“Illimani: Perfekte Tour / perfect tour” 5 of 5 bubbles

3-Day Climbing Huayna Potosi from La Paz
Ranked #5 of 111 things to do in La Paz
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A technical easy mountain over 6000m's to climb for beginners. Good for a first big mountain experience with great views of the Cordillera Real mountains near La Paz. physically demanding, some acclimatization is need before attempting this trip.
Bergisch Gladbach, Germany
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Illimani: Perfekte Tour / perfect tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

Waehrend der vier Tage am Illimani hat alles reibungslos und puenktlich geklappt. Besonderes Lob gebuehrt der reichhaltigen und guten Verpflegung / During the four days on Illimani everything worked out perfectly and in time. Especially I want to mention the good quality and high quantity of food.

Besten Dank an den perfekten Fuehrer Juancho / Special thanks to the perfect guide Juancho / Muchas gracias, Juancho

Visited June 2014

• Korean first
Montreal, Canada
65 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“No climbing skills need but...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Huayna Potosi was the hardest physical thing I did in my life. Indeed you don't need alpinism skill but the hike is really intense in the snow even with my Canadian skills. It was hard to breath. Hopefully I don't have altitude sickness at all from what I experimented but the breathing is really hard. Be in good shape, well rested. And eat enough food!

But with all of effort the view on the top is awesome at 6000 meters and more. Best sunrise ever!

Visited April 2014
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Altitude 6000 was amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

My gf (0 mountaineering experience) and I (some) Just did it with the 3 days tour from Altitude 6000
Even though we were a large group (15 climbers +8 guides), the experience was amazing
The gear provided was in great condition, and adapted to the climb (incl very good sleeping bags)
Logistic was top notch, bus, food (great quantity and amazing quality considering you sleep in a refuge. I am big on food and everyone consistently raved about how great this tour is! So important when up there)
Refuge (base camp and high camp) were warm enough through the night, clean
But most of the merit goes to the guides - head guide JuAncho am his team were funny, tough when needed for safety, always feeding us or making us hydrate (key to acclimate ), and always always friendly with everyone
We had one sick climber and she was really cared for, anyone that could not make it to the top was walked down to the refuge by a guide, and overall I think we all had a blast

Now, about the mountain, it's one tough hike. But the experience climbing that last ridge is well worth the effort
Just don't go being sure you will summit- between weather conditions and altitude, it s always a gamble, but you should definitely try it. If so, with altitude 6000. When we went prices were 140,000bob each, which is the standard price right now for a serious outfitter

1 Thank Niko R
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Not with Refugio Huayna Potosi!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

The trek is beautiful, its a shame the whole experience was ruined because of the horrible night before the climb.

As amount of people was about twice bigger than the amount of mattresses, we slept almost one on another. It wouldn't be a big deal in low altitude, however the refugio is located at 5300m where it is not easy to breathe as it is, and people pressed one against another make it much worse. I had a severe headache and didn't sleep just waiting for this night to be over. Unfortunately, after this i couldnt enjoy anything.

On my complaint about space in refugio, the guide asked whether I thought it would be a hotel. As an answer, I will bring an example of another guy, who climbed the mountain with other agency. He said that each of them had a private bed (!), compared to our half of mattress on the floor.

In general, the climb is interesting, challenging (mostly because of lack of oxygene) and in my opinion in some parts might be dangerous. I would recommend this hike, with following recommendations:
- inside the climbing shoes always wear two pairs of socks, it is freezing cold on the top
- before buying the tour make sure that you will have space to sleep comfortably in the night before the hike. It is important, as day after includes almost continuous 10 hours hike

2 Thank Alex M
Orange Park, Florida
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“One tough hike”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

We had 12 cm fresh snow when started the hike from high camp at 1:00 a.m.. I didn't make the summit -it seemed futile, turned back at 5600M. 20% of the group made the summit - Kudos Summiters!

Visited May 2014