“Not a good hotel”
Review of Oryx Hotel

Ranked #78 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Some of the staff were not helpfull at all & were rude..The rooms were not as advertised. A family of four with one double bed..........
Then was brought one single for my 12 & 9 year old to share. The pool was not clean & the pool beds were dirty...
Will never use this hotel again.......
Hotel not good but Abu Dhabi was a GREAT place...

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
AlDiarOryxHotel, Management at Oryx Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2012

Dear Suziej,

Thank you for recent stay at Oryx Hotel during your trip to Dubai recently. We regret that you had less than a pleasant stay with us. At Oryx Hotel, it is our goal to ensure a great stay experience for our guests with our attentive customer care and service. We value the feedback of our guests as it paves path for the further improvement of our products and services. However, please be assured that we have made a note of all your grievances and would take necessary steps to provide you a better stay in your next visit.

We thank you once again for your review and hope to welcome you again.

Reviewed 14 July 2012

Please if you have complain, do not waste your time telling it. It is just a complete waste of time. I guess the management does not really care. I complained this Faisal and in general the service of the buffet restaurant for the degrading treatment that I had experienced (I literally went there and left 5 minutes after). I spoke to this girl from the reception explaining what happened and she was very sympathetic (that is what I thought) and she said she will hand over the complain to the FO Manager early in the morning because all managers are off (seriously!!!???). She told me I will receive a call in the morning. Fast forward, I checked out and I did not hear anyone acknowledging my complain and even ask to pay the salad and orange juice that I took (OMG!!!). I paid without any issues but I swear to never go back to this 4 star hotel without any concern to their guest. And to Faisal of the buffet restaurant who literally jumped out to greet and assist the 2 white couple, sir, like me, you are Asian too. Is it because I am Asian that is why you will make me feel that I am not worth of giving your assistance. No one even bothered to pour water on my glass while you even took food for the two white people? No one even bothered to tell me which restaurant I was, when you immediately explain the menu, ask which seats to this 2 white people? Mr. Faisal, again let me repeat again, you are Asian same like me, I hope you or your family will not be treated the same way you have degraded me and make me feel unwelcome. To the management, is this really how a 4 star hotel treats your guest? you just simply don't care I guess. I must admit your rooms are really huge for a city hotel but room alone is not the only reason why people stay a hotel room.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Espine
AlDiarOryxHotel, Management at Oryx Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Oryx Hotel during your trip to Dubai recently. We deeply regret your unfortunate experience with one of our staff members at our property. At Oryx Hotel it is our philosophy to ensure a great stay experience for our guests with our attentive customer care and service. As an international business and leisure hotel we welcome guests from all over the world with various backgrounds and would never discriminate with any of them at any point of time.

It really disheartens us to know that you felt otherwise on this occasion, however please be assured that we have made note of your grievances and would take all necessary steps to ensure that next time your experience here would be a wonderful and memorable one.

We thank you once again for your review and hope to welcome you to Dubai in future.

Reviewed 13 June 2012

We travelled to Abu Dhabi from the other end of the Emirates for a day sightseeing. It's a 3 hour drive so we decided on an overnight stay in a hotel with easy access to Abu Dhabis main attraction with the intention of using the next day to see the city. We chose the Oryx hotel due to its very cheap price tag. Unfortunately, we did not realise the price would reflect the level of service.

We began our trip by arriving in Abu Dhabi and picking a random Arab off the street and driving around the city with him in the back of the car giving directions; personally I found this quite amusing, but it wasn't what we wanted after our long drive and had the map not been so vague with its directions we would have checked in around 45 minutes earlier.

On arriving at the hotel, check in was very fast and easy, so we were almost willing to let go the trouble we had finding the hotel. How ever, I forgot something in our hire car and asked the valet for our keys. He gave me the keys, which I tried to use to open the locked car. It wouldn't open, so I called my friend who also tried and also failed to open the car. The valet then tried, then when the car wouldn't open for him either he turned to my friend, pointed at me, and accused me very rudely "SHE did something, it was HER, SHE broke it"- I am well brought up so decided to keep my mouth shut but I found this found this very rude and an unacceptable way to address a customer... especially when we went back to reception and the valet went away then came back looking very sheepish and admitted he'd given us the wrong set of keys! He didn't even apologize until I told him too!

When we got to our room, we were initially very impressed by the space & cleanliness, especially the huge bathoom. We liked that there was an ash tray and matches, so being smokers, we decided to open the balcony doors and have a cigarette. How ever, we found the door was locked, so we called to reception to ask for a key and a man answered who told us that they would send one to us. Then a woman called back 5 minutes later and told us that there was no key as opening the doors is not allowed! Being that there were no other windows, we decided to go up to the rooftop pool (nice touch) and smoke there instead, which was very nice, but why provide an ash tray if you can't really smoke there anyway? While we are on the subject of the pool, I would like to suggest a later closing time. 5pm is far too early, particularly for late check in guests who may want to enjoy a swim to wind down after travelling.

I was looking forward to using the bathroom facilities as my own shower is tiny, so it was quite irritating that the door didn't close meaning that the floor got soaking wet and I had lots of fun trying to get to my towel while slipping and sliding across the wet tiles. My friend also noticed that the weighing scales were not working. I could also hear activity in the room next door very clearly, even while the shower was on- so don't go to the Oryx if privacy is important to you!

On a positive note, both my friend and I found our twin beds very comfortable and we both slept very well. The view over the city especially at night time is impressive. The room was very clean and other than the weighing scale, everything else worked fine. Over all, our stay was nothing to write home about, but it was comfortable and in good location to explore the city. We would stay here again, but not at a higher price

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank ABlondeFrikkie
Management response:Responded 11 July 2012

Dear Guest,

First of all thank you very much for choosing Oryx Hotel for your overnight stay. We appreciate that you spared time for your elaborate review of our property. We are pleased to know that you found your twin room, the view and the other amenities up to your expectations with the exception of the weighing scale. However we regret that you had an undesirable experience with the staff and we would immediately make a necessary inquiry about the described event.

We are once again grateful for your feedback and look forward to having you back at our property in future and would like to assure you of a better hospitality experience.

Reviewed 7 May 2012

location - not really along Corniche Rd., but within walking distance (a block or two). there's a Choithram supermarket and small grocery store on the next building, there's also a pharmacy/drugstore. we passed by some nice cafes in the area, though we didn't get a chance to try them. taxi drivers seem familiar with the hotel, and so it was easy to get there.

rooms - we booked two rooms, and both are really spacious, with sitting area (large coffee table + 2 leatherette armchairs). simple but tastefully furnished. husband & I had a king-size bed, while mom-in-law and bro-in-law had twin beds in their room, as requested. hotel was fully booked when we were there (there was a triathlon on that same weekend) so we ended up having rooms three floors apart -- a minor inconvenience. they have separate shower and tub in the bathroom. be careful though when taking a shower as water seeps out under the shower stall door, our bathroom floor got a bit flooded.

service - checkin was fast and guy was courteous, tried to accommodate our requests despite the late checkin. we called for additional drinking water for coffee/tea, and they sent a couple more complimentary bottles of water to our room immediately. upon checkout, girl at reception looked stern and didn't smile one bit. but checkout was fast so it was ok. if we plan to spend the weekend in Abu Dhabi again, we'd definitely consider staying in Oryx Hotel. this is way better than the previous hotel we booked in Abu Dhabi before.

Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
AlDiarOryxHotel, Management at Oryx Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for a generous review of our hotel. We are delighted to know that you and your family had a relaxing and comfortable stay.

The team is grateful for such a wonderful feedback. Reviews such as yours motivate the entire team to put in their best to deliver high levels of service. The inconvenience caused by the shower will be rectified immediately and we are thankful for bringing it to our notice.

We look forward to welcome you back with us on your continued visits.

Reviewed 19 April 2012

We needed a place to stay for one night on New Year's eve after the Coldplay concert. Good size rooms, clean, and very convenient walking distance to the Marina area, Emirates Palace, Emirates Towers, etc.
Breakfast is (very) average buffet. Really nice feature was the roof top pool, bar and casual dining area where we enjoyed a drink and a snack whilst enjoying the view.
Overall good value accomodation, and BTW the concert was great, if a little short.

Room Tip: It's away from the Corniche so don't expect ocean but there are some nice outlooks from most...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
AlDiarOryxHotel, General Manager at Oryx Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing the great review about your stay at the Oryx Hotel. We are delighted to know that you had a pleasant experience with us, particularly at the roof top pool, bar and dining area.

Your positive comments about the rooms, services and entertainment are received with gratitude by our team.

The comment regarding the breakfast buffet is taken in good spirit as we believe that the valuable feedback of our guests always benefit us.

We look forward to welcoming you back with us.

Reviewed 8 April 2012

Stayed at the Oryx during a conference for 5 days. The rooms are very spacious and clean. The view from the room window was great (room 1207). The bathroom was very spacious and it was a pleasure to use it!
The breakfast buffet was nice, but got repetitive. The hotel is situated very near to the corniche and has lots of supermarkets nearby.
Overall would definitely recommend it for a hasslefree stay.

• Stayed: February 2012
AlDiarOryxHotel, General Manager at Oryx Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at Oryx Hotel. We are delighted to learn that you had a pleasant experience with us. Located in the heart of the city, we continuously strive to offer both our business and leisure travelers the best blend of traditional hospitality and modern amenities.

We look forward to hosting you again at Oryx Hotel.

Reviewed 8 April 2012

Situated right next to Emirates Palace and Marina Mall, if you need to be right at this end of town then you can't get better value for money than the Oryx. The rooms are spacious, especially the bathroom which is massive, rooms are clean and well serviced, great views from the bar and swimming pool at the top of the building and check in was very fast, a rare quality in Abu Dhabi in my experience. Cost of the room was comparable to some of the much lower quality hotel apartments in the region so to have a hotel of this standard for the same price was fantastic. Only minor gripe was that the Internet was fairly expensive at 96dhs for 24h but considering the price of the room, it is no major deal.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at Oryx Hotel. We are delighted to learn that you had a pleasant stay with us. Being a premium accommodation option in Abu Dhabi, we provide our guests with par excellence facilities and services. Perhaps this information would help you understand the pricing of some of our services.

We look forward to welcoming you again at Oryx Hotel.