“Booked 2 nights, stayed only one...”
Review of Panamerican Hotel

Panamerican Hotel
Ranked #69 of 76 Hotels in La Paz
Montreal, Canada
“Booked 2 nights, stayed only one...”
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We had booked a first night because our plane landed late in La paz, then another night prior to our flight out to Machu PIcchu. We cancelled that second night after the first stay.
I understand this is Bolivia and I am used to all sorts of different quality levels...

I realize the price is low (40usd), but as per the reviews I had read, I expected more and I was deceived. The carpet on the floor was quite dirty and damaged, the bathroom was not clean at all (no curtain on outside window in bathtud so everyone outside can see you). We were glad to have our sleeping bags with us because the sheets did not look so clean. Staff was ok, and still we slept ok, except for the noise (lots of bars around and insulation is none)...

I preferred paying a bit more and get more for the second night stay.
If you only look for a place to spend the night, it's ok, but nothing more...It's not a room you want to spend time in.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christian L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Yuendumu
Reviewed 13 January 2013

My room was nothing like the pictures. There was no bath, like it was stated in Booking.com ( word of advise do not use this site in south america, every single place I have booked through then has not been at all like they offer. They seem like a scam site. Use other ones insead)
The room was tiny it barly fitted a single bed. When I had requested a double. The room was awfull, the bathroom was pooly designed. The toiletries were missing, and there was only half a roll of toilet paper. On my secound night I repetedly asked for more not to recive it. Room service was terrible the steak was like eating cardboard and the pisco sour was, well I do not know what it was, but that was terrible as well, and breakfast was probably the worst I have ever had in all of South america. The fruit tasted rotten and it took over 10min for the lady to get me some milk for my coffee. Terrible place

Room Tip: Don not stay here. FInd some where else
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Catej7

Travellers are raving about these La Paz hotels

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 20 December 2012

This is a little gem in the middle of the city with every amenity a Bolivian would want. Clean room, reasonable bath and shower. Staff could not try harder. La Paz is not Paris and this is not the Ritz, but more than adequate for our stay. Breakfast was hot and fresh and the service was fast and courteous. Come and give it a try.

Room Tip: Away from the lift is best
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank The-GCC
Cardiff
Reviewed 17 July 2012

We stayed here just for one night in between flights, but having already spent three nights in another hotel just down the road from Pan American we wished we had chosen this one instead!

The staff were very welcoming, the room clean and comfortable (with a hot shower - not easy to come across in Bolivia, we found), and the location excellent. Wifi worked fine for us while we were there; they have a router on each floor so signal is pretty good everywhere.

The hotel feels very luxurious, in a slightly dated way (which personally I really enjoy!) which makes it very good value for money.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MBlunder
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 21 February 2012

This hotel tries to be a top hotel by bolivian standards with well dressed receptionist, breakfast buffet, telephone,tv, wifi in the rooms, etc. We paid about 300 B$ for a matrimonial which is money for bolivian standards. We weren´t happy with the many things that didn´t work properly. The Wifi in the room only worked for a couple of hours in five days. The wifi is the lobby was super slow. Room service didn´t come one day. The hot water needed about half an hour to arrive in the shower. Breakfast buffet was nice if all the things that they offered were there, i.e. we manged only on two out of five days to get the scrambled eggs.

The good side - on the other hand - is definitely the view of the top floors overlooking La Paz (the hotel has 10 floors). Also the receptionists were nice and helpful.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank chaisam
Netherlands
Reviewed 3 August 2011

Simple but adequate hotel near many restaurants.
Walking distance to down town. Located in a street parallel to the main avenue, hence no problems of traffic.
Nice that there is an elevator.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Dutchman-nl
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed 6 May 2011

The hotel is pretty well located in the city center, one block uphill from the Prado (the main avenue and the most touristy place). For some people that might be good, but I enjoy a more relaxed atmosphere rather than noise all night and being across the street from a Burger King.

For a price of 110 Bs. per night (11€) I did not expect too much, so I guess the room was okay. The bed gave me a decent night sleep and the bath a hot shower. However, the towel was very bad (small and worn-down) and the breakfast was bad. So, I only had a coffee and nothing else there.
If you are just looking for a place to stay in between travel days, the place is okay. For a vacation, I would not stay there.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo