“Pokey room, tiny bathroom, problematic wifi”
Review of Hostal Copacabana

and 1 more site!
Hostal Copacabana
Ranked #29 of 76 Speciality Lodging in La Paz
Sydney, Australia
“Pokey room, tiny bathroom, problematic wifi”
Reviewed 4 December 2012

My bad. I got it confused with Hotel Copacabana. Wish I stayed there instead. This place was mediocre at best. The L-shaped twin private room was pokey. The bathroom was tiny and with a shared window, I listened to the delightful sound of my neighbour hacking up a lung each morning. Wifi only worked on the first of a three night stay. Never bothered with breakfast, though my husband said the hot chocolate was good. The staff at reception were very helpful and house-keeping friendly.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 6 October 2012

This place is fine, rooms are clean, and it's centrally located, safe and generally pleasant. I'd recommend it, but no raves. Standard as far as hostels go, but nothing terrible either which is a positive.

Pretty good value (did not pay as little as this site says though), and they don't do discounts for longer stays which I thought was odd.

The staff were perfectly nice, though didn't go out of their way to help me, but by no means were they rude either, so no problems there.

As other commenters have noted, it can get noisy because of the structure, so get a room that doesn't circle the main area and is away from the stairs.

I didn't have a problem with wifi access in my room at all, which was great. Perhaps its a trade off, a noisy room or no wifi, I don't know. The room itself was comfortable. I had a large bed and a desk and even closet so I could really spread out.

I had a shared bathroom which was fine as it was kept generally clean. I feel like the hostel was pretty empty when I stayed there, so maybe I was the only one using it. Always had warm water for showers!

Oh and like many other places, breakfast is included.

• Stayed October 2012
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2012

More of a hotel than a hostel, and a good price. For 88Bs, I got my own room with a double bed and private bathroom. Left too early to try out breakfast, but I hear it is pretty simple. The room was really cold (I was there in July) but the bed had warm blankets. The hostel is literally right next to the market and lots of other shops, which was perfect (but slightly noisy during the day). They were really nice and let me check in early, and ordered a taxi for me for the next morning.

Really recommend

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Traciawindsor
never never land
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Hostal Copacabana (in La Paz, NOT Copacabana) was a hidden surprise. With having no ability to speak Spanish, the hotel staff always had at least one person on shift who knew English which was EXTREAMLY helpful as I had a million questions. The staff called a taxi for me twice and translated back and forth of my intentions and when I first got into the hotel I asked questions about the local area and the staff even went as far as having the bellboy walk me around the area for a few minutes, getting to know the area! The staff actually gave a crap about its guests....even non Spanish speaking ones. But the room was decent with a pretty good view and a bathroom with plenty of hot water and breakfast.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Hostal Copacabana (in LA PAZ, not near Lake Titicaca) is a very good hostal. It actually feels more like an hotel than a hostal. I had a single room with private bathroom, which was very clean and with reliable hot water.
Breakfast is included (although a bit light: bread, juice and tea) and it is very conveniently located near the Witches' Market. The hotel seems to be popular with Brasilian travellers.
There is wifi too, but it does not work well in the rooms (but well in the foyer).

Room Tip: Try to get a room far from the central patio, as it can get noisy at nights / mornings.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL
Reviewed 18 August 2011

At first, I got a double room that had a strange smell. And it was close to the stairs, so I could hear people going up and downstairs all night. It wasn't something that made me stay awake the whole night. No. I could sleep, but sometimes, during the night, I could hear steps.
Then, after coming back from Isla del Sol, I changed the room and this one was MUCH better than the first one. Althought it was smaller, neither strange smell nor noise.
The breakfast is OK. Bread, butter, jelly, chocolate, tea, coffee.
There's free wifi in the room. But the best for me was the hot shower.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
salt lake city
Reviewed 18 May 2011

Hotel Copacabana is cheap, clean and a good place to stay. It's very basic but that's what this place is. Rooms and bathrooms are small so if you want space go somewhere else. No other problems. Would recommend.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business