“You should go there!”
Review of Museo del Mar

Museo del Mar
More attraction details
Owner description: 4 Museos in 1 ! MUSEUM OF THE SEA, HISTORY OF BEACH RESORTS, MUSEUM COLLECTIBLES, INSECTARIUM Over 5000 specimens you never imagined you would see. History of Punta del Este, hundreds of photos. Pirates and buccaneers room. Collectibles: vintage articles. All this in a permanent exhibition in the year.
Reviewed 26 January 2014

It's a simple museum, with a lot of marine animals, vintage things, pirate history. It's AMAZING!
There's a dolphin fetus, whales... They teach the difference between seals and sea lions, etc.

All reviews
in 2 reviews
"pictures"
"punta"

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Dogs on leashes are allowed here! (Although we didn't see any while we were there, except two friendly dogs that lived outside the museum.) Photography is also allowed. Adult tickets cost 160 uruguayan pesos (about $7 in US dollars). I think kids are a little less. My daughter (17 months old) was free.

I'm not super-into this kind of museum, but it was pretty good, for what it was. It reminded me of the kind of place you go to for a field trip in elementary or middle school.

There is a TON of stuff here. It is MUCH larger inside than it looks from the outside. There is a big display of birds, some displays about seals and sea lions (that was my favorite part), stuff about dolphins, and turtles. There is a little pirate room. There are a few rooms with shells from every creature that has ever had a shell--there are thousands of them. Lots of other little sea creatures, too. Several big skeletons. The preserved fish I thought looked kind of gross.

There was a neat display with pictures of interesting beaches around the world.

There is a lot of stuff that has nothing to do with the ocean, well, not really. Collections of historical tea tins, and historical postcards, and antique medicine containers; collections of old children's books, and old radios, and an old "family" dressed for a trip to the seashore. It was kind of cool to see old pictures of the same local beaches in previous times.

Although most of the museum is kind of old, there have been some efforts to make it more interesting for kids: there are a few giant models of sea creatures, two photo spots where you can take your picture with pirates or a shark, and there is a room with a bunch of little tables and chairs so that kids can color a picture of a shark or a seahorse. That room was great for my daughter (17 months old) when she was ready for a break from the rest of the museum.

They also have an insectarium across the street that is included as part of the admission fee, although we didn't end up going to see it.

It is kind of amazing if you think that someone (or many someones) collected all of that stuff. We didn't read all of the placards--and many are in English now, although not all of them, but enough for English-readers to have quite a bit to read--but from the parts that we did read we felt like we learned some interesting things and had plenty to see.

It would be cool if they would do more to make it a little more modern; maybe update the way some of the stuff is displayed, or replace some of the more worn out things in Spanish text...the photo spots were fun, but more of that kind of stuff would make it more interesting and cool. Also, there are some flags that are worn out outside, and it would be nice to replace them...of course everything costs, and I doubt that they have a huge budget, but I think they've made the collection pleasant to visit.

Overall, I'm not at all interested in going back, but I'm glad that we went to see it, and I would recommend it to others.

The location is kind of weird, but Google navigation knew where it was so we found it easily. Lots of parking along the street.

Reviewed 3 July 2013

A friend suggested the Museo del Mar while we were visiting. What a nice surprise and a real gem. It was so much more than we were expecting. It is a great place for the history of the area and the collection of things related to the sea. The pirate room was really interesting, but very little of the information was in English. Included in the admission is an insect museum across the street. That was quite a collection!

Reviewed 22 June 2013

This museum may look small on the outside, but inside it is so big. We spent about 3 hours there. It has so much information, although only some in English. There are huge collection of everything imaginable that has got to do with the sea. It is worth the money. Only negative, it is difficult to get there without a car - but not impossible if you dont mind walking.

1  Thank Torunn B
See more reviews
Reviewed 6 May 2013

This museum began with a young boy's dream of having a place to display his collection of shells and grew into a destination for anyone interested in the history and natural history of the Uruguayan coast. We arrived just an hour and a half before closing, so there wasn't time to look closely at everything. I had to pass quickly by many things, including the stuffed sea birds and the skeletons of whales, in order to read (almost everything is in Spanish.) newspaper clippings, enjoy old photographs, and generally educate myself on the history of the coastline from Montevideo to Punto del Diablo. I especially enjoyed the pirate room, where I learned about women pirates. I had just a few minutes left to appreciate part of Pablo's magnificent collection of shells.

1  Thank Diane W