“Good budget accommodation”

Hostal Copacabana
Ranked #28 of 74 Speciality Lodging in La Paz
“Good budget accommodation”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I was travelling around Bolivia and didn't want to stay in the typical party hostels in la Paz. Found this place and ended up staying here on 3 different occasions and even had friends staying in other hostels/hotels move in because the quality. Rooms are basic but comfortable. Good breakfast with real coffee! Most importantly, hot hot showers which is just what you want after you've been out mountain biking, trekking climbing...
Good price and would recommend it as a solid budget accommodation. 4 stars instead of 5 because it doesn't have it's own kitchen if you want to cook for yourself.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We were really lucky to find this hostel. It has a great location near the witch market and very good prices comparing to other hotels around the area (205 bob for private room).. the room was nice and very clean, and with hot water. Good breakfast and really nice staff. A great place to stay in La paz.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Oruro, Bolivia
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Arrived off the overnight bus and was immediately given a room. Great shared bathroom with really hot showers. Room was basic but just fine and breakfast nice. I accidentally left my memory stick in the room when I checked out the next day and rang to ask if they had found it. They had and they kept it for me until the next week when I was passing through La Paz again and could pick it up. Excellent reception staff.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Camden Town, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

We checked into hostal copacabana for a three night stay in La Paz. I think the first thing I should clarify is that this is not really a hostal, more of a hotel! Apparently it is called a hostal because some rooms share bathroom facilities. We checked in during the afternoon, and were greeted with a decent enough receptionist who humoured my broken Spanish upon check in.

We headed up to our room (310) which is above the street and can be a bit noisy, particularly on the weekends. Be warned that as far as I know there is no elevator, and with the altitude you can be left short of breath climbing the stairs! The room is pretty basic (2 single beds instead of a requested double - however, as a young gay couple this seems to be a recurrent theme in the Andean regions of South America!) the room was clean, with plentiful supply of blankets for the cold nights. Just watch out for the water going off - it seems to be a daily occurrence, usually during daytime hours - when we asked about the water we were told it would be on shortly, and it was, so no complaints. The wifi coverage is good throughout, we managed to get a full, strong signal in our room the majority of the time.

Breakfast was a pleasant affair; your basic breakfast of bread and jam, but with the added option of fruit and cereal (if you get there early enough!) the waiting staff for breakfast are lovely, and a real credit to the hotel.

Location wise, you are in the centre of everything - we ended up extending our stay by a further three nights to do the death road mountain biking excursion (which is not for the faint hearted!)

This is a budget hotel, and when converted to pounds it is VERY cheap per night. Don't go in expecting luxury, and remember there is a hotel copacabana and it is a very different (and more expensive!) affair.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BenW87
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 31 August 2013

First, the reason the government calls this a Hostal and not a Hotel is because they do not have a restaurant that is open all day serving 3 meals and some of the rooms use a shared washroom. The restaurant is only open for breakfast and it's included with your room. There are no dorms at Hostal Copacabana.

They have single and double rooms with and without bathrooms (maybe triples as well) from $9.50 - $15.00 a night

The place is in the tourist area of La Paz with restaurants, travel agents (hiking, tours, flights ...) all near by. The witches market is 2 blocks away, the leather tailors are 1 block away and San Francisco Plaza is a five minute walk.

The Hostal has a 24 hr. reception but the gate closes around 10 pm. You simply ring the bell and the receptionist will come and let you in. There are no elevators, just stairs so if you are not use to the elevation of La Paz you may want to ask for a room on the first or second floor.
The rooms aren't big, but they are comfortable. I had a wardrobe, double bed and a desk in mine (I think that's standard).

There is WiFi in all areas of the hotel. A few times the Internet went out but I just notified the front desk and they immediately rest the routers and all was good again. For my 3 weeks in Bolivia I used Hostal Copacabana as my point of contact. I went North to the Pampas, South to the salt flats, west to Sucre\Santa Cruz returning to Hostal Copacabana after each trip. The hostal stored my baggage for me and even took a phone message as my cell phone didn't work in Bolivia and there is no Internet in the salt flats.

The nicest part of the hotel is the staff. All of them are very competent and try to help as best they can. If I was looking for something in La Paz they knew exactly how to get there, and the best way to do it. For example I went to Valle de la Luna, and they told me that the 150 bs tour was a complete waste of money. They gave me easy instructions on how to do it on public transport (1 bus) and the whole trip cost 20 bs 5 for the bus round trip and 15 for the entrance fee.
Laundry service was very good and fast. I dropped off 15 kg at noon and had it back at 21:30, even with the special instructions I had for some of clothes.
On my tours around Bolivia I told other travelers about Hostal Copacabana (b/c they wanted to know if I knew a good low budget hotel in La Paz) and those I met again at the hotel said it was a really good choice.

I would definitely stay there again if travelling in Bolivia.

Room Tip: The road out the front of the hotel gets busy quite early in the morning so if you want to sleep in...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank JymMorton
Lima, Peru
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I have stayed here twice and will return again on my next climbing expedition in Boliva. Yes the street is busy but very interesting to watch. The Suday market is greast to visit just down the street and the surounding area is a great place just to watch daily life. Tghe hotel is very clean and the staff very helpfull and nice.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank msellis62
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Had a private room with private bathroom which was small but adequate. Have to wait few mins for the water to get hot in the shower, but best water pressure I´ve encountered so far in Bolivia. Breakfast includes the standard fare of bread rolls and coffee/tea, but also a little cereal and yogurt, and the first day I was there we had fresh papaya which was great. Best thing about this place is the location - about a 2 minute walk to the Witches market. Helpful staff. Will also just say that if you´re in one of the central rooms, be aware that sound seems to travel very easily in the building - someone downstairs had the radio on loudly and it woke me up. Otherwise a good value option for a budget traveller.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs just in case - acoustics are pretty poor/the walls seem to be pretty thin!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo