“truly a place that is at the birth of history” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Old City of Sanaa

Ranked #1 of 9 things to do in Sanaa
More attraction details
Owner description: The old, walled city has been inhabited for more than 2,500 years and contains a wealth of intact architectural gems.
Geneva, Switzerland
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“truly a place that is at the birth of history”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

Yemen is an amazing country, full stop. It is full of tradition, contradictions, new sights and smells, with beautiful old buildings that tower above you and a buzz and vibrancy that is difficult to ignore. I have visited all of the countries in the Arabian Peninsular over the years and I found nothing to compare with Yemen. Sanaa is a beautiful city and one that you have to put on your bucket list. I found the people friendly and generous with their time. If you choose to go do your homework and make sure you are always in a position to be safe. And ladies, you must cover up.

Visited March 2013

• Turkish first
Munich, Germany
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Sanaa - what a fairytale city”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

first i was afraid of going to yemen, but after reading so many travel blogs where all people just tell how friendly the jemeni people are, i decidet to take the risk and go. what can i say ? it is just amazing ! i had a great guide (mohammed) who just open his own business and he made sure my trip was going to be awsome. we also went to haraz mountains and i strongly recomment to do a few day trip to see places like al hajjarah, al hoteib, al mahweet. even it was not in our program, he suprised me by going off the path to show me a phantastic rock ! WOW what a fiew ! it is near thula.
if you have any questions, i am happy to help you out.
thomasderhuber@gmail.com

Visited December 2013
3 Thank th0mas1970
Gothenburg, Sweden
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Al Mamoon Travel Agency”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

We have used this agency to help us sorting out our visa, airport transfers, hotels in Sanna and guide for Sanna City.

We highly recommend this agency. We were in touch with Beatrice De Filippis who organised everything for us very professionally. The correspondence took place via email. The responses or prompt, full and professional. The tourist visas were processed fast and were scanned to our email on time. The transfers from and to the airport/hotel were timely, efficient, friendly. The city tour guide (Mr. Ahmed Abdul Khaleem) was excellent and knowledgeable.

Very good agency to use if you require good customer service!!!

Visited February 2014
5 Thank MAndersson-1970
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Amazing place! The history cries out from every pore.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

I spent a few days here with my father. We were taken on a guided tour by a lovely little boy in a white jacket. He showed us all the interesting sites, took us to the best stalls and we even got a trip up to the highest building in old sanaa to appreciate the views. It was magical.. made even more special by the fact that Yemen is definitely not a road most traveled. We had armed guards for our entire visit and covering up means covering up! No ankles on show..

Visited March 2013
4 Thank Cate287
Toronto, Canada
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Sana'a and Socotra with Incensecaravan.com!!!! Absolutely Safe!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

I was obsessed with all the pictures of the old Sana'a architecture I saw before the trip. When I arrived and saw the real thing it DID NOT disappoint me a bit!!! Everyone has to see it to believe it. Walking through the old town I felt very safe. It's the opposite of all the travel alerts. Yemeni people are very friendly. They always smile back to me. I did some souvenir shopping and shop keepers are honest and they are not crazy aggressive like other Arabic cities.

I was in Sana'a and Socotra Island for 7 days. Months before the trip I contacted a few Yemeni tour operator to send me quotes and itinerary for comparison. I ended up choosing Incense Caravan because Yahya the owner always replied my email within a day with very detail and updated information of the local political situation. As a relatively small Chinese guy who travelled alone I asked a lot of security and safety issue questions and Yahya answered with confidence and convinced me every time! Yahya arranged my entry visa, hotel (Sana'a and Socotra) and flight in/out from Socotra. He assigned Abdul as my local tour guide. Abdul has 30 years of tour guide experience and my tour was very informative. I felt like I was hanging out with a friend more than someone just telling me things and stories. On the last day Yahya came to my hotel again and asked me if the 7 day tour was okay. I was extremely comfortable with what Incense Caravan offered. I am already planning to go back end of this year.

Visited December 2013