“Very nice hotel”

Ranked #6 of 76 Hotels in La Paz
Sydney, Australia
“Very nice hotel”
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights at La Casona. It was a great experience. Very friendly and helpful stuff who spoke perfect English. The bed we had was the biggest bed I have ever seen. Very comfortable too. Nice breakfast to get you going for the day. Location is great for exploring all the sights of La Paz.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 29 May 2014

La Casona Hotel-Boutique is a Treasure - It is a Monastry, renovated and refurbished by 2 lady architects in a modern fashion, but yet keeping its old architecture design. - I spent 2 nights together with my husband and adult daughter in April this year. The Hotel is very centrally located, rooms are very clean and comfortable, restaurant meals are excellent and reasonably priced, staff speak good English and are always ready to help. Free fast internet in the lobby 24/7. We liked their stone-baked bread rolls and the waiter always remembered to set us some aside at breakfast & evening dinner during our 3 day stay, which was so much appreciated. We recommend this Hotel and will surely stay here again without a doubt.

Room Tip: Rooms are all good.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Goes
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed in this hotel for business reasons for almost 2 weeks. The staff does everything to make your stay perfect.
And.....they sell the best coffee in Bolivia.

Go there and find out that price and product are balanced.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window!!!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
New York
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Following our international flight which arrived at 5:15 AM on May 8th, we checked into La Casona at 6:15 AM. Our suite was on the 3rd floor and had a spacious bedroom, a step down living room and a bathroom with a jacuzzi built into it. We stayed in room 401 and it was very comfortable. Our suite was off of a very bright and sunny courtyard.

After a few hours of rest, we had breakfast in a small dining room off of the lobby. Breakfast consisted of juice, tea, coffee, a variety of fruits, breads and yogurt. Eggs were also available upon request and could be prepared to our liking.

The hotel used to be a private residence and was converted into a hotel 8 years ago so it's still fairly new. The staff was very accommodating and particularly helpful when I tried to use an ATM nearby and it "swallowed" my card and did not dispense any money - much to my horror - since this is the first time in all my 40 years of travel that this has ever happened. I had heard that the ATMs in Bolivia were dicey and I now understood why. If you go to Bolivia, use the ATM at the airport and do not use one off the street. Following my experience, we heard many similar stories about Bolivian ATMs. Or, better yet, bring cash because you can easily change money on the street. Yes, I was surprised by this but there is a woman across the street from La Casona who exchanges all sorts of foreign currency but predominantly dollars and euros. I had changed $100 with her to Bolivianos and she only charged me a 70 cent fee and even gave a higher exchange rate than the bank. And, there is no ATM fee!!

Anyway, we immediately returned to the hotel and the staff helped me navigate the various phone numbers connected to the bank with the ATM. They also helped me call the local VISA office since I had been using a VISA debit card and they connected me to my bank in the U.S. Since my husband was joining me on the following day, I was able to text him so he too could alert the bank and bring me a new ATM card the following morning.

We stayed at La Casona for two nights. The following evening, we ate dinner in their restaurant which was quite good and very inexpensive. Dinner for 3 was only $36 U.S.

The location of La Casona is good. Think of La Paz as having three levels. On the lowest level which is at about 3200 meters - about 10,400 feet - you can find the more "western" buildings, homes and hotels. It's quite upscale and is the locale where all the embassies are located. As you move to the higher elevations, the old city (casco viejo) is at a significantly higher elevation - an additional 500 meters or roughly an elevation of 12,000 ft in total. The airport is located at a still higher elevation - about 4100 meters (about 13,350 meters). By the way, the higher up you go, the more downscale you'll find the neighborhoods. The poorest people live at the very top of La Paz.

As a tourist, you'd want to stay either in the lower elevation in the more modern, upscale area or in the area of the old city where La Casona is located. It's a 5 minute walk to the Witches Market (el mercado de las brujas) and when you stay in this area, you genuinely feel like you are in Bolivia. If you're going to La Paz on business, you'd probably want to stay in the southern part of the city at the lower elevation in the more "western" district.

That same afternoon, we wanted to go see some of the vista points so the hotel staff arranged for a cab driver that they know to take us to Killikilli where we had an amazing view of the city. He also drove us through some other areas of interest and spent about an hour and a half with us telling us all sorts of interesting historical facts about the city and surrounding area. We paid 50 bolivianos for his services that afternoon - about $7.50 for the three of us. We were so pleased with him that we had him take us to Tiwanaku the following day - a very interesting pre-Inca archeological site about an hour and a half outside of La Paz. He picked us up at 9:00 and we returned to the hotel at 4:45. We paid him $80 U.S. (included the tip plus we bought him lunch). Fabio doesn't speak English but if you speak Spanish, then no problem.

Overall, we were quite happy with La Casona, it's location and very happy with the hotel staff.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank manhattanmom
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 30 April 2014

The hotel is in a very good location. I stayed here for 3 nights. The staff was very friendly and spoke english well. Rooms were nice and clean. I would definitely stay here if I return to La Paz again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Jeffreysa69
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Our agent book us into this hotel, and we like the location, the rooms are big, and had a nice huge balcony next to us. actually we felt very lucky, the weather was perfect and we can only see blue skies from our room! The staff are friendly at the Reception, internet works well in the room. The breakfast is really lousy!! The fresh juice tasted water, and everything was cold cuts..a very over riped almost rotten banana! Its a shame for such a standard! I do agree that the waiters may need a bit more of a training..service oriented ..is a requirement for such a hotel. Good luck, and you may wish to consider changing your breakfast menu..a la carte may have been better..

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014

A charming boutique hotel close to the main attractions in the centre of old La Paz. It is a converted Spanish house and retains much of the character. Rooms clean and comfortable. Restaurant reasonable though service sometimes slow. Easy and safe to walk to main sights. Overall looked so much better than other hotels in La Paz

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends