“very nice place”

La Casona Hotel-Boutique
Ranked #7 of 78 Hotels in La Paz
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Not many times i have been so happy to be in a big city and to stay in this hotel make the difference. I do not have words to say how beauty is has been decorated, and it is not an expencive place if your come to Europe or the USA.

My best to the owners

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I first saw this hotel on booking.com and saw the fantastic reviews it received so I thought it was a pretty safe decision to book. However due to our flight getting into La Paz at 3am I emailed to hotel directly to confirm that we would be able to check in at this time and would we have to pay for a full day. Communication with the hotel was very easy, they assure me that checking in at this time would be no problem at all as there was a 24 hour front desk, they also informed me that we would only be charged for a half day not a full day. In addition to this the offered to send a taxi to the airport for us which was greatly appreciated. I had high hopes at this point.

Unfortunately when we arrived at 3am there was no car waiting for us. We fought through the chaotic taxi service area at the airport and found a cab to take us to the hotel. Once we got to the hotel there seemed to be no one home. The lights were off but there was a door buzzer which we rung multiple times. Still no one responded. After 20 minutes of banging on the door and buzzing, with publicly urinating drunks around us we finally gave up. Being standard on the streets of Bolivia at 4 am is a very scary situation to be in. Lucky for us the taxi driver had stayed with us and drove us around to no less than 10 different hotels looking for one with a vacancy.

I Would have to say that this experience and the response of the hotel afterwards would have been the worst point of our entire 7 week trip. When I emailed the hotel after the event they attempted to lay blame on everyone but themselves. Saying the taxi driver who was supposed to pick us up must have forgotten and the taxi which we got to the hotel must have taken us to the wrong place. They even went so far as to send me a picture of their street frontage, which was clearly the exact location which we were at.

The reviews for this hotel are great but I feel the need to warn fellow travellers of the possibility that this could happen if you are planning to check in late at night.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Veronica1991
LaCasona1680, Gerente at La Casona Hotel-Boutique, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Mrs. Appreciated Veronica apologize for what happened we hire an outside company for our transfer to the hotel company unfortunately this time we fault the airport to hotel and back what happened and not hiring more this company want to apologize for the bad time that we did spend and we want to offer you or a friend of yours and you tell us we offer 2 nights with breakfast, lunch and dinner included where accommodation and feeding will be free throughout the hotel cortecia no cost that way you could know our hotel and services and because our hotel has the best reviews on trip advisor.
To coordinate details please write to my email
victor@lacasonahotelboutique.com
reiterating our apologies say goodbye
Atte. Victor Maldonado

Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

This is a beautiful hotel right in the centre of town. My husband and I stayed here 4 nights and wanted somewhere nice to stay while dealing with altitude sickness (we flew in from sea level). The room was really nice, had a window out to the shared courtyard and bottles of water were provided each day. We found some movies to watch in English on TV. There were great restaurants very close and lots of places to buy souvenirs. The shared balcony/courtyard looks right out on to the main street where we watched the Independence Day parade. The central location meant we could go out shopping and easily bring our bags back to the room, use the bathroom and go back out again. The computers in the lobby have Internet and are free for guests to use. Coca tea is available there 24/7 as well. We booked our bus to Copacabana with the tour guide on site which worked out perfect. The only downside I can think of is I was only offered eggs at breakfast sometimes, and once they never arrived. We loved our stay here and this is one of our top 3 hotels in South America.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed here for a week in June 2014. The room was not as we booked it, we had booked a room with a private balcony but were given one where there was no balcony and the window was permanently covered by fixed down curtains so that we had to have a light on all the time. I queried the room twice, and was each time told "We will talk about that later". Even the staff thought we were in a different room as they gave my son the wrong room number when he came to visit us and queried the room number we gave them at breakfast. The room they thought we were in DID have a balcony. Maybe I should have pushed it more, but my Spanish was not good, and the staff were not all that forthcoming, although they got more approachable as the week went on!

Apart from that the surroundings were clean and pretty and the location was very central. There was a permanent supply of tea and coffee in the lobby area, and computers for use by guests as well as free wifi throughout the hotel. The staff were willing to book taxis for us, both to visit the Valley of the Moon, and back to the airport at 5am! The sun terrace on the roof was a lovely place to sit, and from a platform built at the front you could look over the main street through the city and watch the world go by. We had a beer up there (brought to us on the terrace by the staff) and it took them 4 days to clear the empty bottles and glasses from the table - it's obviously not used very often!!

Breakfast was not great - continental style, but just a plate of ham and cheese covered in cling film and a variety of breads. There were also cereals and fruits. They ran out of orange juice half way through the week and never got any more. The coffee machine was often empty. If you could catch a member of staff as they came through (there was no-one permanently in the room) you could get eggs, which were nice. They were playing easy listening music in the restaurant, but this was competing with loud radio music coming from the kitchen.

Would I stay there again? Probably, but I would get breakfast out!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights at La Casona. It was a great experience. Very friendly and helpful stuff who spoke perfect English. The bed we had was the biggest bed I have ever seen. Very comfortable too. Nice breakfast to get you going for the day. Location is great for exploring all the sights of La Paz.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2014

La Casona Hotel-Boutique is a Treasure - It is a Monastry, renovated and refurbished by 2 lady architects in a modern fashion, but yet keeping its old architecture design. - I spent 2 nights together with my husband and adult daughter in April this year. The Hotel is very centrally located, rooms are very clean and comfortable, restaurant meals are excellent and reasonably priced, staff speak good English and are always ready to help. Free fast internet in the lobby 24/7. We liked their stone-baked bread rolls and the waiter always remembered to set us some aside at breakfast & evening dinner during our 3 day stay, which was so much appreciated. We recommend this Hotel and will surely stay here again without a doubt.

Room Tip: Rooms are all good.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed in this hotel for business reasons for almost 2 weeks. The staff does everything to make your stay perfect.
And.....they sell the best coffee in Bolivia.

Go there and find out that price and product are balanced.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window!!!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business