“Quite bad, but might be a good value for La Paz”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Majestic

Hotel Majestic
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in La Paz
Hotel Majestic
Ranked #48 of 76 Hotels in La Paz
“Quite bad, but might be a good value for La Paz”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for one night in May. It was hard to find a decent place in La Paz. Everything was relatively expensive and quite ugly.
It's quite a big hotel. My room was tiny, unattractive and a bit dirty. Sheets were dirty (had hair in them) but they gave me new ones when I asked.
Breakfast was quite bad. Artificial juice.
I moved the next morning to Hotel Berlina, which was way better and worth the extra cost.

• Stayed May 2012

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Majestic for a week and i ended up having US$ 700 and about 300 bolivianos stolen out of my money belt. I am writing this just to warn other travellers about this place, I left really annoyed. What happen was that I left my money belt in my room where it was locked inside my bag and hidden amongst my clothes.

The bag was locked with my own padlock and i took the key with me. I basically went out for about 5 hrs and when i came back i checked my money belt as i needed money for a tour that i was organising. I opened the bag and found my belt just as i had left it. I knew exactly how much was there as i keep a record. The only person i know of who entered the room while i was away was the cleaner, as reception keeps a record of who cleans your room and at what time. He picked my lock like an expert thief that im sure he is and he took every 2nd note leaving me the other half, as if i wouldnt notice. He didnt touch my passport or credit cards and just wanted what was untracable. The next day he was there working again and he couldnt look me in the eye. Guilt written all over him but i didnt go to the tourist Police as it was his word against mine and in La Paz, Bolivia you dont want to make any enemies.

I ended up having a meeting with the hotel owner about the whole incident and he didnt even bother to question the cleaner and basically couldnt care less. He actually blamed the whole thing on me for leaving valuables in my room. You think it would be safe locked inside your bag inside your room but not at this hotel. As i said before i just want to warn all my fellow travellers out there of the possibility of being robbed at this hotel.

Good luck out there and safe travels.

Room Tip: Be careful
Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank John C

Travellers are raving about these La Paz hotels

Utrecht, Nederland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

Travellers beware!!! During our stay at this hotel an iPod, money and a mobile phone were stolen from our hotel room, very probably by the cleaner. All items were in the bottom of our backpacks, all other items were placed back exactly as they were before. Hence, the thief has gone deliberately through all our possessions to find the valuable items!!!

The hotel management hid behind the plaque in every room stating that the management is not responsible for any lost items, so this is in fact a clearance to strip all valuables from your room! Another client staying at the hotel the same time was also victim of stolen money, he noticed it after we told him to check.

In the end we settled on paying half the hotel bill, which in our opinion is pleading guilty for the theft.

This is really a shame for an otherwise fine hotel.

Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank abbastijn
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2011

We arrived in La Paz and had no idea where to go. After checking out a couple of places we thought this place looked ok, not great but cheaper than other places in the centre.

We stayed a few nits and thought it was fab. Tv, hot water, beds made everyday, internet and a nice small breakfast of fresh bread, coffee and juice. It was cheap and we liked it and the lady at reception was lovely. We ended up going back to La Paz a further 2 times for various reasons and went back to Majestiv both times and the lady remembered our names!

Ok, this isn't the place to stay if you want a nice romantic break but if you want that you probably wouldn't be in LaPaz would you. We don't think this place is deserving of poor reviews, ok we too did find hairs in our room too, but it wasn't the end of the world, probably just the cleaners! It's a great travelers place to stay and we would go back.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Argentina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2011

I started in SALTA for a tour to La Paz with some friends, and took a bus to La Quiaca. After crossing the border, we got the tickets for the train and the adventure started. Those were 15 hours of a relaxed, comfortable trip in what they call "clase salon" which is not the executive, but pretty good. The train dropped us off in Oruro, where we has only a few hours just to see the town. A 3,5 hour bus ride we arrived to LA PAZ, where a race taxi driver took us to Majestic Hotel. I said already it is not a 5 star hotel as I wanted something inexpensive but close to everywhere. This hotel is close to the WItch Market. Close to the avenue where all the merchants called "mañaneras" come and sell their staff early in the morning.
The staff at the hotel was nice and polite, They gave us directions to reach everywhere and I really enjoyed our meals at Brosso,

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Giena
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

Pro's
- good value (140B) for matrimonial room.
- good location near all tour agencies
- 24hr reliable hot showers
- good mattress
- fresh towels every day
- good selection of TV channels
- decent internet (Wifi in some rooms)
- free small breakfast (1 bun & juice & hot drink)
- free luggage storage

Con's
- rooms are small
- rooms facing street are very noisy
- some rooms smell smoky
- daily room cleaning is iffy, especially the floors
- some rooms have only one power outlet, which is used for the TV
- no access to PC's after 11pm (Wifi works 24hrs – sometimes!)
- Wifi only works in 1st floor rooms

We used the Majestic as our base when we were in and out of La Paz. They are definitely one of the better value places in the LLampu area, many other 2* and 3* hotels nearby charge over 200B.

You get what you pay for: the hotel is a bit old and definitely well used (a bit run down) but everything worked, staff was helpful and friendly. This is not the place where you meet many other travelers, its more for couples than the party crowd.

Overall recommended if you prefer a good night's sleep over having a busy bar downstairs.

Tip: if you book a radio taxi to the airport through the hotel staff you will be charged 60B (that's 10B extra). Even when booking through Hotel make sure you re-confirm the rate with the taxi driver before you enter. The one we got tried to charge us 80B (normal price is 50B) – Best is to call a taxi by yourself.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank poboxearth
Cusco, Peru
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2011

We first got la Paz and surprise surprise Loki had lost our booking! So we just booked in to hotel Tocino, not so great beds like a bannana, so the next day I must have ask 40 hotels and hostels, this one was the same price as Tocino and still the cheasest by far, but had wifi, breakfast,free Internet, hot showers 24 hrs and best of all a Elavator, a must for your first few days, climbing steps is a struggle due to the altitude! Front desk was super helpful, rooms have full cable tv connection and they cleaned and changed the sheets everyday! I work on super yachts and my partner is a stewardess so we no what clean is! They must have sharpened up there act or got a new manager since the last review on here. If you need good wifi ask for the first floor closet to the stairwell, a great view floor 4 away from the road down the very end.

Room Tip: If you want great wifi ask for the first floor
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple