“A change of pace in Punta”

Calexico - California Mexico Fusion
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Our restaurant is closed until new location is available. Sorry for the inconvenience. Cheers!
Reviewed 14 March 2013

We've been to this restaurant on 3 different trips to Punta del Este since they opened and think they just keep getting better each time. The attention to detail in both the cozy decor and the food is the key to their success. The chef makes his own tortilla chips and they are out of this world.They come with a variety of tiny dishes containing tasty sauces, beans & guacamole. I had the combination platter with rice, beans, enchilada & soft taco and enjoyed the (very) subtle flavor of something like cinnamon in one of the foods on my plate -I never did discover which one! Definitely not your average Mexican restaurant-I would probably have given them an excellent if there had been a little more variety to the menu, but that's because I was looking for something along the lines of a fish taco (they did have a shrimp dish, though, and appear to be adding things each time I come, so there is hope for the fish taco!).The portions were appropriate and attractive on the plate - not the usual overflowing mess of refried beans and mushy flour tortillas swamped in red sauce you find in other mexican restaurants!!!
The husband & wife owners both speak english are wonderful to talk to if you happen in when the place isn't busy -she is from California and he from Mexico. For something other than asado, give this little place a try!

Reviewed 23 February 2013

We went to Calexico due to the favorable reviews in Tripadvisor. Compared to California and New Mexico (my home territory) the prices were a bit high. Compared to other places in Punta del Este, they are very reasonable. We enjoyed the break from Uruguayan cuisine (very good!!) and ate at Calexico three times. We chatted with the chef and the host pleasantly as we arrived at odd hours for Uruguayan dining. Both were helpful and solicitous of our input. I had a good margarita. My daughter and wife, both celiacs, found plenty to eat.

1  Thank Waldorf2012
Reviewed 17 February 2013

The atmosphere and service were very good. But I did get upset at the fact that we were told that the platters were a price and when we got the bill, some of the platters were another price. As well, my credit card was billed in US dollars instead of pesos, as the menu list indicates. When I checked the exchange rate at home I realized we had gotten ripped off. I was with some new business associates so I wouldnt have said anything at the time. I will just not go back.

Moises C, Owner at Calexico - California Mexico Fusion, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2013

Thank you for visiting with us at Calexico. I am glad you found our food, atmosphere and service very good. I am always glad to hear these comments. That being said, I am sad to read that you felt like you were cheated on your check. By the way, the only platters we serve on our menu are the Calexico platter and the Punta-Mexico Platter and they are both 550 uruguayan pesos. If you requested a different kind of platter than more than likely it had a different platter. I am not certain what happened there, but I can assure you that I will look into that. ( If possible, please provide me with the day and check number via message) . As far as the credit card situation goes, I am sad to report that due to banking restrictions because of my non-resident status I unable to set-up my bank account in any other type of currency until my final residency is granted. This is their ( banking and government ) policy and not ours. Believe me, it does me no good not to accept pesos in fact, I'm sure it hurts my business at times. However, I do accept other currencies but only in cash at the moment. We take Uruguayan Pesos, Brazilian Reais, and Argentine Pesos. Again, thank you for visiting with us and sorry to inconvenience you and your guests. Best wishes!!

Reviewed 16 February 2013

I had the same issue as the reviewer above - my beans were cold. This is unusual, since beans are typically piping hot. Nothing i could do at the time, because i can't speak Spanish and the owner wasn't around (not their fault, my fault, since i'm in their country). Also, i was not a fan of the margarita. Really tart, almost a burnt taste.

But, i enjoyed the fajitas. When the waitress brought them, i was worried because they had a sauce on them already (i prefer my fajitas naked, then add hot sauce and avocado or gua

1  Thank jason12_13
Reviewed 12 February 2013 via mobile

Best place I've eaten in Punta. Good location and service! The food is very fresh. You really feel you are in Mexico.