and who ever wrapped up this concept didn't twist and turn the coin too long. Not sure if I like the metal cage to sit in but it's an interesting design. Most I liked the manzanite trees. Overall I like the contemporary style but it probably was a bit too empty even if this improved the moment they dimmed the light. The tunes later improved the atmosphere further.

Uniforms seemed nice and quite simple although the one or other of the young ladies seemed to have understated their sizes. Right, must be the laundry shrinking the uniforms ;-)

Starter: The Wedge salad with ice lettuce, tomatoes and blue cheese dressing was well presented and tasty. The waitresses advise the blue cheese dressing being very blue was well placed but we loved it.
My tuna tartar came in a "dog style food napf" but our waitress could well laugh about the comment and didn't get defensive or anything like it. In fact, when I repeated the comment in more detail after trying to eat from it the comment was passed to the Chef.

Main course: The Salmon was a little "fried and soaked", not like burned but soaked of oil which is it was presented skin side up trying to cover up for it. Short, it didn't look as nice as it could but was still ok to eat.
My corn fed bird with the special touch of blue cheese crust was a stunner and also the surf addition of two prawns were yummy. My initial request of lemon juice triggered well presented lemon halfs during the dinner so I didn't have to nag again for it.

The dessert: A mascarpone cheesecake was nice and well presented again. Espresso was actually Nespresso and while I like the same at home one would think a place like this could have a barista with a real espresso machine skipping the capsules, on the other hand this at least warrants a consistency and one knows what you get.

Pricing as usual in the UAE on the high end, the dinner for two with starter, main-course and one shared dessert was $200 including a 10 % tip. If you go for the the usual steak(s) one would have in this place then you're probably talking about $250+. Plus any alcoholic beverages as we were "dry" today with good "Barakat fresh watermelon juice".

To sum it up, I would usually say a 4-5 star experience which finds confirmation in the usual BOA reviews elsewhere, considering this is UAE I however opted for 5 stars. Andreas as well learned throughout the dinner is Romanian, she kept a nice conversation going throughout the dinner without the usual annoying "MamSir", hard to find... Well done Andrea!

We were informed the restaurant was part of TDIC. Mabrook! Please introduce more experiences like this to the UAE dining scene.

It remains to be seen if they can keep this standard, I must admit it also seemed a bit we were lucky with Andrea serving us. We'll most certainly find out in the weeks and months to come.

1  Thank RolandUO
BOA_Steakhouse, Marketing Team at BOA Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear Roland,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such an extensive (somewhat rare in the tripadvisor world) and constructively positive review of your dining experience at BOA Abu Dhabi, it is appreciated. Firstly, I hope you enjoyed your stay in the Eastern Mangroves Anantara Hotel & Spa over the long weekend from Dubai. Glad the banner was able to grab your attention so you could join us for an early dinner. Sorry to hear it was on the dry night. The salmon would have been perfect with a nice oaked chardonnay and a robust red for the blue cheese crusted corn fed chicken or white depending on your taste.

The concept of the restaurant is very much in line with the LA brand, while keeping its own unique aspects. The emptiness look has been addressed before and we are currently looking at adding some colour in areas to help with this. The team is trying to make sure everyone has the same level of knowledge about the food and service. We are very lucky to have Andrea to help with that. I have shared your comments with the culinary team and they were delighted to hear that you enjoyed the wedge salad, tuna tartar, corn fed chicken and mascarpone cheesecake. Apologies for the oily salmon. I have passed on your comments regarding this and the dog style food bowl to chef to be addressed. The Nespresso machine was chosen for the exact reason you mentioned but I have also passed on your comment regarding the opportunity to have a barista prepared coffee. We will most definitely aim to maintain the high standards set forth. There are quite a few more experiences under the same partnership, so thank you for the comment.

On behalf of the entire BOA Abu Dhabi team, thank you so much for all of your comments. We hope to have the pleasure of seeing you again on your next stay at Eastern Mangroves.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

The location of this restaurant is prime, overlooking to beautiful eastern mangroves. We enjoyed pre dinner drinks on the promenade which was really pleasant and there was a great selection of cocktails.

The service is very, very poor at BOA and the staff are obviously unexperienced and untrained. Having to get up form your table and pour the water and wine is unexpected at a rather expensive restaurant. The steaks served were average at best while the seafood was bland. The waiters seemed awkward and out of place, serving the wrong dishes to each of us.

The bill came to 4000AED for 5 people (wine and 2 courses each) which is expensive for a relatively average meal with poor service.

Our thoughts may be that the quality will improve as time goes by and the staff become a little more polished but in the meantime, we'll be eating our steaks elsewhere.

Dear Rick G,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of your experience at BOA Steakhouse Abu Dhabi, it is appreciated. I have shared your feedback with the BOA team regarding the service standards. We apologize that you received wrong dishes and had to leave your table during the meal. The team is committed to providing high service standards associated with the brand and will continue to strive towards meeting them by learning from feedback such as yours. The culinary team has also been informed of your feedback regarding the steak and seafood, and will be looking to identify the components that need to be altered. The manager is eager to rectify the situation with you. If you are comfortable with this, please do provide your contact details to marketing@boaabudhabi.ae so we may connect with you.