“Chic and Minimalist, but perfectly priced for a stress-free vacation”

Awa Boutique and Design Hotel
Ranked #5 of 65 Hotels in Punta del Este
Reviewed 23 August 2011

Nestled among the palm trees a few blocks away in the heart of Punta del Este, AWA offered a surprisingly good alternative to the extraordinary expensive luxury hotels in the area. When I booked a room there a few months before the trip, I was expecting to come solo to see a friend, but at the last moment my husband came along. We were just at several fabulously expensive and luxury hotels in other parts of South America and when we drove to AWA he was not impressed. But the rooms were pre-paid and other hotels were booked, so he decided to "grin and suffer". Well, while the rooms are small, very small, the staff is VERY helpful and the breakfast is outrageously good and inexpensive. The bathroom was small, but equally clean and modern enough. Nothing in Punta is particularly cheap, and we have looked at the hotels charging upward of $1500 per night, but for a long weekend, I loved the fact that I didn't have to think at all about how much our hotel cost, particularly when as is common in Punta you are rolling in from the night out closer to breakfast than to midnight. The staff at AWA was very helpful - the housekeeper managed to press my linen dress for a party I was attending in about 5 minutes flat, and she did a perfect job. If you care about a spacious room and a grand bath, this might not be for you, but for a nice, clean room with a modern bath for a very reasonable price AWA is an excellent choice.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Awa Boutique and Design Hotel

Reviewed 12 August 2011

I´ve stayed at AWA for a couple of nights last June with my husband. Rooms are really spacious, bathroom comes with a nice shower/tub combination, and breakfast is super tasty. The hotel is not at the beach, but still you can walk to Playa Mansa, the casino, and the Peninsula area. There is a mall nearby (for those interested), and some good restaurants as well. Staff were really courteous. There is parking space available on the street next to the hotel. The hotel has a swimming pool and spa facilities, which we haven´t tried, though. I would say it´s a great choice for couples!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2011

My friend and I traveled to South America in mid - February. We enjoyed our stay at this new boutique hotel. It is a very intimate setting, as it is very small. The crowd is a hip, however professional mid 30's - mid 40's crowd. I mention this because the hotel is small and you will see the same people again at the pool, breakfast buffet, cocktails, etc.. The breakfast buffet is simple, and plentiful. The pool is a nice small area, cocktails in the late afternoon are nice.We met some very interesting people from all over the world. I would recommend this little gem and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Sarac_8
Reviewed 1 June 2011

My husband and I and our son (25) stayed at the AWA May 14-20, 2011. It's a very nice hotel and the staff is friendly and helpful.

This was not our usual type of vacation. We normally stay at all inclusive resorts. However, this trip was about exploring Uruguay as a potential place to retire. We used the AWA as our 'home base'.

I was worried the room would be too small, but it was actually quite adequate. They didn't have any rooms with 2 beds, so they brought in a cot for our son to use. The cot was really more like a single bed. He found it very comfortable and we managed just fine.

The room had a mini fridge filled with snacks and drinks, for a fee. We still used the fridge for our own snacks and drinks that we bought at the grocery store.

The gym was nice - not large, but it had 2 treadmills and 2 bicycles.

Complimentary breakfast each moring was always wonderful. They put out the very best sliced meats, and fresh fruits, and wonderful breads and pastries.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 April 2011

The AWA Hotel in Punta Del Este is a very nice and cozy boutique hotel in the beach resort city of Punta Del Este.
The room and bathroom were not large, but were very clean and comfortable and had nice furniture.

Very quiet and peaceful around the hotel which is in a residential area and away from the main peninsula area where the nightlife is. The hotel has around 30 rooms, an outdoor pool, and spa with jacuzzi, sauna, and steam room.
Friendly staff spoke English well. Helpful with directions. The included breakfast buffet was very good.

The hotel restaurant and some nearby restaurants were very expensive. But there is a shopping mall, Punta Shopping, within 5 minutes walking distance, which has some other restaurants and a market with lots of prepared food.

Can walk to 2 different beaches, both within 15 minutes. The casino/port/bus station area is around 5 minutes/$5-$10 by taxi. In April there wasn't so much going on at night. A good destination for relaxing and enjoying an uncrowded beach or just lounge around the hotel.

There was free wifi in the rooms and also a library/study room with computers to use for free.

Called the hotel same day and was quoted $180, showed up without a reservation and got the room for $140/night. No hotel taxes for foreigners in Uruguay. Price drops after April 1.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hotigloos
Reviewed 14 April 2011

Stylish, trendy hotel in a quiet residential neighborhood away from Punta's nightlife and beaches. Excellent staff and a good on-site restaurant. I suggest renting a car if you elect to stay at the AWA. While the hotel is a bit out of the way to get to restaurants and beaches, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Fastsailor
Reviewed 16 March 2011

I found AWA here on TripAdvisor and trusted the comments. I was not disapointed. Actually, already knew exactly what to expect. The hotel is not well situated and need a taxi for almost all the beaches. Taxi, by the way, it´s something you you will wait a lot (20 minutes, average). But it´s a very calm place, not noisy and very familiar. The rooms are small but the beds are incredibly comfortable! Housekeeping was impecable: they cleaned the room in the moring and came back in the evening for new towels and and to make the bed for your sleep. Lovely! They forgot towels sometimes, but it´s ok. Now comes what I read here: yes, it´s true that the staff is pretty inattentive. Not nice, not helpful, not warming people. The receptionist were cold, didn´t not welcome us, did not give sugestions for places to go, what to do, what so ever (actually, it started before I got there by e-mail, when I asked about transportation to Punta). Some of the guys in the restaurant was nice and the housekeepers too. But that´s it. Oh, we got champagne when we arrived, so we forgot their antipathy for a moment! For those who want to spend a lot of time in the pool and in the hotel, I wouldn´t recommend this one. The pool is ridiculously small. The pool area is actually nice for a drink or snack in the afternoon but that´s it. It´s definitly not great to hang out there during the day. The hotel is close to Punta Shopping and a few restaurants (like El Paleque and El Borgogne). The most serious complain we had was the fact that in their website they announce "bikes free of charge to our guests" but they charge it and it´s 30 dollars. We left a complaint personally and by e-mail but did not get any answer. The breakfast was delicious but I found hair twice in the food. It´s a brand new hotel with comfortable beds but the rest: know what to expect.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family