“Dissapointing”

Ranked #63 of 76 Hotels in La Paz
Cusco, Peru
“Dissapointing”
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Myself and a few friends stayed here for 4 days in the same dorm. On the final day, I'd left my iPod to charge in the room. I was out with everyone from the room for lunch, we locked the door, so the only people win access to the room were employees. Came back to find the iPod gone with charger and adaptor. I informed the reception staff about what happened and to see if anyone had handed it in, they just glanced at each other and said no. Just thought I'd put this on to let people know to lock your things away at all times. Don't believe the sign on the front window either, the steaks are a joke.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms to choose from.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2014

after arriving in la paz quite late and trekking around hostels for a room we came across Hostal Republica. They were also fully booked in the cheaper rooms but offered us the more expensive suit which by that point we accepted for a night. There was a group of us and the room was for 5 with a bathroom and kitchen area. This was great as it meant we could cook as the hostal did not include breakfast. The restaurant offered a nice selection of food just not a very varied selection and was fairly pricey. The room was nice and comfortable but very pricey, we ended up paying bs./110 per person per night. The staff were fairly polite and welcoming and the hostal had access 24 hours but I would not go back just simply for the price.

Room Tip: Try and book in advanced and go for one of the rooms on the upper level as it can get quite noisy.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

Just checked in to this quiet and central Hostal after several days in the mountains. The patios are inviting, however the tidiness of the cleaning staff impacts the feel of the place. Our double bedroom is spacious, however terribly old with stained carpet, wallpaper coming of the wall and door lock feeling insecure. Shared bathrooms are also very old, some showers with door missing resulting in flooded floors and no hand soap. We decided to join the free beer tasting at the cafeteria and ordered some food which was very disappointing in taste and quantity. We left hungry and smelling horribly of grease.
Overall quite disappointing!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AF1183

Travellers are raving about these La Paz hotels

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 27 February 2014

The hostel is overpriced with unhelpful rude staff. I booked a tour to the Uyuni salt fields in with the tour agency, big mistake! I never usually book ahead but I wanted something convenient after a 12 hour bus. On their advertising they state ask about a bilingual guide, I was assured the driver would be able to speak English & paid extra for this. The driver was no more than a beer drinking taxi driver, who couldn't understand a word of English never mind speak it. On all 3 days he forgot to bring lunch, day 1 & 2 we went back adding a few hours driving on the day. Day 3 we went 8 hours without food & ate in the the hostel we stayed in on the 1st night which was a dirty fly ridden dump! As they were not expecting us we were offered cold rice & corned beef.

Before the trip started I called the agency to change to another car they informed me I could either get in the car booked or lose my money. When I tried to speak they spoke over me & eventually hung up on me. Do yourself a favour & book your tour when you arrive in Uyuni when you get off the bus there are more options. I also paid 200b more than everyone-else in the care bu booking with republica. Also note they do not respond to negative comments on tripadvisor, clearly they don't care, once they have your money they're done.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Aaa85
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We used this Hostal as a base whilst visiting Bolivia and had 4 separate stays in different bedrooms. The Hostal building is based on two very attractive courtyards and an external garden area. There is a cosy bar/cafe and courtyard sitting areas. The reception staff are very efficient and Marionella is very welcoming in the bar/cafe. We liked the quiet and general ambiance of the Hostal. The room rates are reasonable. Although we generally booked ahead the Hostal were quite flexible about last minute changes and quite helpful. Overall we were very satisfied with this friendly Hostal.

Room Tip: The best bedrooms are on the balconies and to the rear of the garden area.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We visited Bolivia for independent travel in Sept/Oct '13 and found the hostal ideal as a base for the usual trips and tours. Reception and luggage storage was very reliable as was arranging taxi pick-ups. Rooms were variable but always clean and all staff very friendly especially Marinella in the small 'restaurant'. The location is great being quiet yet so close to the main square.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank 201Judy
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 27 December 2013

The hostel is fine, but their travel agency Tours Republica across the street will lie to get more money out of you. Do not book with them. They offered me a 150 BOB "upgrade" on a 3D/2N tour that gave me absolutely nothing extra, this was on top of their price which was already 50 BOB more than the place next door. My upgrade was supposed to provide warmer and better accommodation and better food, but from speaking to people, our accommodation and food was actually worse. I think the tour agency just pocketed the money.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo