“Good value, budget HOTEL!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hostal Copacabana

Hostal Copacabana
Ranked #25 of 71 Speciality Lodging in La Paz
Camden Town, null, United Kingdom
“Good value, budget HOTEL!”
Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

We checked into hostal copacabana for a three night stay in La Paz. I think the first thing I should clarify is that this is not really a hostal, more of a hotel! Apparently it is called a hostal because some rooms share bathroom facilities. We checked in during the afternoon, and were greeted with a decent enough receptionist who humoured my broken Spanish upon check in.

We headed up to our room (310) which is above the street and can be a bit noisy, particularly on the weekends. Be warned that as far as I know there is no elevator, and with the altitude you can be left short of breath climbing the stairs! The room is pretty basic (2 single beds instead of a requested double - however, as a young gay couple this seems to be a recurrent theme in the Andean regions of South America!) the room was clean, with plentiful supply of blankets for the cold nights. Just watch out for the water going off - it seems to be a daily occurrence, usually during daytime hours - when we asked about the water we were told it would be on shortly, and it was, so no complaints. The wifi coverage is good throughout, we managed to get a full, strong signal in our room the majority of the time.

Breakfast was a pleasant affair; your basic breakfast of bread and jam, but with the added option of fruit and cereal (if you get there early enough!) the waiting staff for breakfast are lovely, and a real credit to the hotel.

Location wise, you are in the centre of everything - we ended up extending our stay by a further three nights to do the death road mountain biking excursion (which is not for the faint hearted!)

This is a budget hotel, and when converted to pounds it is VERY cheap per night. Don't go in expecting luxury, and remember there is a hotel copacabana and it is a very different (and more expensive!) affair.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BenW87

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 31 August 2013

First, the reason the government calls this a Hostal and not a Hotel is because they do not have a restaurant that is open all day serving 3 meals and some of the rooms use a shared washroom. The restaurant is only open for breakfast and it's included with your room. There are no dorms at Hostal Copacabana.

They have single and double rooms with and without bathrooms (maybe triples as well) from $9.50 - $15.00 a night

The place is in the tourist area of La Paz with restaurants, travel agents (hiking, tours, flights ...) all near by. The witches market is 2 blocks away, the leather tailors are 1 block away and San Francisco Plaza is a five minute walk.

The Hostal has a 24 hr. reception but the gate closes around 10 pm. You simply ring the bell and the receptionist will come and let you in. There are no elevators, just stairs so if you are not use to the elevation of La Paz you may want to ask for a room on the first or second floor.
The rooms aren't big, but they are comfortable. I had a wardrobe, double bed and a desk in mine (I think that's standard).

There is WiFi in all areas of the hotel. A few times the Internet went out but I just notified the front desk and they immediately rest the routers and all was good again. For my 3 weeks in Bolivia I used Hostal Copacabana as my point of contact. I went North to the Pampas, South to the salt flats, west to Sucre\Santa Cruz returning to Hostal Copacabana after each trip. The hostal stored my baggage for me and even took a phone message as my cell phone didn't work in Bolivia and there is no Internet in the salt flats.

The nicest part of the hotel is the staff. All of them are very competent and try to help as best they can. If I was looking for something in La Paz they knew exactly how to get there, and the best way to do it. For example I went to Valle de la Luna, and they told me that the 150 bs tour was a complete waste of money. They gave me easy instructions on how to do it on public transport (1 bus) and the whole trip cost 20 bs 5 for the bus round trip and 15 for the entrance fee.
Laundry service was very good and fast. I dropped off 15 kg at noon and had it back at 21:30, even with the special instructions I had for some of clothes.
On my tours around Bolivia I told other travelers about Hostal Copacabana (b/c they wanted to know if I knew a good low budget hotel in La Paz) and those I met again at the hotel said it was a really good choice.

I would definitely stay there again if travelling in Bolivia.

Room Tip: The road out the front of the hotel gets busy quite early in the morning so if you want to sleep in...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank JymMorton
Lima, Peru
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I have stayed here twice and will return again on my next climbing expedition in Boliva. Yes the street is busy but very interesting to watch. The Suday market is greast to visit just down the street and the surounding area is a great place just to watch daily life. Tghe hotel is very clean and the staff very helpfull and nice.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank msellis62
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Had a private room with private bathroom which was small but adequate. Have to wait few mins for the water to get hot in the shower, but best water pressure I´ve encountered so far in Bolivia. Breakfast includes the standard fare of bread rolls and coffee/tea, but also a little cereal and yogurt, and the first day I was there we had fresh papaya which was great. Best thing about this place is the location - about a 2 minute walk to the Witches market. Helpful staff. Will also just say that if you´re in one of the central rooms, be aware that sound seems to travel very easily in the building - someone downstairs had the radio on loudly and it woke me up. Otherwise a good value option for a budget traveller.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs just in case - acoustics are pretty poor/the walls seem to be pretty thin!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Bathroom was clean.
Shower: it may take a couple of minutes before water becomes hot.
Furniture a bit old, but ok for bolivia standards.
Breakfast was ok for bolivia standards.
Staff is friendly and willing to help.

The hostal is located in a neighbourhood of intensive trading and car traffic. Often the streets are very crowded. By night it looks darker, a bit gloomy. In the other hand the hostal is in La Paz´ downtown, so you are a few steps aways from several travel agencies (where you can book a tour to chacaltaya, the death road, tiwanaku) and from the Witches´ Market (where you can by everything) etc.

I stayed here just for a night: i was going to take a bus to titicaca the next morning (these buses leave from the street of the cemetery, a short cab ride away from the hostal), so the central location was a must for me.

But when I was back in La Paz after 2 days in Titicaca, I choose to stay in Calle Comercio, which is 15 minutes walk from Calle Illampu, but is located in a more cosy neighbourhood - near the Presidential Palace. There you can choose among shared rooms in party hostels (like Wild Rover and Loki) and private rooms in more quiet hotels (like Hostal La Republica).

So, for longer stays, I would definitely NOT recommend this hostal region.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Franciscobsb
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 4 December 2012

My bad. I got it confused with Hotel Copacabana. Wish I stayed there instead. This place was mediocre at best. The L-shaped twin private room was pokey. The bathroom was tiny and with a shared window, I listened to the delightful sound of my neighbour hacking up a lung each morning. Wifi only worked on the first of a three night stay. Never bothered with breakfast, though my husband said the hot chocolate was good. The staff at reception were very helpful and house-keeping friendly.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these La Paz hotels

Reviewed 6 October 2012

This place is fine, rooms are clean, and it's centrally located, safe and generally pleasant. I'd recommend it, but no raves. Standard as far as hostels go, but nothing terrible either which is a positive.

Pretty good value (did not pay as little as this site says though), and they don't do discounts for longer stays which I thought was odd.

The staff were perfectly nice, though didn't go out of their way to help me, but by no means were they rude either, so no problems there.

As other commenters have noted, it can get noisy because of the structure, so get a room that doesn't circle the main area and is away from the stairs.

I didn't have a problem with wifi access in my room at all, which was great. Perhaps its a trade off, a noisy room or no wifi, I don't know. The room itself was comfortable. I had a large bed and a desk and even closet so I could really spread out.

I had a shared bathroom which was fine as it was kept generally clean. I feel like the hostel was pretty empty when I stayed there, so maybe I was the only one using it. Always had warm water for showers!

Oh and like many other places, breakfast is included.

• Stayed October 2012