“Great view. And that's it.”
Review of Burj al Salam

Burj al Salam
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Sanaa
Yerevan, Armenia
“Great view. And that's it.”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I didn't stay in the hotel, but I did visit the restaurant a couple of times during my 2 trips to Yemen. The view from the upper floor where the restaurant is located is the only thing that makes Burj al Salam a special place. And that's it. The food is nothing special, in addition it's quite expensive. You can have better Arabic food in plenty of restaurants in Sana'a, which may not look as fancy as the Burj. A month ago when I visited it (in June 2013) I didn't have much time to sit in the restaurant, but I wanted to take a couple of photos in 5 minutes. It was very unpleasant when the girl at the reception said I had to buy a ticket at 500 reals to go up to the restaurant even for 5 minutes. She said, I could take anything I liked for that amount from the restaurant (for 5 rials you can take a can of Coca Cola, perhaps), but I didn't care for that at time. I tried to explain to her that the matter was not in money at all, and that we'd spend much more amounts in their place previously, but I was very limited in time and couldn't actually sit in the restaurant, and it sounds SO strange you have to buy tickets to go to a restaurant! The girl at the reception finally agreed to let us up for a few minutes, but then she said she had to check with the manager, who's a Lebanese lady. Madam insisted we buy tickets. At that point I was so frustrated I didn't care, so I paid, went up, took photos and we went away. The restaurant was half empty at that time, so it wasn't like we were going to bother someone by our presence. I think since the management of this place has recently changed, they're trying to make money on the name, and get pennies out of everything possible. So I'll probably skip this place next time. If you have a chance to visit Old City with a local, there are plenty of high buildings that the locals can pass you through to have aerial looks at Sana'a. Unfortunately, this time I visited the Old City on lunch time, and it wasn't a weekend, so most of the places were closed.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Ani M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Well known among most travel agents and expats in Yemen, Burj Al Salam was once an undiscovered a jewel in the Old City of Sanaa. Recently it has been 'discovered' by more people, and unfortunately this has led to a drop in standards and increase in prices. If you can get past the less than stellar food options, this is still one of the most enchantingly beautiful places to take in the sunset over Yemens capital city. The roof terrace provides panorama views of the surrounding city, and you will be enchanted by the chorus of 'muezzins' as they call the faithful to prayer from the numerous surrounding mosques. It is worth a visit if only for the view.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank MaxOfArabia
Dubai
Reviewed 4 May 2013

Hotel is located in old city of Sanaa on the opposite side of Bab Al Yemen ( 10min walk). the hotel is a historical building that is renovated in a nice way to give best comfort.

the hotel is close from every market in old sanaa which make it easy to reach to every part walking of old sanaa.

rooms are comfortable spacious and got authentic yemen design.

prices are reasonable for 4* hotel

staff are wonderful and helpful

use the hotel driver " Mr. Saudi" he is wonderful with lot of experience in sightseeing areas and know what a tourist need with most reasonable rate and he is so honest.

say hi to Ms. Abla hotel manager, Dalia hotel reception, and Saudi from Mahdi AbuGhazaleh they all will be more than welcoming u

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AbuGhazaleh
Puyloubier, France
Reviewed 5 January 2013

End December, I stayed 5 nights at Burj Al Salam. Two mornings, I didn't have any water in my room. No way to take a shower nor brush my teeth. We were only two customers in hotel, nobody offered me the possiblility to use the bathroom in an other room, the only answer was "there is a link which affect your room". I had another problem regarding the taxi sent by the hotel at the airport. My flight was late the taxi didn't wait for me but return to hotel and came again to the airport. I had to pay twice for the pick-up, once to the taxi who ask for the payment and the hotel who invoice me also for the pick-up. My pick-up at airport cost me 50 dollars.
From the Burj al Salam terrace there is a nice view on Sanaa old city, it will cost you 500 rials to access this terrace now. These 500 rials are normally deducted of your bill if you take a drink or a meal at the restaurant. This is also a change in this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Gisele B
Riga, Latvia
Reviewed 4 July 2011

I stayed at this hotel with some of my colleagues for a period of 5 days and during my entire stay I did not find anything to complain about this place. The location is great. We had booked a suite. It was clean, spacious enough and well maintained. I could get a beautiful view of the outside from our room. The bathroom had a hot water shower. The food was great. The staffs were friendly and warm. One should not miss the view of Sanaa from the terrace while at this hotel. It is simply wonderful. It adds more beauty to this hotel. I would like to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank Jansons_wanderer
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 9 March 2011

The hotel is in a typical old stone house in a good location right in the middle of old Sana'a. The building has been sympathetically converted to a hotel so that it retains a lot of traditional character and rooms have traditional Yemeni furniture made of carved dark wood. On the 7th and 8th floors (there is a lift) there are rooftop terraces and a restaurant with great views over the city. Breakfast and evening meal were simple but fine. The hotel does not serve alcohol. The staff were friendly and helpful. For a fee, wi-fi is available in the lobby area and, in theory at least, on the rooftop terrace. The only negative point is the noise at night (the call to prayer at 05h00 from the nearby mosque and what seemed to be a pack of dogs barking their way round the city) but I guess these would apply to any hotel in the old city and should perhaps anyway be seen as part of the experience of staying in the historic centre.

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank Robin R
toronto
Reviewed 27 June 2010

I enjoyed my stay at the hotel very much. Like other visitors, I think the views from the roof are quite wonderful, and the roof, along with the location, is what makes the hotel such a good choice. The staff is very friendly and very helpful. The rooms, however, are small, and the bathrooms tiny. The rooms in the suites are more spacious but for a much higher price. The dinners were fine, but the breakfasts were a disappointment. There was little choice and the food was bland. However, who's going to Yemen for the food? The country is gorgeous, and old Sanaa is fascinating and wonderful. By all means try this hotel; it's not perfect, but it's very comfortable and brilliantly located.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank poppy022

Been to Burj al Salam? Share your experiences!