“Worse than I'd hoped”

Ranked #47 of 65 Hotels in Punta del Este
New York City, New York
“Worse than I'd hoped”
Reviewed 25 January 2010

I came into my stay at the Alhambra thinking at worst, it would be a dated place that would be serviceable enough, especially in peak season. I expected comfortable beds, adequate space, and a clean, attentive staff. Well, it was clean and the staff was fine, but that's about it. I got over the '70s style carpeting and decor, but the terribly weak mattress and tiny room weren't so forgiveable. It's unfortunate because it's certainly affordable and very close to the beach, and I'm not sure how many options there are during high season. But despite the nice staff and cleanliness I can't recommend it, as it was such a let-down even with my rather low expectations.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Miami
Reviewed 4 January 2010

Ok, this is not a Ritz by any stretch of the imagination. That being said, if you want to stay in a hotel with great service, an amazing location and a decent price during peak Punta time, Alhambra Hotel is your place.

It is on a one way street about a block from the beach. If you go West down calle 28 (where the hotel is on), you will run into many shops and some restaurants. If you go down calle 28 as far as it goes and make a left (South), you will see restaurants overlooking the water and the yacht harbor. Eat there for beautiful sunsets.

One of the best things about this hotel is not the oh so 70s decor, but the fact that they have an underground parking garage. My husband and I took full advantage of this because we used our car daily to travel to La Barra and Bikini Beach.

I rated the rooms a little below average because they were very small and in dire need of upgrades. Regardless, we were never in our rooms except to sleep. We felt very safe and decently comfortable. If you want high class, stay at the Conrad, AWA, L'ermitage, or Mantra--but be prepared to pay a pretty penny in peak season.

The do have a computer with free internet access.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
san diego
Reviewed 7 April 2009

The hotel is nothing fancy, but the service was excellent. They have a garage downstairs and help you with the luggage to your room. Very friendly staff and have an elevator that works well.
Location is great to downtown, and the beach. The beach was 1 block.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Aiea, Hawaii
Reviewed 16 March 2009

The Hotel Alhambra is 4 blocks from the bus terminal. The price was $90US a night.

Pros- location, location, location... half block from Gorlero (main drag) and a cambio office, two blocks from both of the ramblas, and 2 blocks from Virazon Restaraunt for sunsets. Extremely helpful staff who dialed La Huella for me so I could make my reservation for Sat. The garage came in handy since I rented a car and street parking is tight. The hotel has an internet computer for guest use next to reception. The hotel provides a cold buffet breakfast. I did not ask for any cooked items so I do not know if they are included. The rooms are good sized and had a small refrigerator. The bed was comfy. The room had a ceiling fan over the bed. They do not have safes in the rooms but they have individual keyed lock boxes in the room behind reception.

Cons- Outdated, no a/c control in room (at least that I found), bad 70s music piped into your room until you can find the switch to turn it off, and noisy if your room is street side. You will also hear doors closing. I did not have any trouble sleeping though, even without ear plugs.

Overall great value and location.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank HonoluluGolfer
San Francisco
Reviewed 2 March 2009

We stayed at the Alhambra the week before Xmas, just before the rush.
This hotel has the best location and a wonderful staff, especially Angel and Nancy.
We had a room with a little kitchen and that was a plus.
You can't go wrong for the price.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 14 January 2009

I agree with the reviewer below. This hotel was a terrific value for the money! When we decided to come to Punta del Este the week after New Years (peak travel time in Uruguay), I was shocked by how expensive every hotel was! I found the Alhambra Hotel on Trip Advisor and booked it since it was cheap and appeared to be centrally located. I was really happy with my decision! Besides the very outdated furnishings, it is spotlessly clean and has one of the best locations possible on the peninsula. The staff were very helpful and friendly too. The beach is only 3 to 4 blocks in each directions and the main shopping streets are a block away. If you are looking for a comfortable hotel to stay at, but don't mind decor from the 60s & 70s, then the Alhambra Hotel is perfect.

• Liked — Terrific location, clean room, friendly staff
  • Disliked — nothing, I have no complaints (besides outdated furnishings, but that didn't really bother me)
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank strux
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 13 January 2009

We booked this hotel, wanting somewhere affordable to stay in punta del este during high season. In fact, it was one of the only hotels even available when we booked in november.

If you can look beyond the 70's hotel decor (so out-of-style, its almost in style) , you will be very happy with your stay here.

- Our room and bathroom were spotlessly clean. in fact, i think the maid came in the evening as well, to replace our towels after our post-beach showers.
- The air conditioning worked very well
- The breakfast was delicious, with a buffet of pastries, cereals, fruit, toast, coffee, etc.
- The staff were incredibly nice and very helpful
- And most importantly, the location was fantastic (30 seconds from the beach, 30 seconds from the main street with shops and restaurants)

I highly recommend this hotel. it a great value.

• Liked — Clean room and bathroom, amazing location
  • Disliked — the view in our room wasnt good
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Argentina1982